So, where's your stuff?

(13 Posts)
BaskingTurtle Sat 03-Aug-13 18:19:45

We have all our stuff currently because the company paid for the move ... Then I broke my contract and now we seriously have no possibility of paying for the move out of here and the company won't pay for it. We are looking at having to sell and abondon everything. I'm heartbroken as we had a lot of stuff. We have three kids - it's not like I moved here with a couple of suitcases.

JoandMax Fri 02-Aug-13 03:58:04

We have all our stuff - as the company was paying we shipped absolutely everything.

It's taken me about 3 months to sort it all out and we've ended up buying new bits of furniture anyway. Moving from a house with a garage to one without was a rookie error on our part!!!

glastocat Fri 02-Aug-13 03:52:17

We sold everything and shipped 30 boxes of stuff so started out with very little here. It was very liberating! It's amazing how quickly you accumulate stuff again though. Oh I left an antique tea set at my mums, wish I'd shipped it now, but I was scared to in case it broke.

I should add that our move was paid for by dh's company .... Otherwise we would have downsized hugely. About 40% of each box was packing paper and bubble wrap anyway, particularly loved the empty bottles of bleach and laundry detergent that the packers rescued from the bin and bubble wrapped for me thanks

kickassangel Fri 02-Aug-13 03:21:27

Everything is with us, but dh's company paid for a container shipment.

Except dh's whiskey collection, which is in my parents'house and he drinks some each time he visits.

I have nearly unpacked the last of our 299 boxes that arrived from singapore to Texas last week. Dh was going to help but apparently was urgently needed in Europe for meetings this week hmm

We kept a few boxes in storage in Scotland when we first moved to singapore 5 years ago (cold weather stuff, old paperwork etc) but after paying £30 a month for two years, realized that we should probably ship it. The contents weren't worth what we paid in storage costs anyway.

Everything is with us now, we're long term everywhere we live and if you can live without something for a year you probably don't need it anyway....

We have everything here, because we moved here, its not a short term posting. Also because we are in Germany, we packed our house into a lorry, freecycled what didn't fit, and drove it over. Everything we own is with us - not much use having stuff in a different country, unless you are on a short term posting!

Shanghaidiva Thu 01-Aug-13 08:37:29

Most of it has been sitting in a warehouse in Vienna for 5 years.

May09Bump Thu 01-Aug-13 00:07:34

Ours has just cleared UK customs from NYC, and we two boxes with parents.

STUFF is the bane of my life.
Currently, we are planning to move back to the UK for good.
We have stuff in our loft in the UK, in SiLs loft, in FiLs loft and in his wife's garage.
Some of our stuff is here and it will be shipped in about two weeks time!
It's a question of rounding all the stuff up to make a home that's bothering me.

WhataSook Tue 30-Jul-13 10:49:08

Where were like you Turqu - some stuff at ILs some at my parents and living in a third country! But now we've taken everything from the ILs and just have stuff with my parents. We are eventually moving to my home country anyway so it makes sense.

PeriPathetic Sun 28-Jul-13 16:57:48

No! When we first moved overseas we bought a shipping container for some stuff like furniture. It's in a field somewhere in the UK. Costs a huge amount less than self storage, highly recommended if you have somewhere to keep it.
Other stuff like cold weather gear is in mum's attic as there's not much use for it where we've just moved to.

Turquoisehat Sun 28-Jul-13 16:36:40

DH and I are from different countries and are entering our third year living in a third country. We have a couple boxes and a few pieces of furniture at my dm's house and a ton of stuff (mostly our dc's and dh's from his past - although I have a few boxes as well) at pil's.
Every time we go back to either country or someone comes to visit, we get stuff out of storage, but I think a lot of it will never make it over to us.
Do you have all your stuff with you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now