Anyone moved their parents out to oz?

(19 Posts)
Schoolparkingwoes Thu 20-Feb-14 22:19:13

We're thinking of a move to oz in the near future and the inky sticking point for me would be my mum. She'd have to come out with us. I'm happy for thus as she's on her own and I'm the only child. We would also look for her to reside with us, us covering her living costs etc.

how easy is this in oz? She will prob be in her 60's and not working.

echt Fri 21-Feb-14 06:11:00

I would get your self over to pomsinoz. Just google "getting parents into oz" and a lot of threads will pop up.

Your mum isn't working so I'm guessing you would at least have to have PR or citizenship to guarantee she won't be a burden to OzGov. (Sorry to put it that way). You will be asked, no doubt to provide proof of income.

differentnameforthis Fri 21-Feb-14 07:24:26

Yes, it is my understanding (from when we applied) that you will need to prove she can support herself, or you can support her. We had to prove we could do it for 2yrs, but not sure how it would work with an older person & not working.

giggly Fri 21-Feb-14 16:20:15

My understanding is that your mum would need a dependants visa which I think is about $ 50000. As you are an only child she would be allowed in under this visa, if she meets all the other criteria.

Her pension is not index linked so she will not get the full Uk allowance and you have to work/ be resident for 10 years prior to retirement to be able to claim in Oz.

The dept of immigration change their rules every July so best to check on their website.

I have met a few older parents who have come out with their family but have found it very hard to make friends and get lonely when the house is out at school/work.depends on the individual I suppose.

Good luck.

chloeb2002 Fri 21-Feb-14 22:58:39

I think in addition to the visa fee. Which looking online varied between $500 to $3500 initial fee, dependant visas mean you have to have in accessible funds up to $250,000 to support your parents living costs. The straight non dependant parent visa has a current 13 year backlog. Yes .. Years, my mum who is 65 is looking at applying now as by the time she is 75 ish she may feel ready to retire by the sea! wink It's the cheapest visa at $500 to apply. Should she choose to move sooner she will sell everything she has and use it as her " dependant" funds. The other catch his that to have a parent visa in most cases the child needs to be a citizen not just a resident,

chloeb2002 Fri 21-Feb-14 23:04:12

There is a temporary family visa for 2 years. Which is kinder! Fee about 2500$. Then allows you to assure sponsorship.
The contributory parent visa allows you to pay $14000 as assure bond for 10 years your parent cannot access social security. Will be eligible for reciprocal healthcare tho! If uk citizen.
Lots of options. None if then as easy as you may hope! hmm

CadleCrap Sat 22-Feb-14 06:38:07

My Mum has moved this year. The parents visa can take 10 (or longer) years to get from out side Oz and costs about $45,000 to fast track it down to 2 years.

There are other options, including bridging visas.

Schoolparkingwoes Sat 22-Feb-14 09:52:59

Thanks all. It's so confusing! She will prob be living with us in the uk when we decide to apply. Will it be possible for her to move out with us? Not sure where she would live if we had to go first and her follow. I read somewhere that you have to live out there for 2 years before parents are allowed to apply?

CadleCrap Sat 22-Feb-14 10:28:30

Depends on your visa. Do you have permanent residency?

Schoolparkingwoes Sat 22-Feb-14 18:23:47

Not yet. We haven't even applied but plan to, when out there

chloeb2002 Sun 23-Feb-14 08:42:05

Cradle cap that's interesting about a fast track. wink Allotted to back of mind!
No you can't add a parent onto a family visa. Family visa is just applicants and children. Parents are not dependents :0(

Imsosorryalan Sun 23-Feb-14 17:42:13

chloeb going back to the two year temp. visa, how do you secure sponsorship?

chloeb2002 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:10:21

Home Navigation
Skip to site navigation (Press Enter)
Skip to secondary navigation (Press Enter)
Skip to main content (Press Enter) Your country: Flag of AustraliaAustralia Help & support
Find a visa
Find the right visa for your needs
Home > Live in Australia > 884
Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
Features
This visa lets older parents live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

You can apply separately for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 864) to stay in Australia permanently. ​

Requirements
You might be able to get this visa if you:

are in Australia
are sponsored
meet age requirements
meet the balance-of-family test
are prepared to pay much higher visa application charges for faster processing.
Apply Now
About this visa

The Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) lets older parents live in Australia for up to two years if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

This visa is temporary and cannot be extended or renewed.​ After the visa is approved, you have two years to apply for a Permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864). In this way, you can spread the costs of the Contributory Aged Parent migration over a number of years.

