Ikea internationally

(60 Posts)
lisianthus Tue 05-Mar-13 01:33:03

We went to Ikea in Perth recently and I was struck by some of the differences to the one we used to go to (Lakeside, in Essex). In particular, I hadn't realised that the cafe would be so different. There was sushi, which seems to now be a child's menu staple here, and a lot more salads, as well as a lot more people to help throughout the store (which was great, actually).

It got me wondering- what is your local Ikea like? Do German ones serve noodles and dumplings and the French ones have a huge list of cakes for example?

teddymummy Sat 23-Mar-13 18:47:14

Hi ripishere, my husband is coming over to check out the housing in June. Looking at desa park city, what do you think of the areas there, do you know which parts are good for families. I have 3dc aged between 7 + 10. Thanks x

ripsishere Sat 23-Mar-13 22:08:39

I've never been there, but a couple I know who are having a baby in May are moving there soon because of it's greenery and family friendliness.
I was also speaking to a man who had lived there. He moved out because he wanted to be nearer KL. He is recently married, no plans for children. Fool.

lisianthus Mon 25-Mar-13 11:41:55

Yum. I love German and Swiss food. <furiously pencils in "Ikea world tour" as a retirement idea> It will be interesting selling that one to DH.

WallyBantersJunkBox Mon 25-Mar-13 12:28:20

Not such a crazy idea, I have a friend who is making his way round the TK Maxx branches of the world!!

13loki Tue 26-Mar-13 14:39:18

The one near me in Sweden is very similar to the Warrington one. Meatballs are back. The kids meals include an ice cream, I never noticed that in England. Oh, and it's more expensive here! But gift cards from the UK work here, but IKEA family cards don't!

ripsishere Wed 27-Mar-13 02:04:37

Well, I'm just off to the KL one if anyone needs anything...

Like this thread! smile

When we lived in Bulgaria our nearest ikea was in Thessaloniki in northern Greece. A four hour drive away. Plus however long it took to get through the border. Bulgaria wasn't in the EU then. So ikea trips were part of overnight trips away and we would also go to French supermarkets and marks and spencer.

We also holidayed in northern Greece a lot and would factor in a trip to ikea on the way home. Twice we got caught out with holy days. Where the shops shut. Very frustrating!!!

Can't remember much about the food in the Greek one.

Used ikea in Budapest a lot. I used to go midweek after dropping DS at school. Never very busy then. I assumed the food was fairly standard ikea food. Meatballs obv.

I love their Xmas stuff - still have lots of their Xmas lights. A big heart shaped wreath and some sort of curtains of lights that we put up in the French windows.

Have been to the Bristol one now a few times too.

Trying to wean ourselves off ikea furniture now though. Although the spare bedroom and DS's room are totally ikea. Feel a trip coming on! I'm sure I must need something. And even if I don't actually need anything you can guarantee I will end up buying lots!

That was long!

ripsishere Wed 27-Mar-13 03:56:51

Well, I'm back. I got some curtains, a long picture frame thing for DD, a shower tidy and had some curry puffs.

DXBMermaid Sat 13-Apr-13 09:44:08

In the Dubai one there is a voice that comes over the tanoy that explains the concept of Ikea. I.e. that is it is self-service and why things are flatpacked etc.

The restaurant also serves things like Biryani and lots of hummos in the salad bar.

There are also guys who will pack your shopping for you... Which I usually prefer to do myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now