What UK essentials do you ship from UK to overseas

(42 Posts)
Clueless2727 Tue 16-Apr-13 15:57:34

Specifically singapore.

Other than all our normal stuff, want to buy some bits that will hard to get or really expensive there (dh company paying for shipping)

So far...

Kids uv suits (and bikinis for me)
Kids summer clothes
1 tog superking duvet
Suncream
Tonnes of john frieda frizz ease stuff for dd and me (think may be too big a battle but will try)
Mabelline mascara plus few other beauty bits i can't live without
Nespresso capsules

Will the removal company let us take liquids (above beauty stuff)

Lastly, am i right in thinking removal companies won't let us take dvds in case they get checked by customs? Does that include computer console (wii) games?

Thanks

mirai Tue 30-Apr-13 09:57:23

Speaking of echemist, if they get to 2,000 likes on their FB page by the end of the day then it's 20% off everything on the site, so please click here and like them as I could really do with a 20% off spree hehe! grin

LadyMountbatten Sun 28-Apr-13 04:47:01

Lol at "removalists"

Mutley77 Sun 28-Apr-13 02:46:32

We were fine shipping liquids (eg toiletries to Australia) - and I even shipped some full bottles of cleaning products too rather than chuck them out. Our removal company were a bit conservative but at the end of the day the choice is yours - you can take what you want if you accept the consequences. I suppose the risk is just that they will leak but if you put them all together in a plastic container that seals well - a cliplock type think - even if they all leak they won't damage anything else.

MistyB Mon 22-Apr-13 20:55:32

The book people are good for stocking up on children's books, they have good card sets and I often get the Booker / Orange Prize Shortlist brought over by visitors.

Clueless2727 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:35:00

Thanks so much. Been out shopping today and bought tonnes of bits, spent far too much money. 😳

tea bags
golden syrup
tea bags
marmalade
tea bags
cadburys chocolate
tea bags
finger paint (!)
tea bags
kids story CDs in English
marmalade

Sorry haven't read the thread, don't know if those items are relevant! smile

marcopront Mon 22-Apr-13 08:41:49

I'm in India but what I have had people bring out for me is

Nitty Gritty Comb
Super plus extra tampons
Kid's toothpaste.

I've looked at echemist and India has its own special delivery information.

Clueless2727 Sat 20-Apr-13 20:32:04

I have saved echemist thanks looks good. Singaporeswing, thanks for heads up, I'm same as you 5'10" and size 12. Going to make sure i've got lots stuff before i go

mirai Sat 20-Apr-13 12:12:02

Yep! Not bad eh? They also do weekly offers on product ranges so make sure you sign up to their newsletter. They also do a points scheme (like boots), which I think is automatically done if you register with the site.

Honestly I don't know what I'd do without it!

Cerisier Sat 20-Apr-13 11:23:25

mirai thanks for the tip about the echemist site. I have done an order this morning, no delivery charge and all the VAT came off so the prices were great!

singaporeswing Sat 20-Apr-13 04:50:18

Another couple of things that I stockpile when back in the UK - dry shampoo and ibuprofen.

I'm 5 ft 9 size 12 in Singapore and have completely given up on buying clothes here. Everything is just cut straight up and down and everything is cut way too short.

I've just started ordering clothes that I need online, there's loads of companies that deliver for free/cheap.

mirai Sat 20-Apr-13 01:50:31

ripishere, £10 a box for me (in Japan), and half the potency!!!

mirai Sat 20-Apr-13 01:49:21

I know I have mentioned this site before but think it's worth saying again, I have a lot of love for the echemist site, they will ship all sorts of OTC meds, toiletries and cosmetics to you with free delivery AND VAT free prices. It's been an absolute godsend for me as I can't get decent toothpaste, paracetamol or deodorant where I live!

Also good for more high end toiletries and cosmetics is Feel Unique, also free delivery but it's not VAT-free.

soapandhorny Sat 20-Apr-13 01:43:33

Just so you know - Bodyshop/ Marks & Spencers etc. are at least twice the price here so you may also want to underwear shop. Also, if and when you travel you will pick things up anyway. We go to Australia quite a bit and the clothes there are great, really summery. A lot of the girls and boys here are all decked out in Roxy and Billabong.

Clueless2727 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:12:05

Thanks, think will go for my gut instinct and stockpile stuff. I am tall, but dd is off the centile charts. 4'7" at 7. She is taller than most of the yr 6kids and she's only in yr 2. Hope she doesn't stand out too much.

Thanks for all your advice, just ordered 4 uv tshirts for dd off ebay at Less than a fiver each.

soapandhorny Thu 18-Apr-13 13:19:58

P.s. Have your husband establish what they wear at his work. It is highly likely they do not wear suits. Most go to work M-F in suit pants and smart shirt, maybe a tie. He may only need 1 suit for business meetings when he travels abroad e.g. in HK where it is expected. Fridays are usually dress down. My husband works in finance and he goes to work mostly in chinos and blue shirt with his sleeves rolled up. Don't, whatever you do, go out and buy 3 new suits for him.

takeaway2 Thu 18-Apr-13 13:16:54

I would echo what almost everyone have said about clothes, especially for the adults. I am a size 8 and I think I'm an M/L? My DH is 6ft2 and usually an L in M&S UK, he's an XXL (and he's not fat).

