Private schools in Houston, Tx

(13 Posts)
blogme1 Wed 24-Apr-13 17:51:21

Hi ya,
I see you looking for info about Houston well when I was planning my travels I found discountattractions.com really useful. you can just put houston in the search and it comes up with LOADS of info
HTH
smile

Smiliezz Fri 29-Mar-13 02:02:35

I am actually from Houston, but this was before kids. I've been away for 8 years so while I'm familiar with the city and know people there, it was an entirely different phase in life. I'm finding that at least for the school and housing situation, that I'm relating to those who are also relocating there better. I was hoping not to have to do a 'scouting' trip because we are so far away and the move is so soon, but think we may have to to see schools and consider housing. Id consider public school if we knew where we were to live already, but that brings in the whole new element of having to find housing before we move there and I'd rather deal with that after we get there. I heard that housing is very competitive right now. Did u rent or buy? We are looking to buy and heard as bad as 15 offers on one home. We are looking at galleria area/inner loop/I-10. I don't want the village school either only bc of distance. I am happy to hear that the British school made a good impression. I was worried because I could not find as much online on the school as Awty. We are also keen on Awty because they have such a huge focus on French and we may move back to a French speaking country in a few years time. A least Brit school has an hour a week. We still would like to put in for Awty even if slim chance. My dd will have to take the wppsi next week, which I'm not looking forward to.

Hi smiliezz! We are in Houston for our recon trip right now. We were accepted to British school and village school and dd1 was in the waiting pool for awty. We met with awty this week and were told that they had 50 applicants for 2 places for dd2 (aged 4, going to pk4 in August)... We have chosen the British school as the village school is a little further out and it means that either dds or dh would have a bigger commute. We just bought a house in west u which is a great area with amazing local schools - would you consider local schools? We would but don't know how long we would be here and prefer kids to stay in a uk system for the moment. The headmaster at the British school made a huge impression on us, which helped with our decision.

We are loving Houston itself, so different from Singapore (which we also love). Been visiting houses and play parks (which we never do in sgp), eaten pancakes for breakfast, visited schools and mastered driving huge 4wds on 7 lane highways, off to basketball on Monday. Have you been to Houston before? Dh has practically been here since new year but the kids and I have been here for a week, 2 more to go.

The housing market is crazy, the house we bought was on the market for a week and had 3 offers. Go to har.com to look at real estate, apparently you normally need a visa before you can get a mortgage.

If you want to pm me with specifics, please do!

Smiliezz Thu 28-Mar-13 00:25:36

We are also moving fr Singapore to Houston this year, likely sept 2013, but have just found out so missing all the schools' deadlines except British school. We r doing our app for Awty now to be out in the wait pool but still have to do the psych test. Can we kp in touch as we will both be there? My daughter is 4yo now as well. She's in little village on grange in Singapore.

Thank you riversong, I think you are right and have a lot of faith in gut instinct too.

IwishIwasRiverSong Mon 11-Mar-13 09:25:41

You will get a feel for the school that will fit your DC once you visit them. I knew instantly which school (overseas) my DDs were going to the moment I stepped inside the door. And, as a supply teacher, I sometimes go into a different school and think "Glad my girls aren't here!".

Thank you riversong and brownsauce. It's great to hear such positive feedback but you have just highlighted our difficulty choosing between them!

Brownsauce83 Mon 11-Mar-13 06:02:52

My brother and sister both go to the village. They've been there for 4 years now and are both doing brilliantly. Lots of academic support as well as extra curricular opportunities too.

IwishIwasRiverSong Mon 11-Mar-13 05:16:39

A friend of mine is moving to Houston in 2 weeks, and her DC will be going to the British School, recommended by other friends who have moved there. Have a good visit.

anonymosity Sun 10-Mar-13 16:36:40

I hope you have a good trip. A friend of mine lived in Houston for a few years and loved it (opera house - ballet etc)

Thanks anonymosity, good to know about the British schools in Chicago and Washington, D.C.

I have been looking on great schools but like most reviews, most people who write them have an axe to grind...

anonymosity Sun 10-Mar-13 01:14:06

I don't know the British School in Houston but in Washington DC and Chicago they have excellent reputations.

Have a look on greatschools.com for parent reviews (and maybe add a pinch of salt as sometimes its a disgruntled child or ex-teacher)

We are moving (finally!) from Singapore to Houston this summer. We applied to the British School, Awty and the Village School. Both DDs have been accepted to all schools, except DD2 who is 4 and didn't get a place at Awty, so I guess that's out.

Does anyone know about the Village or the British School? What's the general opinion in Houston? Online reviews are confusing.....

We are pretty much torn between them but will visit Houston in 10 days time to take a look. The locations of these 2 schools are very different and we can't really seriously look at housing until we have a school decided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now