OK, can we talk Christmas overseas?

(70 Posts)
ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 18-Dec-12 05:18:26

Hi I'm in Oz and am finally gettting my Christmas vibe on - 36 degrees today so not actaully "christmassy" as I know it, but I digress.

Can those of you who live in far flung places tell me . .

A. What are you eating on Christmas Day? I've been reading the main thread in the Christmas topic and it's all lovely roast goose etc. We're having prawns/oysters/salad etc But I need so good ideas, so tell me about your roast Antelope or stewed dragon fruit.

B. Who will you spend Christmas with if you're a long way from family?

C. Have you acclimatised to your present countries Christmas (or non-Christian) festivities?

Here in oz it's much more low-key than in the UK but I am enjoying the sunshine actually, makes for a great day with the kids running about outdoors.

Go on, tell me all, inspire me grin

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 19-Dec-12 01:00:14

In HK where it's actually quite chilly today! Hk does Christmas pretty well, I must say. It's Christmassy enough, without overload and when it's all over, we've only got to wait a month and we all get another week off for Chinese new year grin

Like Santa041 we'll be getting our turkey delivered from the Mandarin Oriental and having traditional Christmas lunch, then head out for a walk or something in the afternoon. My sister lives here anyway, and my parents arrive here on Sunday. On Boxing Day we're all going to Bali for a week.

cjdamoo Wed 19-Dec-12 01:43:14

Im in australia(5th xmas here) and will be having a traditional English christmas dinner yet again possibly in stinking heat again too but its dhs turn to cook so I care not

sleeplessinsuburbia Wed 19-Dec-12 01:58:27

In Australia:

Xmas day pastries/croissants/macaroons for bfast, varandah for the rest of the day while kids do their thing we have cheese platter, best fruit range ever, bowl of good chocolates, good booze then salad and BBQ (very simple) lunch with whoever pops in.

Jeezaloo Wed 19-Dec-12 03:00:39

I'm in Sri Lanka - first Christmas here, but not our first warm Christmas as we used to live in Australia.

We're renting a villa with some friends and keeping the food pretty traditional - turkey, ham, roast potatoes etc. Probably go for a walk on the beach, and a swim in the arvo.

It's quite a change here from the UK (and Aus for that matter). Plenty of decorations and tinsel up everywhere, but the shops are playing Christmas carols rather than 'Rocking Around The Christmas Tree'. They recognise Christmas as a Christian holiday, and as such, all their Christmas cards have pictures of Jesus and the nativity scene on them - no kittens in santa hats here grin. Also, the decorations have been building up gradually - some roads are still putting the tinsel up now with only a week to go. In the UK it all seems to be there from bonfire night onwards!

I quite like it though. It's a nice chilled out way of doing Christmas.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Wed 19-Dec-12 03:24:05

Vietnam - have turned into a right old humbug. Until this year has just been me and DH so normally beach / pool / champagne / ignoring it totally.

This year we are going for the full on Christmas in Europe.

In singapore. We normally have a party on Christmas Eve and head to the ritz Carlton for a big champagne buffet lunch on Christmas Day. We do stockings and some presents in the morning, then swimming and other presents and Skype in the afternoon.

Although it would be nice to be with relatives in the uk, it's also nice to make your own Christmas traditions and do something different.

Actually this year we are away for Christmas, sitting on an island in the Maldives, will probably snorkel with the dcs on Christmas morning and wait for Santa to arrive by seaplane grin

ben5 Wed 19-Dec-12 05:45:15

We're in Port Kennedy about 45km south of Perth Australia. Yesterday the forecast was 38 and sunny for Christmas day.
We go to the beach in the morning and take our camping stove to cook breakfast after we're opened our presents. We skype our parents back in the UK so they can watch the kids open a couple of presents.
We have cold turkey salad buffet style lunch/ evening food etc. Will have salmon on bread and prawn cocktail. Lots of wine while the kids play with new toys. Normally just the 4 of us and I love it. Very relaxed
So if any of you find yourself my way pop in and have a glass of wine and say hello!!!smile

LoopsInHoops Wed 19-Dec-12 05:45:16

KL (1st year abroad)

Xmas morning - us, DCs and a friend, opening stockings
Morning - coach with friends and neighbours (70+ of us!) to posh hotel for buffet lunch, kids festivities, drink. Coach back (no driving!)
Evening - us, DCs and friend to open presents.

NY - tropical island holiday smile

AlohaMama Wed 19-Dec-12 19:09:37

Hawaii here. Winter weather (23 deg and showery).
Will be having full-on traditional Christmas dinner, turkey with all the trimmings. Parents are arriving tonight from the UK so will feel more festive to have family around. Local mangoes for dessert.
Christmas day, probably beach/whale watching in the morning with picnic lunch, back for ds afternoon nap, then Christmas dinner.
The weather makes it feel un-Christmassy but as this is the US, lots of other things are the same - Christmas lights, decs up and all that. We try to keep as many of our UK traditions as possible so we don't get homesick. Even found crackers this year which is a first!

