EIB Victor Hugo

(17 Posts)
OnourwaytoParis Sat 07-Dec-13 22:40:14

Hello

I'm new to this website, but very glad to have found it. As my nickname suggest, we're of to Paris, yay.

Hubby has got a job to start next year. We have to children 11 and 7. We will be in Paris for 3 years.

Now, here's our problem. The company will pay school fees, but we can't live in the suburbs, as much as we like the look of the British School of Paris. Hubby is working in central Paris and needs to get in early. Our children will be in the UK equivalent of Y6 and Y3 in Sept 14. I don't think our children would cope with the rigours of EABJM (although eldest recently assed 11+), learning a new language, new country etc. EIB Victor Hugo seems to be our best option, but on here it gets quite bad reviews/opinions. Is it really that bad? I would obviously like our children to learn and use French over the 3 years, but we seem a little short on schooling options.

Also, although I have seen a lot of American blogs with older children at EABJM. It seems the opinion on here, that older children should stick as much to their country type of education, if there for only 3/4 years or so.

Sorry if I've waffled.

runningmad Sun 08-Dec-13 09:30:29

Do you want English as the principle language of instruction (Victor Hugo) or French/English?

OnourwaytoParis Sun 08-Dec-13 10:22:33

Hi

I would ideally like Englsh/French instruction, but I am also fully aware of the constraints of returning to the UK and having a child in secondary education. This is where our problem lies.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

runningmad Sun 08-Dec-13 12:27:17

EAB Monceau (EIB Monceau) seems they just changed their name which is a smart move as EABJM was rather confusing!

Very expensive to live around there.

ISP if you don't mind more American type education, but not French there.

NotMoreFootball Sun 08-Dec-13 14:27:46

The BSP have a bus service from central Paris to the school, there are many, many children and staff who live in the city and go out to the British school everyday if that school is your preferred option.

Bonsoir Sun 08-Dec-13 16:59:59

I would prefer BSB to EIB Victor Hugo any day in your position. PM me if you want more info.

My DD is at EIB Monceau (same group).

unobtanium Sun 08-Dec-13 22:59:45

BSP buses run from all major points in central Paris. I know it very well, have one child there, and would recommend it without hesitation.

I also know parents at Victor Hugo and would advise against it too.

Have you ruled out bilingual options?

Think again about getting into BSP! I can PM you at length regarding BSP if you like

NomDeClavier Tue 10-Dec-13 11:19:22

I've not lived in Paris for nearly 5 years but I haven't heard stories of improvement at Victor Hugo and EABJM seems to be falling out of favour among my acquaintances. In your place I would plump for BSP.

Bonsoir Tue 10-Dec-13 13:44:49

There are lots of management and discipline issues at EABJM at the moment.

It's time for the aging management team to retire.

LivFran Tue 10-Dec-13 14:55:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

unobtanium Tue 10-Dec-13 15:05:22

Good solution, best of luck

Have you changed your name???

OnourwaytoParis Tue 10-Dec-13 15:12:09

Hi

No I used my friend/work colleagues phone. She's going to Brussels and I'm going to Paris. Both panicking about family situ.

But she has told me off and I considered myself told off. She's automatically logged on to mumsnet and introduced me.

Hi LV sorry smile

runningmad Tue 10-Dec-13 15:29:57

you need Mrschadenfreude, I think she sent her kids to ISP instead of BSP, closer to centre.

LivFran Tue 10-Dec-13 15:42:31

Hi

Good ideaOOWTP. Hope it works. You know what their like, but you never know. Don't forget to have our room ready for visits. smile

Bonsoir Tue 10-Dec-13 17:14:08

MrsSchadenfreude is the expert on ASP.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 11-Dec-13 21:17:18

Did someone call? grin

Mine went to ASP, which would be do-able from central Paris - there is a very regular train to Garches from St Lazare, if they won't pay bus fees (bus fees are eye-wateringly high). How did they fare there? Well they both loved it. DD2 has gone back into the UK system (she's now 13) and fitted back in very well. Despite the gloom and doom from our Education Adviser (self appointed, no education background whatsoever), she is not 1-2 years behind. She slotted right back in and is in the top set for everything in a semi-selective school DD1 (who is 15) is in an international school in UK, and again doing well. DD1's French (spoken) is pretty fluent, but DD2 hated French and couldn't be bothered.

A couple of my friends had kids at ISP and have both removed them, due to a big drugs problem in the high school (allegedly) and the fact that neither child had learned any French after 4 years there.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 11-Dec-13 21:17:52

You might want to look at Marymount in Neuilly as well - easily accessible from central Paris.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now