Selling and buying from overseas

(4 Posts)
Wibblypiglikesbananas Sun 04-Aug-13 01:42:14

We are in a similar position. Our US accountant (UK/US expert) told us that the way to get around capital gains was to go to the UK and literally live in the flat for a day before a sale. I have no idea if this would/will work but that's what he said! If you're in the US, I can pass on his details.

JooLoo Sat 03-Aug-13 17:55:16

Thanks, I won't have to pay tax here. If its my sole residential property (lived in for 5 years and rented for 2.5) does anyone know if we need to declare in UK?

NotMoreFootball Sat 03-Aug-13 16:42:59

We had to declare a property sale in the UK when filing a local tax return, fortunately there was no extra tax to pay here but not sure how it works in every country!

JooLoo Sat 03-Aug-13 12:18:22

Posted this under property/DIY but might get more response here. What do I need to thank about if selling my UK property then buying another which we will eventually move to. Am already on to mortgages which I know can be a pain as an expat. What else do I need to think about ?! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now