Dutch employment law and breastfeeding

(9 Posts)
Katiepoes Wed 26-Jun-13 12:15:41

They have to provide you with a clean private space - NOT the loo. It's 25% and is designed for expressing.

You also are entitled to unpaid parental leave (ouderschapsverloof) on top of the 16 weeks - you get some tax back on this. Most people take it as one day a week until baby is about 4 - I took three months in a block on top of the 16 weeks and then one day a week for 14 months. I now have a 4 day week contract.

Parental leave can be used by both parents btw.

Zorra Sun 23-Jun-13 10:46:09

Great, thanks for the input. Will have another look, but the 25% looks right. My flat is above the office so should just be able to whizz upstairs smile

juneblues Sat 22-Jun-13 20:11:06

you're right, you know how I got around it, I just took unpaid leave. Sounds like USA has the worst conditions for new mums in the industrialised world.

oricella Sat 22-Jun-13 15:42:35

swings and roundabouts.. in the UK you have the opportunity to have up to a years leave. 16 weeks isn't overly generous...

juneblues Sat 22-Jun-13 09:48:52

Isn't Netherlands great? I got absolutely zero in the UK, I would have been bullied if I'd dared to ask, it was bad enough being a mum of a baby without daring to ask about time off to express.

oricella Sat 22-Jun-13 09:19:23

The terms you are looking for are either "voedingsrecht" or "kolfrecht"

oricella Sat 22-Jun-13 09:18:04

From what I can see: first 9 months up to 25%, after 9 months employers are still required to provide a safe, quiet space for expression, but that would be on your own time

The 25% is for either expression, or feeding at the place of work, if I understand correctly - wouldn't cover you traveling home/nursery for a feed I think

Info from here: http://www.borstvoeding.com/borstbaan/wet.html

juneblues Sat 22-Jun-13 09:07:16

If you post links to where you've read this, then dutch speakers could read it and tell you perhaps?

Zorra Sat 22-Jun-13 08:48:24

Hello!
I work for a Dutch NGO and am due to return to work after maternity leave in September. HR have told me that I am entitled to some time each day for breastfeeding, and a quick google says this is up to one-third of work hours. Older documents say one-quarter. I don't read Dutch so can't get detailed info from the government sites, and our HR are notoriously tricksy so I'd like to be armed with all the info I need before I broach this.

Thanks a lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now