WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

WhatSheSaid Wed 06-Feb-13 23:42:21

We have in laws arriving tomorrow, here till next Thu before they go off for a few days. So we will be doing maximum grandparent-grandchild time till then, free for meet ups sometime after that though.

xMinerva Thu 07-Feb-13 00:24:34

Awwwww, hope you have a lovely time. I can't wait until my in laws come over.

WhatSheSaid Thu 07-Feb-13 00:54:44

Oh I could happily wait a loooooong time for my in laws to come over grin but they are the dcs grandparents etc etc etc.

vvviola Thu 07-Feb-13 03:24:48

xMinerva - definite for a meet up for me. My folks leave tomorrow and DH is away Sunday to Friday, so I'm going to be starved for adult conversation free all week (except Tuesday when, thanks to my parents setting it up, I take DD2 baby swimming (which is more of a workout for me than I expected!)

frikonastick Thu 07-Feb-13 05:03:10

We leave on Sunday. I can count in hours now! 77 of them to be precise!

But we are in Hong Kong for 3 days so only arriving in auckland on the 15th.

I am typing this while sitting on the lone remaining price of furniture in my house, surrounded by boxes and boxes and boxes. Today is the final packing day, everything goes on the container tomorrow.

Still can't quite believe we are really moving to New Zealand.

It feels a little like I have been talking and planning this very abstract thing for so long that it should by now be absolutely real to me. But it isn't! Maybe when we actually land it will?

Omg. I am MOVING TO NEW ZEALAND !!!!!!

WhatSheSaid Thu 07-Feb-13 05:16:40

grin

xMinerva Thu 07-Feb-13 08:43:28

Tuesday afternoon is swimming for us as well.

Thursday& Friday mornings, ds1 at Kindy so if meet up arranged for either of those days, I'll be able to do less, chat more. (Forgot how much easier things are with just one child, not that I'm wishing one away or anything)

Frik So frikkin exciting. grin I remember the feeling well.

vvviola Thu 07-Feb-13 08:56:27

I am totally child-free on Thursday and Friday mornings. I can do either smile

AngryBeaver Thu 07-Feb-13 09:14:22

I'm alright thanks xminerva. Made the trip up to Auk today as dh went for his proper meeting/interview with the Oz boss. They have sealed the deal adn he wants him to start asap!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Although I felt pretty poo, I pilled up and still enjoyed today. Aukland really is a fab city. Such a nice feel to it.

We got the ferry over to Devonport, OMG, I am in love with it??! It's so lovely.
Way out of our league but nice for a wee visit.

Anyway, on the way back the lo started freaking out in his carseat. We were all wondering what had upset him...the he redecorated the interior of the Estima, in a fetching Cabonara shade! Fabulous!

Still a great day on the whole and now quite excited at the impending move...yay!

And frick, am excited for you!!

vvviola Thu 07-Feb-13 10:53:38

Oh, Devonport rocks AB smile I adore it. (And would be very happy to investigate child-friendly spots out that direction if you end up on Waiheke - some of the ferries stop there)

We briefly looked at Devonport as an option (and by briefly, I mean we looked at the rental prices on trademe and swiftly started looking elsewhere grin)

lollystix Thu 07-Feb-13 19:14:32

Devonport is very cute. I'm thinking of going to Clevedon Markets on Sunday. Any good?

Sibble Thu 07-Feb-13 19:22:24

frik how exciting, having said that I can remember sobbing all the way from the airport to Hamilton (where we stayed when we first arrived) as everything looked and smelt 'different'. I guess the difference is that I came here for DH, not because I really really wanted to. All worked out in the end though.

