Shipping, need tips and advice.

(15 Posts)
CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 05:51:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 05:52:14

chloeb2002 Wed 22-Jan-14 12:10:07

Depending what you pack I guess. I have had problems moving from uk to aus. Mouldy mattress. I was told it was treated by immigration as it's covered in wool. I know I could tell which of my horse stuff was treated and which was missed. The treated stuff was green and furry. hmm

Isthiscorrect Wed 22-Jan-14 17:16:26

We have always used Crown and they have been excellent. Both from the Uk to ME, part move the same, internal move. They were happy to answer any questions, to make suggestions and estimated the contents size perfectly.
Good luck. We also have teak and carpets which could give me sleepless nights.

BrennanHasAMangina Wed 22-Jan-14 19:35:07

Mould!?!? Really!?! Eek!

Our movers are coming on Friday to start packing (Canada to UAE). I hadn't thought about this...bit worried about my leather boots and handbags.

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 23:51:28

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 23:55:37

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 02:09:07

There is always the risk the container will leak. No shipping company can guarantee that won't happen. We used Interdean from Europe to Asia and had some damage - hi fi stopped working, small damage to a cupboard, one smashed jewellery box and one games console was stolen. We made a claim and everything was sorted really quickly with full payment. Smaller items of sentimental value I would take on the plane. Also if you or partner is travelling to uk before the move take some items with you then.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 02:09:57

Forgot to say, think your idea about going to adios is sensible.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 02:33:12

Daiso - not adios!

butterfliesinmytummy Thu 23-Jan-14 02:38:27

Shipping companies add thousands of packets of dehumidifying gel to everything and normally have some heavy duty dehumidifier a hanging in the container too. We shipped a 40ft container from Asia to USA this summer, took 8 weeks and no damage or mould at all. In fact, in several cross continent shipments over the years, we've only lost a couple of glass items due to breakages, no mould ever.

JellyTipisthebest Thu 23-Jan-14 05:42:11

Ask how they pack the stuff on the day? Ours was double wrapped in waxed paper an they made a special box for the telly. our leather sofas where wrapped in card and the spacial paper. Ask about insurance? We packed a few boxes ourself so we could really stuff it full. Boxes you pack yourself we could leave open and then they asked what was in them for the inventory and then sealed them. This meant they could say they had packed them which is good for customs. We were going uk to Nz. We used anglo pacific.

CreamSodaFloat Thu 23-Jan-14 10:42:45

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 10:46:40

I discovered Daiso when I was in Tokyo in October - spent ages in there. Kids had to practically drag me out in the end. All my friends now have oil face blotters!

CreamSodaFloat Thu 23-Jan-14 11:00:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now