ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Switzerland

(9 Posts)
Jamrollypolly Wed 26-Mar-14 16:41:43

Hi

My family (dh, dd 13 & ds 8) and I will be visiting Switzerland for 4 nights over the Easter holidays. We are staying in Geneva but have hired a car.
I would really love to go on one of the scenic trains like the golden pass, has anyone been on it? Is it worth it? There appears to be a lot of passes online, which is very confusing, but I'm not sure if they are worth it for a 4 night trip.

What are the must see sites? Would anyone like to share any local knowledge? Dos and don'ts. I am aware Switzerland is very expensive, where is the best place to eat out? Do they cater well for vegetarians? I know when I have been to Paris I found it very difficult, although things may have improved now. Do most people understand English? I am a little rusty.

I know there is a holiday section on the site but I would really appreciate advice from people who are or have lived in Switzerland too, to get a local perspective!

Thanks

LondonForTheWeekend Wed 26-Mar-14 21:10:14

My Sister and family took the Bernina Express and thought it amazing. Another took the Jungfraujoch and definitely thought it was worth it.

I don't know Geneva very well but think the whole country is stunning!

Switzerland is v. Expensive. The only place that I think has value is the Manor (department store) restaurants which do a Kinderteller (kids meal with proper food) for CHF 6.

LondonForTheWeekend Wed 26-Mar-14 21:12:33

Vegetarians are not fantastically catered for although the is a mid-price chain called Ti'bits which serves (delicious) vegetarian food.
What sort of accommodation are you using?

Jamrollypolly Sun 30-Mar-14 16:44:14

Thanks. We are staying just over the border in Ferney Voltaire. We accidentally booked it believing it was in Geneva but have been assured it's quite close. Does anyone have experience of crossing the border between Geneva and Ferney Voltaire?

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 31-Mar-14 10:54:49

Just make sure the car has an up to date Vignette on it to get to Switzerland, if you do they'll most likely wave you through.

There are rules about what you can take over the border but that's mainly for locals shopping in France e.g. 500g of red meat per person, 5 liters of milk etc. you can download a copy online.

Jamrollypolly Mon 31-Mar-14 17:33:33

We are hiring the car from Geneva airport do hire cars already have a vignette on? Any tips on driving?

LIZS Mon 31-Mar-14 17:36:00

It should have a vignette but do check if you collect on the French side of the airport.

MistyB Mon 31-Mar-14 17:46:01

Ferney is literally on the border, no problems crossing into Switzerland. If you have hired your car on the Swiss side in the airport, it will have a vignette, but if on the French side, we have been caught before without a vignette and it was a nightmare, why we didn't just buy one at the border, I will never know!

Train journeys are really expensive! We have done one from Interlaken into the mountains which was amazing though quite a drive there and back in one day.

Lake cruise from Nyon to Yvoire is nice.

As for vegi food, not great really, fondue? Bains de Paquis is a lovely place to eat in the centre of town though you might be limited to cheese and salad. Brunch perhaps?

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 01-Apr-14 21:17:00

Options for vegetarians are usually pizza, pasta or raclette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now