Live in France? Join us for a gentil thread

(527 Posts)
TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 01-Oct-13 19:39:59

So how about a lovely supportive, information sharing thread for us mumsnetters living in France?
I've been here for two years, this is my second time living here so 4 years in total.
I have my moans about France, the paperwork, the driving but other than that I love it smile

MerdeAlor Mon 11-Aug-14 19:53:40

Fenouille your name doesn't refer to your location by any chance does it?
I'm in 31 too but I dont think I know you dont worry grin

velourvoyageur Mon 11-Aug-14 19:12:31

Merci smile
I guess I'll do that....don't mind paying a bit more.

LaChatte Sat 09-Aug-14 10:31:48

The longer the hair, the more expensive the cut (anything from a couple of euros to a tenner on top of the standard price). The best bet is to just ask around and try out a few over the months.

velourvoyageur Sat 09-Aug-14 10:22:49

Sorry to barge in!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of Franck Provost? It's the salon nearest to me. I know they're a chain and all over Paris, but then Toni and Guys is meant to be good and I've heard loads of horror stories about them.....

Also when they say 39 euro for cut/shampoo etc and they say just short hair, what does that mean! They don't deal with long hair at all?

Otherwise, can anyone recommend any cheapish/good indie salons in Paris? thanks in advance!

GreatAuntDinah Thu 07-Aug-14 10:31:44

Es I'd second that. A friend of mine has excellent social care for her very elderly parents through the local authorities with meals on wheels, home visits from the podiatrist, that sort of thing.

Ujjayi Wed 06-Aug-14 21:45:22

Brilliant. Thank you. BIL has started the ball rolling by contacting social services but they say we will have a 5-6 month wait before someone becomes available. DH and I will be in France from Saturday so will make some enquiries via the associations you mention bunnyfrance.

Thanks once again to you both for your help. MN comes to the rescue once more smile

bunnyfrance Wed 06-Aug-14 18:11:01

Going through an association "d'aide à la personne" will be much easier than trying to hire someone yourself. Again, the Mairie should be able to give you the names of some. That way, you can claim some of the cost off tax, and the Conseil Régional also subsidises care if the assistante sociale deems it necessary (as it sounds in your case).

Bonsoir Wed 06-Aug-14 16:02:27

aide a domicile?

Ujjayi Wed 06-Aug-14 10:47:37

Ah okay. One final question: what is the term of reference we should use for role we are looking to fill? DH and BiL are near-fluent french speakers but they are always keen to ensure they get this exactly right.

Bonsoir Wed 06-Aug-14 10:33:37

Maybe ask at the mairie if your FIL could have an assistante sociale allocated to him? A social worker would be aware of the care options in her town, so much better informed than the general pointers I can give here.

Ujjayi Wed 06-Aug-14 10:20:38

Thanks Bonsoir - very helpful and good to know that it isn't too much of an unusual role too which hopefully will make finding somebody much easier.

Bonsoir Wed 06-Aug-14 09:51:07

Ujjayi - you could try the local Pôle Emploi or put an ad in the local newspaper. That type of domestic role is relative usual in France. Some mairies (town councils) can help too - perhaps try there first.

Ujjayi Wed 06-Aug-14 09:30:37

I've already posted this question in the "Elderly Parents" section but thought I'd also give it a try here in the hope that someone may have suggestions ...

We need to find live-in support for my elderly FIL who lives close to Evian. He is in his 90's and it is becoming increasingly clear that he cannot continue to live unaided. As a family, we are aiming to support his wishes to remain in his own home for as long as we can. However, none of our family live in France and whilst the summer holidays mean that a "rota" of sorts is possible, this is just not sustainable long-term.

He doesn't need round-the-clock "nursing". What we are thinking of is a live-in housekeeper type role who would prepare meals, shop, clean the house, take him to any medical appointments etc.

I have no idea how we might go about finding such a person and wondered if any MNers currently resident in France would have any insight into how we could find somebody to take on this role e.g. agencies etc?

babybarrister Mon 28-Jul-14 16:39:38

Thanks -apparently the lawyer will need to be from that department ....

GreatAuntDinah Mon 28-Jul-14 14:31:38

Can't help, sorry, but I'll ask around!

babybarrister Sun 27-Jul-14 17:55:43

I am posting on behalf of a cousin living in Tarn et Garonne who needs a decent divorce lawyer- anyone have any recommendations?!

Thanks

themummyonthebus Fri 25-Jul-14 14:01:44

Eek LaChatte

LaChatte Fri 25-Jul-14 10:04:16

We were hit by a mini tornado on Sunday! It ripped all the ivy off the front of the house, flattened my beautiful garden and the hail pierced lots of little holes in the veranda roof!

Fenouille Fri 25-Jul-14 06:28:05

VERY intense thunderstorms woke my baby up at 5.30 today. On my day off grumble grumble. Any other 31ers listening to the hail?

Blimey, lightning just struck very close indeed. Thought the sky might fall on our heads.

GreatAuntDinah Wed 23-Jul-14 10:44:07

I am! we're a family of aoûtiens so I'm around for a few days yet smile

LaChatte Tue 22-Jul-14 21:17:23

No no, just curious! The thread is quite old, but no reason it can't keep going, I'm sure everyone is still here, somewhere...

Fenouille Mon 21-Jul-14 22:29:59

I've just realised this thread is a bit old. Hope I'm not too late to the party.

The third language is German LaChatte. Why? do I know you grin <narrows eyes>

LaChatte Mon 21-Jul-14 21:00:23

What is the third language?

Fenouille Mon 21-Jul-14 20:27:06

Can I join in? I'm in 31, been here 15 years on and off. Two small boys, the oldest started maternelle last September, the youngest is at a nounou - I work full time.

DH isn't French or English so we have a trilingual situation going on at home. DS1 is coping quite well so far, will have to see how DS2 gets on when he starts talking.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with France. I have lots of lovely French friends and colleagues but I find the general atmosphere here so negative. I too have a split personality and I am definitely more humorous (well, I hope so!) in English. But I constantly find myself looking for expressions that don't exist because they're so typically French. And I'm not sure I feel at home anywhere.

I suspect we will be lifers but that makes me a bit sad. But I also have elderly parents back home so will probably have to spend some time in the UK at some point. I guess that might be an opportunity to see if we want to move there full time.

Cooee to AA and others who I may have met on previous French threads.

GreatAuntDinah Mon 21-Jul-14 19:36:00

Hi LaChatte, nice to meet you. i've namechanged from upthread, I used to be NoelMamereGaelMonfils. I've been here since 1997, currently in the 93. Am also a fonctionnaire educ' nat'. There's a small group of us on FB as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now