WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ ETC PART 7 !!

(1000 Posts)
frikonastick Mon 06-May-13 06:42:08

Come oooonnnnnn MNHQ, where's our medal grin

meerkate Wed 08-May-13 18:01:22

but frik <slaps forehead> (mine, not yours) i have a friend who can be your friend smile i will scurry off to arrange this immediately smile she emigrated about 5 years ago now and loves it in tauranga, we were pals way back when our first babies were born (now just turned 12) and we were living in the same cosy neighbourhood in the north of england. i will message you on FB! xxx

frikonastick Wed 08-May-13 22:55:35

Vvvv I had visions of origami cardboard animals for a minute there!

Thanks meerkate :-)

giantpenguinmonster Thu 09-May-13 00:13:14

Vvv- you would need at least ten of each species for a viable population. You may need a very big ark.

I am not coping well with the cold. Last night I almost cried when I had to search the freezer for something. I normally don't put the heating on if I'm home on my own but I think this may be foolish.

Meerkate- how did the interview go?

justaboutalittlefrazzled Thu 09-May-13 03:05:50

good ark joke for children (also useful if you want to challenge the creationist crap that they picked up from god knows where)

"What did the dinosaurs say to Noah?"
"Gee, thanks for making the doors so small."

meerkate Thu 09-May-13 07:18:46

littlestturnedgiant the interview a while back went nowhere, cos the dept and he had been misinformed about each other and they were the wrong fit, or whatever the correct jargon would be! But he has another one soon with the right dept, an informal Skype chat first of all on Wed next week. Will let you know how that goes.

A job has come up in Perth too, but we think it' s not the right one, all in all - wouldn't necessarily lead to anything beyond a year's contract.

Meanwhile spring is gorgeous here, the garden is beautiful (first spring in new house, so every new bloom is a surprise and a delight - thank God, have enlisted a friend's mum to help with the actual gardening bit though, not my forte grin) and DH has a new part time honorary post in a big city hospital with loads going on to keep him busy and interested, so all is good! That means being away several weeks a year, it's not yet clear how many. He is a part time family man these days as I keep haranguing him wink , has been in Nepal too recently working for two weeks, but hey, I like to see his skills go to some use smile and he had never worked in a developing country before so it was a massive eye opener for him which is great.

So, patience, I tell myself, the right thing will surely come along in due course smile

And meanwhile I am accumulating mammoth amounts of credits in the me-time bank, and plan to take a gap year very soon grin

vvviola Thu 09-May-13 08:22:44

Justa - that gave me a good giggle. grin

And giantpenguin (feels weird calling you that!) that info about the needing 10 of each animal made me smile too. grin

vvviola Thu 09-May-13 08:30:09

Frik - you mean something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002AWD1PC

grin

Very chilly & damp here tonight. Still trying to resist putting on heaters though - time for an extra layer

frikonastick Thu 09-May-13 08:36:30

Lol vvvv!! Can't believe there actually is such a thing! I mean, who's got time for that!

Justa, had a giggle at that one grin

vvviola Thu 09-May-13 10:36:13

The job application just went in.

shock

Fingers crossed it all works out (whatever that may mean... I know what the "perfect" scenario would be, but there's plenty of other scenarios which could potentially work too)

frikonastick Thu 09-May-13 10:37:48

Crossing fingers and toes xxx

giantpenguinmonster Thu 09-May-13 11:43:43

Btw, DD has been talking about a giant penguin monster that comes in the night and squashes people. No wonder the kid resists bedtime! Even Scooby and the gang who sleep under her bed don't protect her.

Sorry to hear about the first job meerkate. Hope the ADHB one is a better fit. I have about 12 weeks of credit so may join you on the gap year. I'm thinking Vanuatu.

Vvv- good luck on the job application.

Sibble Thu 09-May-13 20:29:24

vvv - good luck!

frikonastick Thu 09-May-13 22:12:40

Penguin, this morning DD told DH that I kept her awake all night by 'walking around reading the iPad'....... Kids are weird

Good luck meerkats DH!

frikonastick Fri 10-May-13 00:57:09

Right. Dishwasher salt. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Please help!

WhatSheSaid Fri 10-May-13 01:04:43

Never used it. What's it for?

frikonastick Fri 10-May-13 01:26:26

It's salt. For the dishwasher. grin

You put it in the hole with the cap on at the bottom of the machine. Some people don't use it because they use 5 in one tablets or whatever, but mine has stopped cleaning nicely which can be down to harder water and the salt helps the tablets clean better.

BBQWidow Fri 10-May-13 01:39:32

For the person asking about free things to do...have you seen the website www.planmyplay.co.nz

Really recommend it! Free and paid for activities. There's stuff on there in the area that I'd grown up that I'd never heard of.

WhatSheSaid Fri 10-May-13 01:41:09

Well I guessed it might be grin, I've just never heard of it, so I guess it's not commonly used here...

giantpenguinmonster Fri 10-May-13 01:42:18

Ah, I have always ignored that hole. I wonder if this is why I've always thought kiwi dishwashers were shit.

FiftyShadesofGreyMatter Sat 11-May-13 04:28:11

You don't need dishwasher salt in NZ smile

Sibble Sat 11-May-13 06:42:41

BBQWidow Great site!

WhatSheSaid Sat 11-May-13 21:40:46

Happy Mothers Day everyone smile

AngryBeaver Sat 11-May-13 21:48:00

Happy mothersd ay all
good link vvv!
Sibble, I think the eco zip would be your best bet with the boys on waiheke& the skate park? And you an always come to mine for a cuppa smile
Well, I'm lying here posting from my bed. Went out last night.
Cocktails at the oyster inn, then onto an accoustic night where we had wine, then to the sand bar for shots.....uuuuuuggghhh!how I got up my drive in hels in the pitch black will remain a mystery.
I have people coming for a Mother's Day meal...what can I make for desert, help?!

AngryBeaver Sat 11-May-13 21:48:21

That was good luck vvv

WhatSheSaid Sat 11-May-13 21:53:36

Easy make-with-a-hangover dessert? Meringues and whipped cream and fruit? You could buy the meringues. Or get dh to make dessert, seeing as how its Mothers Day and everything?

Meant to say, yes, love that planmyplay link bbqwidow

This thread is not accepting new messages.