How often do you hear from your parents - and how often do you keep in touch?

(31 Posts)
mirai Fri 23-Aug-13 02:49:03

Just been pondering this a little over the last few days, so I'll go first!

My Ddad and I text every day

My Dmum doesn't like any sort of technology so she writes me the occasional letter and I write back, maybe once a month

We Skype DPIL around every fortnight plus some sporadic texting with DMIL in between.

mirai Sun 25-Aug-13 12:57:35

So true chloeb, my mum is the first to complain I never ring her but she has NEVER called us, in two years! She has come out for a holiday though smile

chloeb2002 Sun 25-Aug-13 14:40:03

I am lucky.. My mum and my best friend both call, often.. And have visited. Everyone else we call.. I have just had a request from some other good friends to stay next year.. So that's good too!

Salbertina Sun 25-Aug-13 17:05:23

Twice a year for xmas and birthdays. They seem fine with that

Inlaws regular emails, calls every few months.

nooka Sun 25-Aug-13 18:23:48

I guess the way I see it is that we chose to move overseas (it wasn't for a job or family reasons, just because we wanted an adventure/ new start really) so the onus is on us to make the effort. Plus dh does the whole 'they've not called me so why should I call them' and the result is no communication for years.

Visiting wise we are far away and it is very expensive so whilst I'd love more visits it's not going to happen.

Nannyme1 Sun 25-Aug-13 18:28:02

My mum sends me an email every day on Facebook. I try to reply as frequently but sometimes forget and she gets grumpy with me until I write her a nice long response. Dad doesn't really do computers but gets read emails to mum and is informed of all the news.
Sisters I email a few times during the week. 1 replied one mostly doesn't but get all new news through my other sister...I don't get offended cause she has always been useless at replying to things.
Try and call every few weeks but its hard with my work and the time difference and getting everyone in the same house. Don't really want to call parents and sister (one sister doesn't have home phone only mobile certainly not calling that!)

xpatmum Mon 26-Aug-13 02:29:33

We skype PIL every Sunday evening and my parents usually once a week at random times. My mum used to call me when we were in Holland as she had free calls but we're in Asia now and even though its 1.5p a minute she is too tight to call lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now