How much does a family need to earn to make Australia a viable option?

(12 Posts)
chloeb2002 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:12:30

Oh and on arrival in Aus dh was our only wage.. He was on $110000.. Which we thought was huge. We managed just fine. Now however our combined income is double that and its tighter! But that's because we do so much more with it now... Bought a house up renovate, private school, 3 more dc ...

chloeb2002 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:09:06

My au pairs stay 12 months.. They get working holiday visas. We do not pay them a wage, but pocket money . It has been cleared by immigration as acceptable. They live as part of our family for 12 months. Get $120 a week. It is not taxed as its pocket money. You can even have people on a holiday visa live with you and reciece pocket money in exchange for helping around the house... Mine do child care exclusively.

thylarctosplummetus Fri 26-Apr-13 05:35:55

I posted on that other thread too - we have 2 DCs, one in full time daycare, the other in state school prep. We have a combined income of ~$160k with us both working full time.

We live very comfortably. We have friends that live comfortably on a lot less, and we have friends that struggle on a lot more. If you're used to budgetting in the UK, then it shouldn't be too much more of a challenge in Australia.

Erebus Tue 23-Apr-13 20:07:17

link here for some costs

scroll down a bit!

mcgilly Sun 21-Apr-13 06:40:27

And sorry - 4 yo kinder is subsidised, 3 yo kinder is not. That means my costs will stay the same for four year old kinder but I will get far more hours .. About 15 hours a week.

mcgilly Sun 21-Apr-13 06:07:48

Poll red SMS?? Regular pool visits!! $14 for our family and essential in summer.

mcgilly Sun 21-Apr-13 06:06:27

Firstly, you will need to go swimming! So build in poll red SMS swimming lessons in your budget (but not a pool at home).

Childcare is subsidised but kinder/preschool is not. I pay about A$2000 a year for approx six hours a week of community kinder. It's very good but I could probably pay a bit less - or a lot more at a fancy early learning centre.

Allow probably $100 a week for each car but that varies dramatically on age of car, driving history for insurance and of course how much petrol you use.

I allow $100 a week for utilities ... Health insurance is also virtually compulsory due to the tax system (you need an accountant to explain this!)

We probably spend $150 a week on food but many of my friends easily spend double that.

A live- in position with reduced school fees sounds like a fabulous deal.

TenBitSailor Sun 21-Apr-13 05:38:54

sorry, posted too soon

but paying for utilities, cars etc., plus pre-school for a toddler maybe 3x week, any idea what salary to require?

TenBitSailor Sun 21-Apr-13 05:38:00

It's only a very vague thought for the future at this point, but the job would be live-in, so housing costs not such an issue.

Thanks for your insight.

Given a live-in position, with reduced school fees ($5k

echt Sun 21-Apr-13 05:27:16

I second McGilly, location and expectations. We selected where to live based on two things: near the sea, near a good state school. To be fair we'd been for a two-week visit for entirely other reasons, but were able to use our experience to guide our choices.

We do not do gym memberships/pools. Can't comment on childcare, but someone will come soon who can do this. What I do know is that au pairs can only have a 6-month stay!! Had this applied when we were in the UK, we'd have been stuffed.

Buying is cheaper than renting, but of course your plans may preclude
this. We have saved thousands since we bought.

McGilly Sun 21-Apr-13 05:04:17

It depends on where you live, and your choices and expectations! But ... I would say a family ... Around A$1500 a week. That's assuming your education is state (not private). Housing costs are high, a three bedroom house in our area is from A$700 a week and upwards. If you choose private education, you would need to allow approx A$600 a week or A$30,000 a year (including add ons like uniform, excursions, transport, laptops etc). Food is as cheap or expensive as the effort you make. Utilities are high, especially water, but not as gaspingly high as I read in UK.
We manage on a lot less , as do many people. And I am very happy with our public (state-funded) health and education.

TenBitSailor Sun 21-Apr-13 03:55:54

What do you think would be a salary high enough to live fairly comfortably in Australia? I'm not talking pools and gym membership, but occasional meals out, some childcare etc.

Thinking maybe suburban Victoria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now