Dutch employment law and breastfeeding

(9 Posts)
Zorra Sat 22-Jun-13 08:48:24

Hello!
I work for a Dutch NGO and am due to return to work after maternity leave in September. HR have told me that I am entitled to some time each day for breastfeeding, and a quick google says this is up to one-third of work hours. Older documents say one-quarter. I don't read Dutch so can't get detailed info from the government sites, and our HR are notoriously tricksy so I'd like to be armed with all the info I need before I broach this.

Thanks a lot!

juneblues Sat 22-Jun-13 09:07:16

If you post links to where you've read this, then dutch speakers could read it and tell you perhaps?

oricella Sat 22-Jun-13 09:18:04

From what I can see: first 9 months up to 25%, after 9 months employers are still required to provide a safe, quiet space for expression, but that would be on your own time

The 25% is for either expression, or feeding at the place of work, if I understand correctly - wouldn't cover you traveling home/nursery for a feed I think

Info from here: http://www.borstvoeding.com/borstbaan/wet.html

oricella Sat 22-Jun-13 09:19:23

The terms you are looking for are either "voedingsrecht" or "kolfrecht"

juneblues Sat 22-Jun-13 09:48:52

Isn't Netherlands great? I got absolutely zero in the UK, I would have been bullied if I'd dared to ask, it was bad enough being a mum of a baby without daring to ask about time off to express.

oricella Sat 22-Jun-13 15:42:35

swings and roundabouts.. in the UK you have the opportunity to have up to a years leave. 16 weeks isn't overly generous...

juneblues Sat 22-Jun-13 20:11:06

you're right, you know how I got around it, I just took unpaid leave. Sounds like USA has the worst conditions for new mums in the industrialised world.

Zorra Sun 23-Jun-13 10:46:09

Great, thanks for the input. Will have another look, but the 25% looks right. My flat is above the office so should just be able to whizz upstairs smile

Katiepoes Wed 26-Jun-13 12:15:41

They have to provide you with a clean private space - NOT the loo. It's 25% and is designed for expressing.

You also are entitled to unpaid parental leave (ouderschapsverloof) on top of the 16 weeks - you get some tax back on this. Most people take it as one day a week until baby is about 4 - I took three months in a block on top of the 16 weeks and then one day a week for 14 months. I now have a 4 day week contract.

Parental leave can be used by both parents btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now