Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ ETC :PART 6!!!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Mon 18-Feb-13 18:23:37

Wow! Part 6...got to be a record.

MN Towers, where's our prize?!

AngryBeaver Tue 26-Feb-13 08:54:31

We are having our going away meal a week next fri, so I tried on some dresses today. I could barely get the zips up and my boobs were under my chin!
Upshot: Body Pump tomorrow

vvv I hope you come to a decision re your thesis, I'm sure you will.
Here, I will help you .

<grabs vvv's shoulders and shakes >
"FOCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Feel better now?

vvviola Tue 26-Feb-13 09:19:57

Much better AB, thanks grin (maybe xMinerva can lend me those chains when she's done with them & I can chain myself to my computerwink)

Justa - 11 sounds perfect. Shall have 2 hours of either housework or study done by then depending on which I'm procrastinating most on Will you have children with you? Do you want to choose the best location for you?

AngryBeaver Tue 26-Feb-13 09:57:11

Happy to help!

WhatSheSaid Tue 26-Feb-13 19:17:53

I have never used a rice cooker, I just put rice and water in a bowl in the microwave and it cooks in about 20 mins.

On non-rice related matters, the Stone Roses were amazing. Way way better than I expected.

justaboutchilledout Wed 27-Feb-13 00:34:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngryBeaver Wed 27-Feb-13 00:56:49

Well that's a coincidence, was in the Warehouse today and what did I see on offer...a rice cooker! I wouldv'e got one, but they'd all gone!

thelittlestkiwi Wed 27-Feb-13 02:33:38

Agree- I can cook rice in a pan or microwave after many years of trying. But the rice cooker just does it perfectly every time with no effort and then keeps it hot till you need it. We eat a lot more rice cos of it and I find it works out very cheaply if you buy a sack from an Asian supermarket. I am something of a rice snob these days though.

AB- I'm sure I saw some for $15 in Kmart. Ours is a very basic one. I'd say it is as useful as a toaster.

Did you see the news about the shark attack? Scary!

frikonastick Wed 27-Feb-13 03:01:46

Just bought a car! Kia sportage 2009 am chuffed grin

Also, am now off to buy a rice cooker......

frikonastick Wed 27-Feb-13 04:36:49

And have ended up buying bikes instead

justaboutchilledout Wed 27-Feb-13 07:57:49

vvviola Wed 27-Feb-13 08:33:31

Shark attack was scary, wasn't it? So sad.

(11:30 at Windsor park is perfect justa)

AngryBeaver Wed 27-Feb-13 08:41:15

Oh fucking HELL! The shark attack, how scary, that poor man. Ithink they are not sure whether he had a heart attack and then it happened or, the other way around.

AngryBeaver Wed 27-Feb-13 09:37:12

Have just read the herald and watched the news. Above is not the case.
Feel so very sad for the family. sad

This has not helped my deep rooted fear of open water.

Sibble Wed 27-Feb-13 18:42:25

very scary, we have not taken our small boat out recently as we knew there was a shark in the Port Waikato area (same coast). we caught 2 fish last weekend that had been attacked by something very big. Very scary. It's the warm water....

xMinerva Wed 27-Feb-13 19:53:58

Oh god, I hate open water anyway, this doesn't help much. Poor bloke, poor family.

First day at work went really well, forgot how tiring shop work was though, man, me feet were killing when I got home. And I'm doing it all again today. Love it though. grin

Glad you enjoyed the stone roses wss it was you, yes, can't scroll up to see)

Hope you have fun at Windsor. I won't be able to do tues or thurs anymore because of work (that still seems strange to say) Hope to see you soon though.

Have a goo day everyone.

thelittlestkiwi Thu 28-Feb-13 08:45:04

Ugh. I've just had one of those crappy interactions with an older kiwi being racist. 'Too many Asians' in Auckland apparently. Drives me bonkers.

Does this happen to everyone or is it just me? I usually make some comment about the food being better for it. But wish I could come up with something cutting.

lollystix Thu 28-Feb-13 09:13:35

The food is better for it grin. I find it so ironic for a young nation to have such a stromg view of what a 'kiwi' is. We're all immigrants - if you can count 5 generations back apparently you're not confused. I find it really offensive. I also have woman in my office who keeps announcing everything is 'so gay' very loudly. I find this really offensive too - do people not realise?

justaboutchilledout Thu 28-Feb-13 18:51:12

xMinerva Thu 28-Feb-13 20:49:31

I've met a couple of people like this.

It annoys me more how the conversation usually starts:

"I have nothing against them, BUT..."

Yes, that but. Argggggg

thelittlestkiwi Thu 28-Feb-13 22:10:43

Her response was that she liked the food just fine.. .. so obviously not very well travelled then.

I remember the same sort of thing happening to me in Glasgow fifteen years ago. I think it is harder to tackle when you are a migrant.

justaboutchilledout Fri 01-Mar-13 00:00:58

frikonastick Fri 01-Mar-13 01:25:15

Bought a rice cooker!

And YES to the casual racism. Our next door neighbor said 'oh yes well, once you've settled in a bit we will have to take you through all the nonsense with the Maoris' with an eye roll and grimace. I didn't actually know how to respond so said nothing at all!

Although, funny story....

We got the moving people to come and pack the house up for me, which was a god send. I was delighted. So much so, that I kept referring to this, as 'yay! The packy people are going to come!' Which of course sounds like Paki. I am oblivious to this though, and keep saying it to EVERYONE. On hearing me announce this to yet another group of people, a friend says to me, um aren't they actually all Philippino? And I go yes, STILL not understanding what I am saying. Until DH hears me on the phone saying yay the packy men are coming tomorrow, and he does this slow head shake at me and says, um you do know that you are saying Paki right? I FINALLY get it. Only to realize that the colleague I had JUST BEEN SPEAKING TO on the phone is in fact, Pakistani.

Epic fail.

<takes a bow>

thelittlestkiwi Fri 01-Mar-13 03:02:54

That's hilarious Frik. I think I'd be tempted to post it as a FB status.

justaboutchilledout Fri 01-Mar-13 06:12:42

frikonastick Fri 01-Mar-13 09:56:58

Hahahahahahahahaha!

This thread is not accepting new messages.