Sending stuff overseas

(13 Posts)
MaryIngalls Wed 04-Dec-13 12:11:40

We are moving from UK to Dubai early next year. We are renting out our UK house furnished, so not sending over any furniture. Want to take personal stuff (books, DD's toys and games, pots and pans, clothes, shoes etc) mainly to avoid having to go on a major shopping expedition right away, and also so DD has familiar stuff around her. We've called around some packers and movers (Pickfords, Crown etc) who have estimated 300 cubic feet and quoted upwards of £1300 and 6-12 weeks.
Anyone know of cheaper/ faster options? Happy to pack ourselves if that saves on cost.

MaryIngalls Wed 04-Dec-13 13:53:09

Has anyone used unaccompanied baggage/ airline cargo? Could you recommend any services please?

PeriPathetic Wed 04-Dec-13 14:00:11

If you pack it yourself you may not be covered by insurance.
And 6-12 weeks is the standard. It usually arrives around 6-8 weeks in. There's a lot of bureaucracy ie customs to go through which, along with the actual ship, takes the time. Ships aren't fast!

I would recommend Crown, but not Pickfords.
and for UAF I've used DHL. It's expensive, but so worth it for a few extra suitcases or boxes.

MaryIngalls Wed 04-Dec-13 14:10:38

Thanks PeriPathetic. I don't need a partial container, just a few boxes. The stuff I am planning to move won't be very much, taking them mostly to help DD feel at home. Wonder if there are any cheaper options out there? A google search reveals names like excess baggage company and anglo pacific. No idea if they are worth considering?

giggly Wed 04-Dec-13 14:55:00

Check out courier companies like parcel monkey. I am in Oz and friends got them to send out boxes recently.

Salbertina Wed 04-Dec-13 15:30:00

Pay airline for excess baggage with extra suitcases. On BA this was only £90 per case, surprisingly and way most affordable option.

Isthiscorrect Wed 04-Dec-13 17:14:33

I would wholeheartedly recommend Crown to Dubai. They shipped our container a number of years ago. They also shipped a number of boxes last year for me. It was a very stressful time and I even gave them carrier bags of photos and they packed them for me. Their service is second to none and worth every penny in my humble opinion.

I know it doesn't help now but we use sky net to send boxes back (ds off to uni) reasonably priced.

MaryIngalls Wed 04-Dec-13 21:14:59

Isthiscorrect - Crown v expensive unfortunately, though I have heard high praise elsewhere too.
Salbertina - it seems likely that we won't be able to fly any other airline except Emirates. Surprisingly I cant find any excess baggage prices on the website, maybe I need to give them a call.
Giggly - I will have a look thanks

Does anyone know how unaccompanied baggage works? Any links much appreciated.

Isthiscorrect Thu 05-Dec-13 02:39:34

Emirates are normally very helpful. Firstly sign up for their affiliate scheme skywards miles. Then call skywards and give them your flight details and let them know you are emigrating they are very helpful regarding extra luggage. And you do know with them you get 10kgs for hand luggage (expect to argue to toss over that at the uk airports but it is on their website).

MaryIngalls Thu 05-Dec-13 09:58:31

Just signed up to Emirates Skywards, thanks. Would anyone have any idea how unaccompanied baggage works?

TerrorAustralis Sat 07-Dec-13 17:26:36

I did unaccompanied baggage years ago between France and Australia. My understanding is that it goes on a flight when they have room, but it shouldn't take more than a week or two. I then had to pick it up from a warehouse near the airport when it arrived. But there may be companies with a delivery option (or a more convenient pick up location).

It's cheaper than excess baggage charges (which is why they have counters at the airport departure areas) but it might not be cheaper than pre-purchased extra baggage.

Not sure about Emirates, but most airlines will have an option to purchase extra luggage when you log on and go into the 'manage my booking' function.

MaryIngalls Sun 08-Dec-13 15:29:38

Thanks Terror, I have been looking at intercargo.co.uk that seems to search across websites to give you indicative quotes

casperthefriendlyghost Tue 07-Jan-14 20:40:26

Hi - not sure if you are still looking but we moved to Jordan in the summer and used u-bag who airfreighted our stuff out. We had around 12 boxes which came to approx 300kg and cost around £1500. The service was brilliant - we chose door to door. We packed everything up then they picked it up and shipped it to us in Jordan and delivered it (eventually - but not their fault, Jordan customs scam) direct to our new apartment. the process only takes a few days because it is airfreight but it can take longer if it gets held up by customs and there is no telling if this will happen or not. Like you I didn't want to pack weeks and weeks in advance and really only brought personal items for us and my 3 littlies as our apartment here is fully furnished. It would be well worth considering taking some of it on the plane though - I recently discovered that easyjet actually allow each passenger 3 hold bags of 20kgs each - at a relatively low cost if booked online. Had I known that I probably would have brought more that way. That would of course mean making sure you had a nice big van to take you and pick you up from the airport though!! But it does mean you have more stuff to hand straight away (assuming airlines don't lose it..) which will help everyone settle quicker. Good luck with the move!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now