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. Your sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged.

You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa. You can apply only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

More information
More information is available from the Parent Migration booklet.

What this visa lets you do
Before you apply
No further stay condition
Cost
Visa applicants

This information tells you what you need to do to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884).

You must be in Australia when you apply. You can apply only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be in Australia when the visa is decided.

Who could get this visa
The balance-of-family test
Including family in your application
How to apply
After you have applied
Visa decision
Document checklist
Visa holders

This information is for people who have already been granted a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts
What this visa lets you do
Your obligations
Sponsors

This information is for someone who wants to sponsor a parent for a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884). You can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.

Who can be a sponsor
Sponsor obligations
As a sponsor you must give a written undertaking to provide support for your parent(s) for their first two years in Australia. This also applies to any accompanying dependent family members.

During this period, you must provide:

support
accommodation
financial assistance.
Estimate the cost of your visa
What date will you be lodging your application?

How many additional applicants will be 18 years of age or older when you lodge your application?

How many additional applicants will be younger than 18 years of age when you lodge your application?

Please select a currency you would like the price displayed in?
* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.

Price starts from AUD 5,280.00

How this price is calculated
ProductQuantityPrice
UU884 Contrib Aged Parent VAC1 Other13,520.00
Additional Applicant Charge 18+11,760.00
GST0.00
TotalAUD 5,280.00
Price starts from AUD 0.00

How this price is calculated
ProductQuantityPrice
UU884 Contrib Aged Parent VAC1 Newborn10.00
GST0.00
TotalAUD 0.00
The Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator does not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.
FAQs
How can I communicate with the department?
How can I update my address or passport details?
How much will a label cost?
Do I need a visa to transit through Australia?
Who can translate my documents into English for me?
What is a regional area and low population growth metropolitan area?
More FAQs
Popular
About document fraud
About migration fraud
About migration agents
Free document translating service
Partner migration booklet (543 kB PDF)
Child migration booklet (510 kB PDF)
Parent migration booklet (533 kB PDF)
Other family migration (477 kB PDF)
Change of Address/Passport details form (88 kB PDF)
Change of circumstances form (77 kB PDF)
Request for international movement record form (107 kB PDF)
Success stories

​Tar's story starts in the Burmese village of Palu, where she lived until at the age of three.

Read more...
Follow usDepartment of Immigration & Border Protection on Facebook Department of Immigration & Border Protection on Twitter Department of Immigration & Border Protection on LinkedIn Department of Immigration & Border Protection on Instagram Department of Immigration & Border Protection on Storify Department of Immigration & Border Protection on Youtube Department of Immigration & Border Protection on Flickr Department of Immigration & Border Protection - Migration bloc
Minister's website Assistant Minister's website
people our business​

chloeb2002 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:12:02

That's off the dept immi. Calculated cost if you applied in say may. It's an on shore application.
I forgot to check your residency requirements.

chloeb2002 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:04

You need to be at minimum a permanent resident. wink

Imsosorryalan Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:31

So if we lived there for two years and then got pr?. We could then apply for temp. Visa for my mum to come over for two years and then apply for a parent cont. visa? It says she will need to be in oz when the visa is given. Does that mean it's usually granted within two years of her temp. Visa? Otherwise would she get a bridging visa?

Imsosorryalan Sun 23-Feb-14 20:34:19

Could you link to this info too please. Thanks so much for your help. I'm just trying to get my head round it all!

chloeb2002 Mon 24-Feb-14 04:36:41

Argh I googled .. Parent visa Australia.
It's on www.immi.gov.au
But my phone won't let me see the whole link!

Imsosorryalan Mon 24-Feb-14 09:13:10

thanks. I'll have a looksmile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now