Christmas separation anxiety - how to put on a brave face?

(7 Posts)
Robfordscrack Fri 27-Dec-13 18:42:56

Happy Christmas everyone!!!

Robfordscrack Fri 27-Dec-13 18:42:26

All good this side at the moment thank you. I am keeping positive but I do miss my family. I am lucky in many ways though. I definitely felt sorry for the Christmas travellers stuck at the airport. I definitely need a plan to go back at some stage even if it's in a year or 2 to visit.

RaspberryRuffle Fri 27-Dec-13 10:55:22

I have this too. I watched coverage of all the hassle at airports and was grateful not to be caught up in it. We had as far as possible the traditional dinner we would've had in the UK. It's hard being away, I've lived abroad for 8 years and been home for 3 Christmases. I too give myself some time to be sorry for myself about missing out, I end up feeling disproportionately weepy at Christmas films. If I am indulging myself too much I think of people who are less fortunate and remember I'm lucky (cheesy but true). How are you OP?

Cerisier Tue 24-Dec-13 01:18:42

I find it helpful to remember all the hassles I am avoiding by being abroad.

Robfordscrack Tue 24-Dec-13 01:13:15

Thanks Weta definitely helps to know I am not alone smile

Weta Mon 23-Dec-13 21:56:26

I've been away for 8 years now, plus 5 years at an earlier time, and I get this every year!! I just accept it and give myself the time I need to get over it really. I've also found it helps to have some Xmas treats from my old home plus some from my new home, somehow it makes me feel there is more of a link.

Robfordscrack Mon 23-Dec-13 21:07:45

I am really missing my family and roots at this time of the year. Although, I have my partner and son, I still have pining to be at 'home' and need to be alone for a few hours when the sadness hits before I can be normal again. Any mumsnetters who live abroad have coping tips for this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now