WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ ETC :PART 6!!!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Mon 18-Feb-13 18:23:37

Wow! Part 6...got to be a record.

MN Towers, where's our prize?!

frikonastick Fri 05-Apr-13 00:08:40

LOL!! Well that's a relief then grin sorry though, honestly I should think before I post

lollystix Fri 05-Apr-13 09:25:49

littlest look away as I slag off kiwi wildlife. It's been a bad week.

Had my first Weta in a dark bag experience.

Then last night I took DS2 and DS3 to Pak n Save in their jammies (I am becoming a real kiwi mum) and I'm driving back through suburbia and notice what I think is a dead cat. I drop kids home and head back out to help it or ID it for it's owner or give it the kiss of life. Poor thing has the whole font of his face mashed into the road so there is no hope but he has a big brown tail and is fluffy and I think 'oh no a lovely ragdoll - his owner's will be devatsted'. I shine my iphone torch on him to reach for his neck area to search for a collar and it shines on this:

www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/5798347683_427e51a69e.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickriver.com/photos/baggis/5798347683/&h=500&w=375&sz=151&tbnid=2ZLobedcQiKVgM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=68&zoom=1&usg=__yp3CyACymi5UGuJH-MeDglwsYJw=&docid=0RcFKr_Uy3yhlM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=f4heUchc5IOMAszUgagF&ved=0CE4Q9QEwCg&dur=1

I have been haunted by this image all day. Gollum eat your heart out!

thelittlestkiwi Fri 05-Apr-13 09:42:55

Ha ha ha. That's given me a proper giggle. We once had a possum die at our front gate and I had to dispose of it with a (borrowed) shovel. (Was the same gate where I had a horrific weta experience. Maybe that wasn't such a fab rental after all.)

lollystix Fri 05-Apr-13 09:55:24

A friend said they had been hanging around outside our baby's room eating all the peaches of the tree a couple of months ago. I kep finding perach stones on the ground and all these half eaten peaches in the tree with lots of them covered in what looked like major bird poo.

The stealing cat (who now won't visit cos of my kittens) used to be obesessed with getting in the roof and I wonder if there may be one up there.

vvviola Fri 05-Apr-13 10:07:54

Apparently (according to extremely knowledgeable bloke at Sheepworld grin) you should keep the fur... possum fur apparently goes for about $20 a kilo, if you fancy a career in producing yarn wink

AngryBeaver Fri 05-Apr-13 10:14:17

That gave me a belly laugh, thanks lolly!!

AngryBeaver Fri 05-Apr-13 10:18:02

And thanks for telling me how to block peoples not news feed. Jesus, the drivel my cousin posts .every. five. minutes. <rolls eyes>

lollystix Fri 05-Apr-13 10:48:13

I have a friend who takes picture of her tea every night and also then reports on every gym session she attends in the morning - a saintly life.

Yes Posssum fur is valued - I learnt that at sheepworld. But I'm not sure I want to get initmate with a foot like that.

vvviola Fri 05-Apr-13 11:04:14

Seems I mis-remembered the figure - I looked it up (because I'm odd & I'm feeding DD again & am trying to stay awake), and it's about 150 a kilo shock. Mind you, I think that's about 20 possums. I don't think I'm that tight for cash just yet wink

lollystix Fri 05-Apr-13 11:17:12

A big australian possum can get to be 7KG - I wikipediaed them as I'm trying to pout them in a box but I can't - they're just weird. 'Marsupial' officially or however one spells it and I've never really got to grips with that category if I'm honest. Feline/Canine/Bovine - all good but marsupial is odd. Is a mouse a marsupial littlest?

lollystix Fri 05-Apr-13 11:22:21

Ok - a mouse is a rodent blush

thelittlestkiwi Fri 05-Apr-13 21:14:00

No, marsupials are a special group of mammals that evolved on Australia. I'm a bit sketchy on the definition- even after reading wikipedia but they give birth to tiny young which can then go into 'suspended development' and grow in pouches.

They also have some fascinating features. Koala's have bifurcated penis' and the females have two vagina's and two uteri. They never tell you that at the zoo do they!

AngryBeaver Fri 05-Apr-13 21:21:11

lolly grin

littlest, what is a bifurcated penis??

thelittlestkiwi Fri 05-Apr-13 21:30:49

Sacred to google it eh?

thelittlestkiwi Fri 05-Apr-13 21:32:44

Two pronged.....

frikonastick Fri 05-Apr-13 22:26:55

Two pronged?!?! shock

lollystix Sat 06-Apr-13 01:12:38

amazing stuff. So I'm assuming a possum has a pouch too for babies? Oh god now I'm thinking I didn't check his pouch to see if he had anyone in there who was still alive sad

lollystix Sat 06-Apr-13 01:35:04

She not he!? Maybe I should have checked for bifurcation

thelittlestkiwi Sat 06-Apr-13 01:56:17

Grim. I doubt I would have checked either. Didn't on the one I had to dispose of.

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 06-Apr-13 06:54:37

I have learned more about possums than I ever, ever wanted to know on this thread....

Very pleased with myself for completing 1000m openwater swim today. Slowly and with dignity (and with breaststroke! Not what you are supposed to do in a wetsuit!) But I did it, and that's the main thing.

lollystix Sat 06-Apr-13 07:02:10

'Like' justabout - I'm very impressed - you're a better woman than me.

Sibble Sat 06-Apr-13 07:10:03

Very impressive!

justaboutalittlefrazzled Sat 06-Apr-13 07:21:02

LOL lolly, my dream is to do the kind of 10k runs you shrug off as easy!

lollystix Sat 06-Apr-13 07:41:54

I have a big fear of sea swimming which I know I need to get over living in this country

AngryBeaver Sat 06-Apr-13 09:04:17

I have a fear of sea swimming too lolly. So tip my hat justa. Hmm though. breast stroke in a wetsuit, uncomfortable!???

I did my first training sesh at 7.30 am this am (for Wild Woman Waiheke 8k? Have I told you I entered that?)
I know it's nothing to the likes of lolly, but I am NOT a runner.
And fuck me, I was absoloutely exhausted.
It was proper Off Roading!
I nearly vomited...and cried!
When the group took off, I knew within 3 mins that I was in trouble. But was sooo scared that I couldn't find my way back...that I followed them...for over an hour...I repeat I AM NOT A RUNNER.

So why the hell am I going back next week??

This thread is not accepting new messages.