Onsies - is it purely a UK phenomonen?

(102 Posts)

I see constant references to onsies on my fb newsfeed and sometimes on MN chat...

Is everyone in the UK wearing babygrows outside working hours?

Do people over the age of 2 wear "onsies" where you live?

I wanted to ask on "living overseas" because it sounds as if onsies have become "normal" in the UK, but I've never seen them in the shops here in Germany, and children who stay at ours for sleepovers don't bring babygrows onsies, so I don't think they exist.

Am I the only one living overseas who thinks the UK population have possibly gone a tiny bit loopy, with their apparently wholesale rush back into nursery sleepwear, or is it in fact perfectly normal?

smile

LidlAngel Fri 22-Nov-13 20:31:03

Order one from Marks and Spencer. You need one in your life. You really do.

Liara Fri 22-Nov-13 20:34:33

Never seen one in France.

:D I honestly don't Lidl - we have a woodburning stove for a cozy living room, and thick winter duvets... plus I'm a size 18, I'd look like an enormous actual baby... sad I think my DD might like one, but my DS1 would probably have to be sedated to get him into a babygro onsie

AnnoyingOrange Fri 22-Nov-13 20:39:42

There are no onesies in the Orangery

SirChenjin Fri 22-Nov-13 20:43:03

They are the latest novelty items - no-one round here wears them outside, and only a very few adults I know have one (or will admit to having one grin).

Btw - isn't it spelt 'onesie'? Onsie = on-see, no? confused

BIWI Fri 22-Nov-13 20:46:11

I have a lovely fleecey onesie. It is so comfortable.

It doesn't have feet in it though. That would be seriously weird.

Sorry Sir (haha, apt name) you are absolutely right about my onesie/onsie spelling error blush

SirChenjin Fri 22-Nov-13 20:48:35

Sorry - just re-read my post and it sounds v cheeky blush. I was really just wondering out loud - is it onesie or onsie? confused

So Lidl are you in Germany? Or the Uk? Or elsewhere? Where are you other onEsie grin wearers? BIWI?

Hehe you were right though Sir grin

What I really want to know is whether they are "a thing" outside the uk...

SirChenjin Fri 22-Nov-13 20:57:18

I suspect that they are probably "a thing" in certain US States wink grin

MacaYoniandCheese Fri 22-Nov-13 21:04:56

Ugh. They are everywhere here (Canada). I passed a shop the other day that had a fleece camouflage one in the window. I almost vomited into my handbag. What happens if you need to go to the toilet?

MacaYoniandCheese Fri 22-Nov-13 21:07:12

...I've never actually seen anyone wearing one though. Are they meant to be streetwear or pyjamas?

tabulahrasa Fri 22-Nov-13 21:07:30

I don't know any adults that wear them, just children and teenagers.

I have seen adult ones for sale, but never actually seen an adult wearing one!

SeeJaneWin Fri 22-Nov-13 21:13:05

I have to say I haven't seen this in Europe outside of the UK. But I am ROFLing at your post.

I also love the fact that the marketing depts somewhere have decided that now 2-person onesies are THE THING for this season.

Christmas 2014, three-sies. You saw it here first.

Ah! Canada too... and possibly dodgy US syates? grin

You haven't seen adults weari g them, but all those fb statuses about wanting to get home and into a onesie...

Actually I am almost more surprised ultra self concious older kids and teens wea what looks like r baby sleep wear, than adults...

lovingmatleave Fri 22-Nov-13 21:17:00

They are indeed everywhere here in the uk. I bought one just today in fact as its so cold. I will wear it with PJs under and a dressing gown on top! I think you need to start a business importing onesies into Germany. Sounds like a huge untapped market!

LamaDrama Fri 22-Nov-13 21:17:36

here

I think these were the original ones, from years ago - start at £98 up to £150. Norweigein.

probably for posh people that go skiing

SeeJane seriously! 2 person onesies... that's a fire hazard surely? Call Health and Safety! How do you get off the sofa when the house burns down?

3bunnies Fri 22-Nov-13 21:26:15

Half the girls wear onesies home from swimming lessons in the evening and most of the girls and some of the boys 8/9yr olds, wore them to pyjama/ onesie day. One bonus though is that they stop the life cycle of threadworms! <lowers tone of thread with worms>

3bunnies Fri 22-Nov-13 21:27:40

We are in uk though.

Wow Lama those are ... expensive. I know a Swedish lady here who has set up an internet business and is trying to persuade everyone they need designer scandinavian snow suits to survive German winters, but people just keep spending 12.99 on Aldi ski jackets and 9.99 on ski trousers ( with all the fun of a near scrum to get them when they are in stock) instead of 200 on the Scandinavian version, and having the cheek to survive the winter smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now