Australia - best climate?

(21 Posts)
MapofTassie Australia Wed 17-Jul-13 09:29:08

Like Thumbwitch my favourite weather is the Tassie weather grin
We moved here from Melbourne as it was too hot! (house prices were too expensive as well!)

Thumbwitch Tue 16-Jul-13 18:57:56

I have a friend in Cairns who likes the weather up there - never below 20 degrees even in midwinter (and rarely gets that low, to be fair) - she has no need of any winter clothes. She doesn't mind the humidity (although I would).

Dubai, afaik, is dry heat though, isn't it? Last summer we had a couple of days of 40+ heat here, and the first one, with humidity of around 24% iirc, was INFINITELY more bearable than the second, with humidity of around 80+% (completely unbearable, stayed indoors all day with air-con on and all windows and doors closed to keep the cool in and the heat out)

My favourite weather here would be Tasmania but that's because it's most like the UK. wink

AndreaDawn Fri 12-Jul-13 21:59:10

If you seriously like all round heat, then Darwin or Queensland.

glastocat Tue 02-Jul-13 13:22:10

Ah thePurplecarrot, I've read the thread now so know what you are on about. I think the name shortening thing here is hilarious, and we amuse ourselves by shortening whatever we can. Easily amused I know or easo amo grin

ThePurpleCarrot Tue 02-Jul-13 10:12:39

Glasto - it's about shortening names of food. Search for my posts and you'll find it.

glastocat Tue 02-Jul-13 07:15:08

ThePurpleCarrot, what thread is that, can't find it? My husbands boss is from Fremantle and calls it the freo doctor?

ThePurpleCarrot Mon 01-Jul-13 14:27:05

Glastocat - I think you mean the Fremantle Doctor smile. See other thread about abbreviations <<waves from Fremantle>>

ThePurpleCarrot Mon 01-Jul-13 14:25:52

I've lived all round Australia and I like Perth and Sydney weather best. Perth winter is great and I actually think the locals prefer it too (although I think they pretend they prefer the scorching summer). I don't like the summer here at all - there really is no freedom when the sun is blasting down on you at 38 degrees. Too hot to go to the beaches too cos there's no shade - they're mostly a bit barren looking over on this coast.

Mosman Mon 01-Jul-13 12:14:55

Love Perth's weather, Melbourne was too like England for my liking

glastocat Fri 28-Jun-13 03:43:56

Oh yes, forgot to say the old Freo doctor is a lifeline here in the summer.

glastocat Fri 28-Jun-13 03:43:06

I'm in Perth, winter so far has been lovely, high teens to low twenties every day. We got here in Feb when it was bloody hot, over 40, but so far we have been loving the weather. The houses are freezing though, it's usually warmer outside than in ffs!

CrystalDeCanter Fri 28-Jun-13 02:14:04

I'm in Adelaide too and can confirm that it has a lovely climate - all 4 seasons - think southern Italy/Greece. So beaut Spring/Autumn hot dry summer and chilly winters - but rarely a frost so not chilly compared to the UK. Also the seasons are pretty much 3 months each regular as clockwork. It made me laugh when we first moved here - so different from the UK with it's 8 months of winter, 2 months of Autumn, brief spring and barely any summer.

I like the idea of year round warmth, but the humidity of N Australia would be deadly for my hair. Also I feel I can barely breath in very humid climes - is Dubai a dry heat postmanpat?

melbie Mon 24-Jun-13 12:21:50

I am in Adelaide. I can confirm it gets bloody freezing with no heating/insulation. Thermals on in bed, little heater in room and my UK winter duvet! Summer is fab though. The only consistently warm place is Darwin/far North Queensland/Broome type places but there is the wet season to deal with...

chloeb2002 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:32:19

Melbourne.. Is lovely.. Mixed bag weather wise grin very cosmopolitan city. On the cooler side...
Really quite a subjective question.... I fear no where in aus can give a ideal climate, it is normally one of the top conversations during the day... How hot, cold, wet, humid, dry ... It is ... Depending on the season! wink

Thanks...bumped into an old friend this morning (I used to teach both of her children) and discovered that they are emigrating to Melbourne in two weeks time!! Was v jealous.

specialsubject Sun 23-Jun-13 14:13:45

ok, the OP asked for all round pleasant weather. Adelaide is bloody hot in summer, pleasant spring and autumn and damp and cool with uninsulated buildings in the winter.

pedantic enough?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 22-Jun-13 21:20:54

Chilly my bottom. I lived there for some years. Their idea of chilly is our idea of balmy!

specialsubject Sat 22-Jun-13 20:50:19

Adelaide is very hot in the summer, quite chilly in the winter.

chloeb2002 Sat 22-Jun-13 20:37:03

I think this may be an possible one for anyone to answer .. Except yourself! From my point of view..
Brisbane.. Hot humid summers... Often wet. Winters .. Short but cold.. Low of 9 overnight.
Sydney.. Less humid than bris.. Cooler too.
Melbourne... All four seasons in one day.. Where the song of the same name came from! Memories hot northerly winds in summer. Cold winters not unlike London! (It's south of the snow).
Adelaide, very hot dry summers like Perth. I do however remember cold winters too. Temps there now are "fresh" lovely winter fires in the hahndorf pub!
Darwin... Hot tropical humid summers. Hot less tropically humid winters. A real wet season too! Cyclones. wink
North qld. Tropical not unlike Darwin! grin
All areas of aus have pros and cons with weather. Not sure you will find a perfect Eden! You seem to have tried most of them. As a rule of thumb.. Further north ... Hotter but increasingly tropical... Wet.. winkSummers.
We live in Brisbane now. Favourite seasons.. Spring n autumn. Warm, dry. Pool weather. Winters feel cold at night now.. Can't wait to have a wood burner ! But sub 20 degree days are rare. Summers.. Hot.. Wet.. Humidity is a killer! confused

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 22-Jun-13 19:40:38

If you like HOT then Adelaide is pretty much bloody hot all the time.

DP has already worked in Sydney, Perth and Brisbane and there may be a job offer on the table for a permanent post sometime soon. We live in London right now but Dubai in August is our idea of nice climate! If I ever emigrate anywhere, it has to be somewhere warmer than here, so where's the best for all year round pleasant weather (or I am being unrealistic?!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now