ClaudiaSchiffer Wed 19-Dec-12 20:41:37

Oooh it's really lovely to hear about your forrin Christmasses.

I love the ones going for the smorgasbord option. Am envy at the thought of groaning tables laden with Christmas food.

I'm currently getting stressed about food (can you tell?) we're doing family Xmas with bil + family and pils. They are to a fault MISERABLE about Christmas whereas I adore it. I'm in charge of starters/salads/dessert so am gonna go for the MOST festive food I can think of just to piss them all off make it lovely for the children grin.

Ben 5 I'd love to join you on the beach, here in Adelaide it's gonna be 26 and sunny so v noice for outdoor eating.

AdoraJingleBells Thu 20-Dec-12 03:00:11

We're in Chile, but still do Christmas British stylee because OH can't get his head around the local way of doing it. They celebrate with a family meal late on the 24th and do gifts before falling into bed in the wee small hours of the 25.

We will have roast turkey on the 25th, despite the heat, followed by xmas pud for OH and I, something fruity/chocolatey for DDs. Lunch will be eaten on the terrace, dodging our dogs. We do gifts in the morning then skype the ILs. The afternoon is spent in the pool just because we cangrin

vvviola Thu 20-Dec-12 05:42:20

We have had to resort to frozen Brussels sprouts. I may refuse to have even my annual single one.

It's one of the traditions I would gladly have quietly left out!

We've decided on a new tradition this year: Boxing Day family picnic grin

Rosa Thu 20-Dec-12 06:38:23

Well from not so far Italy - Happy Christmas to you all and enjoy your wonderful variations ,..they sound great.

Labootin Thu 20-Dec-12 08:43:01

Waitrose in Dubai Mall do not have any brussel sprouts !

DH will be bereft!

kids school breaks up today ... They've gone off wearing Santa hats

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 20-Dec-12 11:34:07

Write to Sheikh Mo and complain.

I bought some Waitrose frozen roast potatoes- a bag of 15 for the equivalent of 10 quid.

LoopsInHoops Thu 20-Dec-12 13:23:11

Oh, can't find felt. sad

DH, older DD and I have lovely personalised stockings that we made before little DD was born. I didn't get around to making her one last year, as she was tiny. Now she's not and I can't make her one. Any ideas?

echt Fri 21-Dec-12 20:25:46

In Melbourne and BOM says it'll rain in the morning but 22 later so possibly Christmas lunch outside. Prawns, oysters, potato salad. Over to Pommy friends' house on Boxing Day and doing that leftover Christmas pudding thing in the Guardian. The left over is a technicality as we never ate the pudding last year.

We're putting up the tree, deckers, lights and crib today; in England it was always Christmas Eve. I suppose an Australian aspect is putting solar lights on the trees in the front garden.

ripsishere Fri 21-Dec-12 23:08:35

Loops, I'll wrack my brain. DD had some felt for craft at school, I am trying to remember where I bought it. It'll be either KL central or Kota Damansara.
We are having roast pork and, I imagine roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, some brussels (at a pound a piece), stuffing, bread sauce, apple sauce and then, inspired by someone else, a pavlova.
My biggest problem is the size of my oven. It's tiny and only goes for an hour.
Presumably DH and DD will go to church on the actual morning. That'll leave me to get tidily on something alcoholic.
Next year we are going to Aus.

DingdongMerliononhigh Fri 21-Dec-12 23:16:27

Ah yes a smallish bag of sprouts for £6 and one yes one very tiny parsnip for £2.50 shock pak Choy and kai lan for accompaniments anyone?

ripsishere Fri 21-Dec-12 23:48:03

The parsnips were about a fiver a piece. Size of a small carrot.

378 Sat 22-Dec-12 00:40:39

going to have a full on traditional roast in predicted 40 degree heat smile smile

LoopsInHoops Sat 22-Dec-12 01:45:07

Got felt! smile

vvviola Sat 22-Dec-12 06:34:07

I've just had a mini-meltdown as I discovered/realised that I won't be able to eat any of our Christmas dinner desserts (pavlova, trifle & a mini shop-bought pudding) due to not being able to eat eggs and dairy. Can't blame anyone else as I planned the menu. Shall have to either do an emergency re-think, or cut the Christmas cake (which is vegan) after dinner instead of our usual midnight-ish.

Labootin LuLu's in Mushriff Mall in Abu Dhabi has tons grin So tell your DH to get in the car and get them himself if he's that worried grin

This is our first Christmas away from home and we are having a low key affair with our kids. I've just put up a tree, DH wnt out yesterday afternoon/evening and got all the pressies. Duck and trimmings on Christmas day. BBQ on the beach for boxing day.

Mosman Sat 22-Dec-12 12:05:19

Our first Aussie Christmas so my plan is cottkesloe beach at about 7 am with a picnic breakfast and buck fizz for DH and I. And then we are having salmon and salad for tea.
So far it's not felt like Christmas at all, I'm just glad of the break really it's been a busy six months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now