Smacking

(29 Posts)
chloeb2002 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:01:13

Really is it just me here on my own morale high ground in Brisbane?? It seems that smacking is totally acceptable.. Encouraged even.. I just don't get it. One mums forum I read sometimes on face c##p was suggesting that smacking a 14 month old for putting good on the floor was just dandy??? Really... Is it just me?
confused

SavoyCabbage Sat 10-Aug-13 05:11:01

We were talking about it at work last week and I was the only one on the no smacking side. Everyone else aside you should be allowed to smack and even 'it could be banned in public but you can do it behind closed doors'.

I tried to use the example of if we do something wrong at work we don't smack each other across the staff room, but that's not the same apparently.

echt Sat 10-Aug-13 08:33:56

It's a shocker, isn't it?

The example I use is that the arguments for hitting a child: they're impulsive, and not always open to reason, are also those which would allow you to hit a demented adult or a person with severe SN.

The one that sticks in my craw is "the loving smack". Yeah, right. hmm

WestieMamma Sat 10-Aug-13 09:44:57

Research has shown that anti-smacking law is a leading law. Normally law is changed to reflect changes in societies opinions. Occassionally law is changed first and societies opinions gradually change in line with it eg anti drink driving legislation.

When the law changed in Sweden the majority of people opposed it and thought smacking was ok. 5 years later you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who thought it was ok.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 10-Aug-13 13:18:42

WestieMama, I have used that example in several contexts with friends here in the US when they come up with the old "you can't legislate morality" argument.

Laws against domestic violence have also been to a significant extent leading laws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now