Urgent advice pls - Schools in France -Neuilly or Levallois-Perret

(21 Posts)
america Thu 05-Dec-13 11:39:43

Fantastic. Thanks. I sent you a PM.

Bonsoir Thu 05-Dec-13 10:34:19

It might help your "dossier" - you are supposed to have good reasons for requesting a school out of catchment.

Bonsoir Thu 05-Dec-13 10:33:38

If you want names of families who have recommended La Saussaye to you, PM me and I will give you four.

Bonsoir Thu 05-Dec-13 10:29:58

Oh fab. I really recommend La Saussaye (but talk to me again when it comes to collège - you won't want the catchment collège André Maurois!).

america Thu 05-Dec-13 10:26:02

I spoke to the mairie again and we can request places at La Saussaye too. Phew, can I breath again now smile This is so stressful.

Bonsoir Thu 05-Dec-13 10:23:53

I've just checked - the school is a joint school between Neuilly and Levallois. Not so good.

Bonsoir Thu 05-Dec-13 10:20:39

I don't know anyone whose children go there BUT the Ile de la Jatte is full of very expensive properties and is probably fine.

america Thu 05-Dec-13 10:02:26

Ecole Elémentaire Edith Gorce-Franklin to be exact.

america Thu 05-Dec-13 09:59:04

Goodness. It is Ile de la Jatte. Should I panic?

Bonsoir Wed 04-Dec-13 12:30:06

The swimming pool and sports/leisure centre in Neuilly is really good with lots of activities on Wednesday for DC.

Bonsoir Wed 04-Dec-13 12:25:40

I hope your catchment school is La Saussaye (A or B) as they are fine.

america Wed 04-Dec-13 12:01:48

My thoughts exactly. I am so worried that things will go wrong with DC, particularly as my X is not helpful at all. I am starting to wonder if I can pull this off. And feeling very, very scared.

But I will call the mairie and check the catchment area before signing the lease. One step at the time.

Bonsoir Wed 04-Dec-13 11:47:50

The social mix in Levallois is a lot broader than in Neuilly, with the usual accompanying issues! I know that's not PC but I suspect you'd prefer a school with as few discipline and performance issues as possible, given that you will be a busy single working parent and you will want the school to be able to focus energy on helping your DC to integrate!

america Wed 04-Dec-13 11:26:19

Thank you again - Bonsoir in particular. Are state schools in Levallois particularly bad? That is very good go know.

Bonsoir Wed 04-Dec-13 07:31:16

I would avoid Levallois state schools like the plague, by the way.

Bonsoir Wed 04-Dec-13 07:24:56

Do you know which schools you are actually in catchment for? American Hospital might well be La Saussaye (opposite Marymount). If so, go for it because my DSSs went right through maternelle and primary there as did loads of our friends' and family's children, and it is really sound.

Bonsoir Wed 04-Dec-13 07:23:17

Neuilly. Ecole Bleue, if you can. Otherwise La Saussaye.

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 03-Dec-13 22:38:41

Neuilly is nicer, I agree. The area around So Ouest is a bit soulless in Levallois (although Levallois has a great market). No idea on schools, sorry, although you are likely to get quite a large number of expats in both. You need Bonsoir to advise you as she knows both areas.

unobtanium Mon 02-Dec-13 15:50:36

PS also advise you get onto Message Paris, great place to get advice on each school, practical help, advice and support for once you're here too. Good luck with the move!

unobtanium Mon 02-Dec-13 15:49:00

Do you want an international school? Ie would you like to continue their education in English 100%? I'm thinking immediately of ASP, Marymount, ISP, and if you want to go bilingual, places like EIB. You can reach them all relatively easily from either location Neuilly or Levallois-Perret, but I would tend to advise Neuilly as know so many expats there who love it -- nicer for kids.

america Mon 02-Dec-13 10:33:51

Could any of the Parisian mums help please? I have to choose urgently between two flats, one in Neuilly near the American Hospital and one in Levallois-Perret near the new shopping mall. Commute to work from the latter is much easier but the Neuilly area looks nicer. Which area has nicer schools for a 4YO and 6YO boys who don't speak French? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. The private catholic school in Levallois is full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now