UK police applying abroad....please talk to me.

(6 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 25-Mar-14 04:08:49

currently thinking about applying to australia. I would love to hear from other uk police who have gone abroad - where did you go and how have you found it?

its a huge move. the only other person i know who moved from uk police to australian police ended up coming back.

but am seriously considering applying. if not now, then in the next year or so.
what are the considerations?
i have grown up children - one with SN. could they come too?
would really like to hear from anyone who has done this move...in this job.

thanks.

giggly Tue 25-Mar-14 16:10:38

You will get lots of info on British expats website, I do know here in WA don't want any cops with more than 10 years service. Something to do with having to much experiencewink

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:47:29

ive only got 4 years in. I would only do it tho if the kids could come too.

Cornedbeefpie Wed 26-Mar-14 00:54:54

As giggly says, check out the britishexpats.com website as it has loads of info and you'll be able to check visa requirements for bringing adult children. Everything has changed since we came to live in Oz so I can't offer any advice about the process of application.

We do love living here but crime rates have risen. There is a lot of gang related and bikie gang crime, shootings and stabbings are always in the news but I would say most people feel generally safe in the community. I only know one police officer within my group of friends and they have just returned to work after being on stress leave. I can't imagine the toll it takes, so many incidents that police have to deal with in their line of work that none of us would really think of. So, probably same shit, different (sunny) bucket?

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 26-Mar-14 00:56:58

sounds like it corned
i was off with stress last year. the difference is with oz police is you are armed routinely.....

not sure i want that but i would have plenty of time to reflect....

and the fitness test looks a killer.....

glastocat Sat 05-Apr-14 03:39:40

I'm in Perth and there was an ad on my FB page last week looking for uk and Irish cops to emigrate here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now