If you live in a holiday destination, where do you holiday?

(13 Posts)
EspressoMartiniToGo Thu 18-Apr-13 22:26:27

Live in southern Spain, all very lovely in the school summer holidays with the beach and the pool etc, but it's still our normal life. Dh still has to work, meals have to be cooked, laundry done etc - it's not a getting away from it all holiday.
So, where do you go for your holidays (excepting back to the UK for the obligitory family and friends visiting pilgramage)?
I've been looking at city breaks in northern europe - any suggestions? Don't really want to do long haul as we can only spare a week or so in August. Is northern Spain, Barcelona etc as hot as down here in August?

Clueless2727 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:35:20

Any all inclusive resort where no cooking and lots of relaxing. Balearics?

WallyBantersYoniBox Thu 18-Apr-13 23:40:09

Can't you drive to France for a change of scenery?

How about a Med cruise leaving from a Spansh port?

We live in singapore but did a house swap with a family in Copenhagen a couple of years ago. It was July but much cooler than Spain would be, great city, lots to do, good food. How about that, or Scandinavian cities?

I used to live in Murcia in Spain and remember that temperatures hit 40 in August. I don't expect Barcelona would be more than a few degrees cooler than southern Spain....

Sharksandfishes Fri 19-Apr-13 12:09:04

We live in a beach town in Sydney and everyday see the hundreds of tourists arrive for the day. We don't go anywhere at the moment, we can't afford it, (and justify it by saying regularly "why would we want to go anywhere, we live here!) but are planning a trip up to the Gold Coast next year.

Shanghaidiva Fri 19-Apr-13 14:33:02

City breaks:
Helsinki
Stockholm is fab
Oslo - probably the most boring and expensive place on the planet

When we lived in Germany and Austria we spend a few summers in the Netherlands and rented a house. Weather not great, but good food , lots to see and pretty cheap at the end of August as think most of the local kids were back at school.

fussychica England Fri 19-Apr-13 16:44:43

When we lived in southern Spain we did the Patio festival in Cordoba in May - not to be missed, Mallorca - easy and quick from Alicante, Galicia -much cooler and VERY different to the south, Barcelona - brilliant for a short break, as is Valencia. Always meant to do the Asturias but never got around to it. Depending where you are in the south Portugal/ Cadiz /Costa del la Luz could be easy options - I wasn't keen on the latter. France is another obvious one for a fairly short break. Look where you can fly to from your nearest airport. Anywhere will be heaving/expensive in August. I hated August in Spain.
Enjoy!

Mosman Sun 21-Apr-13 03:09:14

We are the same, the beaches in WA are fantastic but starting to all look the same which I know is rubbish but I think a city break to Melbourne is long over due

SconeRhymesWithGone United States Sun 21-Apr-13 03:14:17

I live in Florida. My favorite holiday destination is Scotland, especially the Islands.

lauriedriver Sun 21-Apr-13 03:16:32

Fancy a house swap one year scone? Pretty pretty please :-)

lazydog Sun 21-Apr-13 03:39:21

We live in my personal dream holiday destination (just see my pics grin ) so we do tend to spend our holiday time just exploring/going camping. There are plenty of other places we'd like to try if money were no object, but we go back to the UK to visit family annually, so that's always our main holiday. Just once (in the 7.5 years we've been here) we went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in November, which was gorgeous, but I guess that's not different enough from your daily life to really appeal to you in a "change of scene" fashion.

SconeRhymesWithGone United States Sun 21-Apr-13 03:49:21

Oh, Laurie, that's intriguing; might be a possibility. smile

I live in the Netherlands, and everyone who's ever visited has always commented the same; it's much more interesting than you'd expect, very child-friendly, and because everyone speaks English, very easy to get around, order food etc.

The schools go back this year on 12th August so accommodation will be cheaper after this date. There are lots of bungalow parks, centre parcs, and campsites with permanent tents etc. The country is so small that day trips to pretty much anyway are feasible, and you can always pop over the border to Germany too.

The weather is very variable though. It could be 19c and raining or 35c and sunny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now