Shoes too - the common size in the UK is probably around 5/6? in Singapore it's more like a 3/4.

Socks (for the DH)...

soapandhorny Thu 18-Apr-13 13:09:30

Can I be direct and ask what size clothes/ Bra and shoes are you?
If you are over a UK6, you won't have that much choice here. Also if you are a size 12 or over, you will be buying clothes XXXL here and not a lot of choice. I'm not trying to put you off Singapore, I've lived here for ages and had a fantastic time. On one hand the shopping is great, on the other it can be a bit of a pain.

Here's my list:

Bring lots and lots and lots of Suntan lotion, aftersun and zinc. I would go to Boots and bag as much Soltan on offer as you can. At least 15 SPF for you, 30+ for the kids. It is really expensive here. Please do not buy low factors. The sun can be very damaging. Even out and about you need sunscreen on. I would also start buying sunscreen for under your makeup for yourself too. I also buy zinc for my children as even though they are very olive, the burn on their nose and under the eyes.

Sunglasses for everyone. Proper ones with proper filters. You won't ever leave the house without them. Designer sunnies are more expensive here. The ones I have cost 1.5 the price of the UK.

Swimmers - you will be wearing these a lot. I used to buy Seafolly ones, however they are now 400 bucks+ Bring lots and lots!

Swim toys, goggles, rashies are all very expensive here.

You will be invited to lots of children's parties. I bought 7 cards for a pound in the UK. They have been a life saver. I also buy books from Bookdepository in bulk e.g. I buy 5 of the same book for boys birthdays and the same for girls. Usually a classic English book as the kids are from all nationalities. A book that costs 6 pounds in the UK will cost 30-40 bucks here. All the parties I have been to, the average spend on a present is usually about S$25-30, which is for example for something that would cost you S$6 back home.

Good towels, good bed linen (I use The White Company but I have a Kingsize bed) are hard to find here.

If you are buying clothes for yourself I would buy shorts, T shirts/ tops, flip flops , swimmers, cover ups for the beach, cotton underwear and some summer dresses. One thing I noticed when I moved here was that my clothes were a bit drab. It's so bright and sunny here and everyone wears really bright colours. Try to buy linens, it's very cooling.

PM if you need to know anything. Ive been here since 1999.

papooshka Thu 18-Apr-13 10:10:11

Agree with alot of these, greetings cards are mega expensive so I always stock up on the cheap GBP1 ones in Tesco. You can get ibuprofen here but only in packs of 12 and you have to buy from the pharmacy so definitely stock up on those.

I've got big feet too - size 7, but spend the day in flip-flops/fit flops/birkenstocks and you can get big sizes in those here.

Cheap kids clothes can be found in H&M, Cotton On here but yes definitely get a few years worth of rash vests for the kids as they don't last so long here as they are constantly used.

Suntan lotion i wouldn't worry about, you can get a large 'banana boat' factor 50 in a shop called Mustafas for about 18dollars (9quid) ,so thats where I go!

Yes you can put up pictures/mirrors in rented accom, you just have to make sure that you fill in the holes when you leave the property, but check this with the landlord first.

There are lots of european shops here so clothes for you aren't a big problem - H&M, Zara, Mango etc

ripsishere Wed 17-Apr-13 23:06:14

I'd also stock up on the Tesco paracetamol/brufen that costs less than 20p a strip.
I got my DH a couple of strips of the 10 tablets. They were 70p a strip.

HollyMadison Wed 17-Apr-13 15:42:25

Sorry it's Aquafresh toothpaste, not Macleans.

stitchinline Wed 17-Apr-13 14:22:42

Clueless - this is helpful re food

www.ava.gov.sg/InformationForTravellers/BringFood/

Saltedcaramellavacake Wed 17-Apr-13 14:18:59

Just on shoes, I have gone up at least a size here (to a 41) because all my normal sized shoes feel tight when my feet swell when walking in the heat. Don't go crazy buying shoes at home unless you're sure you won't swell! That said, I find it really hard to get nice size 41 shoes here so buy some that feel too big when I'm at home.

Cerisier Wed 17-Apr-13 14:14:08

There is a shop in Tanglin Mall called Ziegler that stocks size 8 shoes/sandals but they are expensive. They do have a sale twice a year though when you can pick up a bargain.

Holland Village Shopping Centre shoe shop has fitflops in size 8 (42) which are very comfy.

If you will have a Christmas tree in December bring out some decent fairy lights and some decorations, there is a very limited selection here.

Clueless2727 Wed 17-Apr-13 11:45:21

Thanks, i didn't know about food being banned. Oh hope not. I love my nespresso machine. Oh will take advice on toothpaste, tampons and shoes. I am a size 12 which i think is normal, but from what i can read that is massive in singapore, but i am 5'10" which i didn't think would matter as won't need long length stuff as won't be wearing many trousers, but i do have size 8 feet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now