Adopting overseas

(30 Posts)
WeeNoggi Fri 19-Apr-13 07:09:15

Has anyone done this?

According to local laws, DH and I can adopt here. I find the prospect thrilling & slightly terrifying to be honest.

Do you know people who have managed to do this? Better yet - managed to gain UK citizenship afterwards?

Feels like we're doing things the wrong way round - trying to get approval and (UK) paperwork processed after we have a child who is legally our responsibility.

oldnewmummy Sun 19-May-13 07:43:13

I knew quite a few adoptive parents, back in the day. We may well have some mutual acquaintances. When we adopted we weren't allowed to adopt from Malaysia, which just illustrates how things change.

Lozzamack Mon 20-May-13 09:04:27

Yes, I know quite a few here too. I know a lady who went down this road shortly before me and whose daughter was born in Malaysia, had their first application for a British Passport declined. It was only when her husband received another posting and they needed to leave Singapore they got the application approved. I must admit I don't know any other mums here with children from Malaysia.
I would be very interested to talk to you oldnew if you by any chance have adopted a Singaporean child. DS is and I am confused re NSsmile

oldnewmummy Mon 20-May-13 12:25:57

Yes, I have a Singaporean son and it is an issue. Pm me your email address and I'll tell you what the Ministry told me.

Desperateexpat Tue 03-Sep-13 19:30:27

Good evening,

I have just followed this thread. My wife and I are just starting to look at options for Uk expats looking to adopt. Through my searches it seems as though a lot of options are instantaneously ruled out without a uk based homestudy. Are there other options? Can someone point us in the right direction. It all seems daunting!!

picklesrule Thu 05-Sep-13 07:07:48

Which country are you in? Rules differ depending! I can help about with your options if you are in Singapore but not much else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now