Help with choosing area of Brussels

(60 Posts)
bludot Mon 19-Aug-13 10:23:04

Hi everyone,
We'll be moving to Brussels this October with our son who's 14 months. We'll probably be there for two years, so we're thinking that schools won't be a massive problem as he likely won't start anything before leaving. However, we're having a hard time choosing where in the city to live. Ideally we would like somewhere we could find a lot of English speaking expat families with kids of the same age and also a location where we can walk to a lot of amenities; park, shopping etc.

We were looking at Ixelles or Etterbeck. Are these places good given our requirements? I have also looked at Boitsfort and Watermaal, but I was worried we would need to ride the tram for 40 minutes whenever we want to go shopping/meet people/to the park, since we don't have a car.

If anyone living in these areas could give me any ideas at all, that would be really great.

Thanks!

runningmad Fri 23-Aug-13 15:06:04

don't forget Kraainem! 1950 but only near to the bus stope and Stockel metro which is 100m away from the Kraainem border. The Av Baron d'Huart apartment is Kraainem, a few houses along is WSP.

So in total there are 3 Stockel (that are in WSP and Kraainem) - addresses Av Baron d'Huart, Av de Hinnisdeal and Rue de l'Eglise apartments, 1 Joséphine-Charlotte at Rue Francois Gay (that is in WSP) and 1 Schuman (which is in 1000 Bruxelles) but the Schuman one has no address on it.

MomOfABeast Fri 30-Aug-13 13:07:37

Hi guys, this is bludot's wife. Just thought I'd update in case anyone's interested. My husband was back in Brussels this week and we now have a flat in Stockel! It's a pretty small flat but it does have a little garden and it's really central!

This thread basically totally changed our minds, we were dead set on Ixelles before - thinking it would be easier to get about, more to do, more expat families etc but Stockel actually makes so much more sense for us in pretty much every way! Ixelles would have been a nightmare commute and more busy and loud than we were really looking for.

My husband really like the look of Stockel (and apparently so does everyone else in Brussels - I can't believe how fast the apartments there get snapped up!) so we're excited for the move now!

So anyway Thank-you SO MUCH for all of your help - I'm so glad my husband started this thread!

runningmad Sat 31-Aug-13 08:02:13

glad to hear you found something

Portofino Sat 31-Aug-13 08:50:56

Excellent news. Please send me a PM if you want to join our Belgian MNetter FB group. We go out and everything.

Longtime Sat 31-Aug-13 17:29:31

Well done MomOfABeast for getting a place in Stockel. I'm sure you will love it. Even though it is further away from town than Ixelles, it is actually easier to get into town because of the direct metro line. And it's a happening little place, ask all the Stockel ladies! Yes, I second what Portofino said, if you want to join our facebook page, let one of us know as all the Stockel mums are on there. It's a secret group so invite only and no-one can see it outside of the group.

Portofino Sat 31-Aug-13 20:08:41

Even I am going to move there. As soon as I have convinced Dh. He still is in denial and wants a house.

MomOfABeast Tue 03-Sep-13 15:32:08

thanks guys! Have messages portofino RE the facebook group smile

dotty35 Wed 04-Sep-13 22:18:19

Hi there all! I too am moving to brussels in october. Can't decide between an apartment near tomberg metro or roodebeek metro. 4 year old daughter going to roots and wings in parc parmentier and me, 2 year old and baby plan to do bct activities. Those of you in the know, is there much between these two areas? Is it easy to drive between either of these apartments and parc parmentier? Generally is it easy to go about in a car ie to imagine centre for bct activities. I do aim to use public transport but the car might be easier for the school fun given my circumstances. I would really appreciate your thoughts. X

Portofino Thu 05-Sep-13 08:48:49

I would go for Roodebeek over Tomberg probably if you want to use public transport. The bus goes from there to the Tram Museum, where you could walk to Parc Parmentier or catch a tram - the 39 tram takes you all the way the BCT place in Wezembeek Oppem too. Driving there would be simple enough from either. Tomberg has the town hall and the swimming pool, Roodebeek has the shopping centre.

Longtime Mon 09-Sep-13 20:59:57

Not much in it, area-wise I wouldn't say but agree with Portofino for the public transport (and the shopping centre).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now