Shipping, need tips and advice.

(15 Posts)
CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 05:51:48

I am just about to shop around for a moving company to ship our things back to the UK. I have done quite a few local moves, but this is a big move from Asia to the UK. I have a lot of nice things that I have collected and a lot of teak and paintings that are very sentimental to us and cost a fair bit!

A few of my friends mentioned that when they got their shipment UK end, a lot of it was moody and had to be binned. I really don't want to do this as everything we are moving home, is very dear to us. And so I need tips as to what questions to ask my movers, what they can do to protect my things and other valuable tips to ensure my shipment arrives in one piece and in good condition.

Any tips, please.

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 05:52:14

mouldy, not in a mood LOL. grin

chloeb2002 Wed 22-Jan-14 12:10:07

Depending what you pack I guess. I have had problems moving from uk to aus. Mouldy mattress. I was told it was treated by immigration as it's covered in wool. I know I could tell which of my horse stuff was treated and which was missed. The treated stuff was green and furry. hmm

Isthiscorrect Wed 22-Jan-14 17:16:26

We have always used Crown and they have been excellent. Both from the Uk to ME, part move the same, internal move. They were happy to answer any questions, to make suggestions and estimated the contents size perfectly.
Good luck. We also have teak and carpets which could give me sleepless nights.

BrennanHasAMangina Wed 22-Jan-14 19:35:07

Mould!?!? Really!?! Eek!

Our movers are coming on Friday to start packing (Canada to UAE). I hadn't thought about this...bit worried about my leather boots and handbags.

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 23:51:28

I would take them in your suitcases Brennan TBH.

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 23:55:37

Thanks for the tips. I think I am going to make sure I go with a good firm. The company is paying for it, so I think I will make sure I get all the things I think I need. A lot of my friends went for the cheapest shippers as they were paying for it themselves.

One thing I am thinking of doing is going to Daiso (1 pound Japanese shop) and buying lots of those big plastic storage bags, the ones where you suck out the air to store clothes and other linen etc. Also they sell dehumidifier strips which you can put in boxes, bags. I think we are going to take quite a few suitcases with us on the plane so I a planning on taking my jewellery, clothes, boots and shoes like that.

Someone told me that if your container is on top of the ship it can all get a bit wet. A few of my friends had very mouldy clothes and so I think the bag and dehumidifier strips are a good idea for that.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 02:09:07

There is always the risk the container will leak. No shipping company can guarantee that won't happen. We used Interdean from Europe to Asia and had some damage - hi fi stopped working, small damage to a cupboard, one smashed jewellery box and one games console was stolen. We made a claim and everything was sorted really quickly with full payment. Smaller items of sentimental value I would take on the plane. Also if you or partner is travelling to uk before the move take some items with you then.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 02:09:57

Forgot to say, think your idea about going to adios is sensible.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 02:33:12

Daiso - not adios!

Shipping companies add thousands of packets of dehumidifying gel to everything and normally have some heavy duty dehumidifier a hanging in the container too. We shipped a 40ft container from Asia to USA this summer, took 8 weeks and no damage or mould at all. In fact, in several cross continent shipments over the years, we've only lost a couple of glass items due to breakages, no mould ever.

JellyTipisthebest Thu 23-Jan-14 05:42:11

Ask how they pack the stuff on the day? Ours was double wrapped in waxed paper an they made a special box for the telly. our leather sofas where wrapped in card and the spacial paper. Ask about insurance? We packed a few boxes ourself so we could really stuff it full. Boxes you pack yourself we could leave open and then they asked what was in them for the inventory and then sealed them. This meant they could say they had packed them which is good for customs. We were going uk to Nz. We used anglo pacific.

CreamSodaFloat Thu 23-Jan-14 10:42:45

Thank you for all the responses. It's all great advice to put the jigsaw together. We have already/ are in the process of selling a lot of our appliances as they are pretty old now and DH is one of those men that has to upgrade his gadgets at any opportunity. Also we hung onto our sofas until they were on their last legs. I am presently sitting on a 2 seater sofa (for 4 of us) with a dodgy spring making it all a bit uncomfortable. Most of our shipping will be teak furniture, a few Chinese wedding cabinets and pictures and kitchen stuff. There is a lot of sentimental stuff in there so we really want to ship it in one piece.

Shanghai, I am planning on doing a big Daiso blitz before we leave anyway and taking it back in the shipping. I don't know if they have them in the UK and pound land doesn't seem to be as entertaining. Where else can I get my oil face blotters and wrapping paper with mad stuff written on it grin

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 10:46:40

I discovered Daiso when I was in Tokyo in October - spent ages in there. Kids had to practically drag me out in the end. All my friends now have oil face blotters!

CreamSodaFloat Thu 23-Jan-14 11:00:02

I was in there today and I saw nappies for dogs. A bargain at S$2 a packet.
Unfortunately I do not have a dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now