Devonport - definitely lovely! DH's aunt lived on Cheltenham beach until she died, I loved sitting in her lounge watching the boats, sea and pretending it was all mine grin In my dreams!

xMinerva Thu 07-Feb-13 21:07:05

I agree with Devonport being lovely. Bit expensive for us though. (Funny really because where I lived in the UK, Devonport was one of the most deprived areas of the city)

Friday vvv if you're child free is there anywhere you'd like to avoid or would Windsor park be ok? Ds2 will be able to go off by himself there and won't have to worry about him.

xMinerva Thu 07-Feb-13 21:07:42

That's supposed to be

Friday vvv? If....

vvviola Thu 07-Feb-13 21:53:11

Friday sounds great! And I've no problem with Windsor park either - I'm quite fond of the place, even without my children grin

I'm free between 9 and 12 - what time suits you?

xMinerva Thu 07-Feb-13 23:04:17

Drop ds1 at Kindy for 8.30 so be there around 9am?

Justa you free to join us?

WhatSheSaid Thu 07-Feb-13 23:22:18

There's a good kids playground at the waterfront in Devonport if we ever do a future meet up there and yes, some of the Waikehe ferries go there too.

AngryBeaver Fri 08-Feb-13 01:31:52

Yes, very nice play area at devonport looking out to sea....bliss!
also, Wynyard Quarter is really nice. Nice coffee/ eating places along the front and nice play area too.
When dh signs the contract we have 4 weeks to move..eeeeeeeeeekk!

Get this, one of my friends told her son (ds 1's friend,age 4) that we were moving. She just textme and saidd "just told ds you are moving and he said, why do they move so much, are they travellers?!"
Sums it up really!

vvviola Fri 08-Feb-13 02:23:05

My parents have just gone hmmhmm

Sitting on the couch with one sobbing little girl trying to explain why we can't "just go with them" hmm

justaboutchilledout Fri 08-Feb-13 02:59:45

Hello, came late to this, sorry! My mum landed two days ago so I think the next couple of weeks will be pretty hectic. Hope you had fun.

thelittlestkiwi Fri 08-Feb-13 03:12:27

So have you decided on the Waiheke question AB?

We're off on hols tomorrow. I really should be packing.

Safe flights frik.

AngryBeaver Fri 08-Feb-13 06:49:40

Awww, bless vvviola. Am dreading the same.
How are you?

justa good luck with your Mum, hope all goes well! Keep us posted..(remember...count to 50!)

littlest, we're going for it. I'll be an expert flax weaver in no time grin
Get packing!!!

frikonastick Fri 08-Feb-13 08:22:18

well, packing done, spent last night (and the next 2) at friends. went back to the house this morning to get cat boxed up for her new home and i had a little cry to myself. which is RIDICULOUS. i have only lived here 2 years, its not like i am leaving 'home' but for some reason i just feel very emotional about it all. maybe because we are leaving the middle east for good, rather than this house specifically or something. dunno.

tonight we have to say goodbye to our nanny who has been with us through all our different moves (before and after children!) thats going to be the hardest. DD has so far been ok with the idea of the nanny not coming with us, but i think the actuality of it will be very different. but, of course, no worse or better than anyone elses kids who have to say goodbye to grandparents or best friends etc etc. its just hard isnt it.

goodness! cheer up frik!!!!

<shouldnt be left unsupervised with the internet while feeling maudlin>

lollystix Fri 08-Feb-13 08:26:17

Frik - no getting round it. It's fecking awful saying goodbye. It just drags out. God only one glass of wine and I'm feel all emotional thinking about it for me 11months. Once it's done it's forward though - onwards and upwards. Just try to focus on this time in a week.

vvviola Fri 08-Feb-13 08:48:03

Frik - we were the same leaving Brussels (although a snowstorm on our last night and the fear we might not get out at all - having missed Christmas the previous year because of being snowed in - made us realise we were actually happy to go grin)

AB - I'm ok thanks. I've spent so much time comforting other people (Mum has been bursting into tears for days and DD1 was inconsolable today) that I haven't really been given the chance to be upset myself. We'll really miss them, although it will be nice to get back to "real life" again.

This thread is not accepting new messages.