Live in France? Join us for a gentil thread

(498 Posts)
TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 01-Oct-13 19:39:59

So how about a lovely supportive, information sharing thread for us mumsnetters living in France?
I've been here for two years, this is my second time living here so 4 years in total.
I have my moans about France, the paperwork, the driving but other than that I love it smile

SDhopeful Thu 10-Oct-13 19:49:12

Please include me in...

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 10-Oct-13 19:53:09

PetiteRaleuse yes please, I think that's a great idea.

aliciaflorrick Thu 10-Oct-13 20:13:30

Petit that sounds good.

Herisson Thu 10-Oct-13 20:26:26

Might I be allowed to join as a possible future expat? I don't know if it's going to work out for us or not but I really want to be allowed to come and pick your brains when I need to!

Herisson Thu 10-Oct-13 20:44:09

BTW, my aunt has Sky in France and loves it. The set up costs were eye-watering but the service has been very good and she loves being able to get the news etc. If anyone is in SW France, I can get the name of the company who came and did all the installation for her, if helpful.

castlesintheair Thu 10-Oct-13 20:45:48

Petitraleuse, yes please please include me.

My dcs are still learning french but I hope they will be bilingual one day.

AuldAlliance Thu 10-Oct-13 21:40:22

I've been lurking assiduously, but it's all a bit manic with work and kids here, so haven't managed any posts.
I'd be up for a FB page. Count me in.
<<waves to Belgianchox and Jamaisjedors>>

frozentree Fri 11-Oct-13 06:24:32

PetiteRaleuse Great idea, I'd be interested

hattymattie Fri 11-Oct-13 07:01:00

Herrisson - my DH installed Sky - he was on the roof manipulating the dish and I was downstairs watching the TV for a signal. Communication by mobile phones. The first image I saw after seven years of French TV was Dot Cotton. smile

aliciaflorrick Fri 11-Oct-13 07:35:55

I have Sky TV, but it's probably the area of France I live in, we just point the dish at the Sky satellite and away we go. I love the Sky Plus so I pay for a minimum subscription from my parent's address. However, I am thinking of buying a Humax Freesat box which will give me the same facility but just the Freeview channel. I've found that by downloading episodes of my favourite programmes that I love and using Netflix I hardly watch scheduled TV anymore. The only programmes on the planner these days are Corrie for me and Bear Grylls for the DCs.

Booboostoo Fri 11-Oct-13 07:48:09

PetiteRaleuse I'm in too.

Herisson I would be very grateful for the info by PM, thanks.

NoraLuca Fri 11-Oct-13 08:59:58

Please include me in FB group - would be nice to be in touch with other Brits.

<says NoraLuca who went back home to Liverpool over the summer and did not know who the Liverpool manager is anymore. shock >

PetiteRaleuse Fri 11-Oct-13 09:35:49

PM me email addresses, I have created the group but have made it secret. It's caled MNers Lost In France

Herisson Fri 11-Oct-13 09:36:35

Hattie, good on your DH! I am v impressed!

Booboostoo, will ask my aunt and let you know.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 11-Oct-13 09:38:19

and the random name is just to make it hard to find. If lots end up joining we can add admins.

castlesintheair Fri 11-Oct-13 10:21:57

Petitraleuse, do you want our MN related email address (one for this site)? Am not very techy but I do have a few email addresses. Thanks.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 11-Oct-13 10:26:49

No I think it should be the one linked to your facebook account. Have sent a couple of email invitations out but if they don't work will have to friend each of you, add you that way, then unfriend once you're in, unless you want to stay me friend of course smile

Have set it up that way as I think it is only fair with what some of us may post across the boards that the group remain invisible.

fussychica Fri 11-Oct-13 13:09:24

pillowcase - he doesn't surf but has met a couple of Aussie ELAs who do so who knows! He seems fine - a few hiccups - opened wrong bank account so can't sort a phone contracthmm. He's off to the coast tonight for a meal with all the teachers and hoping to stay over with one of the ELAs down there. I think he might land up moving down there and sacrificing the cheap rent & proximity of classes for the social life - we shall see.

pillowcase Fri 11-Oct-13 19:13:53

fussychica, great to have found a group. makes all the difference.

I'm not on FB so can't join group sad

I also don't have sky or care about not having it. I'm odd. grin

purplepuppet Sat 12-Oct-13 09:47:41

Would love to join the FB group too

PetiteRaleuse Sat 12-Oct-13 11:36:52

If you PM me your email address I'll send you an invite. It is unsearchable <glances round shiftily>

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 12-Oct-13 12:39:36

Did you get my PM petite?

ImpOfDarkness Sat 12-Oct-13 14:01:30

I also don't have sky or care about not having it.

Me neither, especially now we get Canal + séries! I do have BBC entertainment for when my mum visits though. It's shite.

PetiteRaleuse Sat 12-Oct-13 15:41:28

Canal+series rocks!!!! I don't have sky, just have a satellite up for the freeview channels. €50 to get it installed.

op I've been sending invites to everyone that pm'd me then deleting the pms. Have just sent a load of invites out, have you received one? If not I'll pm you my real name, add me on fb and I'll add you to the group that way smile

ImpOfDarkness Sat 12-Oct-13 16:10:42

The best thing about Canal + séries is that they launched it just in time for my maternity leave grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now