Moving to Sydney in July HELP!!!!!!!!

(28 Posts)
Backrow8 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:43:56

This is a huge subject I have discovered reading all the posts, and this is my first ever post on any website I was so relieved to find a sensible site. I need help with the schools subject and areas to live.
we want to become part of a community and really get to know Sydney. We are being transferred to Sydney in July from a small Yorkshire Village in England I have a10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter and after a meltdown looking on these school league tables and domain.com I decided the best place to turn is to the mums who have already been through this. Unfortunately all the other employees have chosen Private schools and moved into the North Shore adn I admit I maybe a bit put off private schools from my Uk experiences but it does seem to defeat the object of being in another country.Does anyone have any suggstions for a good Gov school not necessarily top of the league tables but with caring and supportive culture.
Thank you from a very flustered Mum

ARK99 Sun 09-Jun-13 18:24:41

Hi, have you decided where yo send your kids yet? We are hoping to move over at some point. My husband working for Macquarie Bank... my sister is in Dee Why and the other one in Newcastle. We lived in Balmain for 4 years before coming back to the UK when we had our children. Now they are 9 and 7 and we are looking to move back to Oz to Northern Beaches. I really like the look of Pittwater House School - it is twinned with The Royal School in Haslemere where we live now. Not too expensive, not to large, not to competitive and lots of sport! I've looked at Cromer as a place to live and hubby will cycle to Manly and catch the ferry from there (we both used to cycle from Balmain to Northern Sydney when we lived there before)! I looked at Oxford Falls website but it looks very large... Pittwater House has quite a lot of international students which I like the sound of. Did you get there yet and have you looked at any schools? We have a dog too - had no idea it would cost that much to bring him!

newbiefrugalgal Fri 14-Jun-13 22:50:39

Ark99 do you want to PM me as I can help with your query.

Sylva11 Mon 19-Aug-13 09:12:17

My oldest grandchild went to two very good Primary Schools, Neutral Bay Primary and Middle Harbour in Cremorne. Both these areas are just over the harbour bridge on the North side and there are loads of buses that go over the harbour bridge, and it only takes 10 mins to the city. There is a beautiful beach nearby called 'Balmoral Beach', which is a mum's paradise, with shady trees and coffee bars and a playground and changing rooms.
she is now 13 yrs and goes to Willoughby High School, a public school, a bus ride away from Neutral Bay, which has a very good reputation,
and good standards, and loves it. You can look up the websites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now