WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

lollystix Sun 03-Feb-13 09:06:33

Lovely house - you could add a '1' to the front of that and it could be in my area grin.

justaboutchilledout Sun 03-Feb-13 09:08:34

sad for the speech therapy, that kinda thing is ruinous I know lolly. But you won't regret it longterm, one never regrets the money spent on helping children flourish. I know I don't and we have spent squillions.

Sounds like you need to compromise either on area or timing of buying, Lolly. If you are set on that area and you are consistently coming up $200+ short then you need to wait until they are in school I suspect.

lollystix Sun 03-Feb-13 09:22:26

yep -thinking we may be renting for another 2 yesrs then sad. I have justed looked at what our money could buy in Tauranga and I feel depressed. However it's a moot point as DH and I couldn't work in Tauranga. I feel like we are trapped in the same situation as the UK. Jobs that pay well in capital cities but mean nothing as the property is so bloody expensive.

BUT the sun is shining and the beach is 5 minutes walk away and we are not in recession (and I have a job!) so there is much to be grateful for.

(caveat - I realise I am sounding like a spoilt brat moaning about $900K houses when infact I know I'm very fortunate AND lots of you folk here have very real problems going on).

WhatSheSaid Sun 03-Feb-13 13:55:22

We got speech therapy through the public system so no cost...we did wait about 4-5 months for the first assessment but I wasn't too bothered as I wasn't convinced the problem was that serious. Once we did get seen our therapist was excellent.

Totally understand wanting to stay in area you are established in, especially once you have dcs in school.

frikonastick Sun 03-Feb-13 15:39:23

lolly, thats the EXACT reason DH and i were/are keen to avoid auckland etc.

but of course, if that where the work is......... then thats where we will head!

we were just hoping to live where we could buy and not have a huge mortgage. like everyone else i suppose grin

lollystix Sun 03-Feb-13 19:11:02

Whatshesaid - we had him assessed twice here for speech and they said not bad enough to get any funded help. He was getting funded help in UK. I started when he was 4 here with private therapy as I figured I've got a year to help him before school. 6 months to go but I think it's made a bit of a difference. Ds4 is 15 months now and saying nothing more than mama so I'm starting to think he may be along the same track as ds2 who was also like that. Ds1 and 3 are years ahead in terms of speech. Funny how they all differ so much.

Frik - I hear you. That's the holy grail really isn't it. Tauranga would be lovely.

What's with the weather today!??

AB - how are you feeling today?

WhatSheSaid Sun 03-Feb-13 19:24:13

It's weird because I felt dd1's speech wasn't poor enough to require therapy and yet we got funded! I felt like a bit of a fraud getting the help, I only referred her because kindy suggested it. I must have been in denial about it because I could understand her fine, obviously. She always had a big vocabulary but it was the clarity of speech the therapist worked on.

frik what areas of work are you and your dh in? (unless you don't want to say for privacy reasons)

thelittlestkiwi Sun 03-Feb-13 19:58:20

Sibble- sorry to hear about DH's redundancy. Fingers crossed he will find something in Auckland ASAP. What if's are very stressful.

AB- hope you feel okay. My granny got shingles in her late 80's. She'd had chicken pox as a teen and it was dormant until she got older and run down. I wonder if you have them cos you are run down? Take care of yourself if you can.

Lolly- we were in exactly the same boat 2 years ago. Kept missing out by 10, 20, 50K. We also looked at Meadowbank, Remuera etc but kept coming back to the beach. These suburbs are popular cos they have something the others don't. We could have bought a small three bed townhouse on 300sm but with no office space for me to work. Everyone was telling us to compromise. In the end we bought further from the beach but a bigger place and we're very happy. The downside is the 15 min walk or drive to the beach. But this house would be 200K more if it were closer and if we had that money we'd us it to buy a bach. Hang in there. Another house will be along in a fortnight.

AngryBeaver Sun 03-Feb-13 20:46:10

Feeling pretty low today. Think I may have had an early mc. But am too sad to find out for sure.

And dd started her new school today and it was fucking disastrous. She was wobbly before we left and then completely flipped when we were there, she cried and wailed and went all snotty and blotchy.

She wouldn't let go of me and was disturbing all others with her hysterics. Then I tried to leave (well, i ran) and she chased me down the hall screaming "Mummmmmmmmmmy dont leeeeeeeave me,take me HOOOOOOOOOOOOME!"

So, not the best day

WhatSheSaid Sun 03-Feb-13 20:46:50

Well I'm having a thrilling morning watching our old broken lawnmower sell on Trade Me. I put it on for $1 and it's up to $53 so far. The excitement never ends grin

WhatSheSaid Sun 03-Feb-13 20:50:42

Oh shit, I x-posted AB, sorry you're having such a shocker. You really are due some decent luck for a change.

Btw if your mum finds Waiheke boring, maybe she could take the dcs into Auckland to do fun and exciting things while you come and drink wine or neat spirits if you prefer with us

AngryBeaver Sun 03-Feb-13 20:52:53

Double vodka and coke, wss, hold the coke

lollystix Mon 04-Feb-13 05:29:55

Oh AB - what a shit day. sadsadsad

justaboutchilledout Mon 04-Feb-13 05:48:27

Sorry, AB. Again.

frikonastick Mon 04-Feb-13 05:56:21

oh thats shit AB. my DD is/was a terrible school goer. it is just awful when they scream and cry and you have to leave them. it literally goes against every instinct. DDs school is very good though and the teacher always takes pics of DD about 5 minutes after i have left and sends them to my phone so i can see she really is fine. still the worst bloody way to start a day!

whatshesaid, we are both in construction, but mostly consultant side of things. although we are multidisciplinary and not all that fixed in our ideas of what we will or wont do. iyswim.

pakers due in 5 minutes. shock

AngryBeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 07:31:52

OK...I've bounced back. All fine.
<dusts self off>
Tomorrow's another day and all that.
smile
frick That's so nice of your dd's teacher. Mine was so busy meeting and greeting all the new kids/parents, I hated to trouble her.

I rang reception at lunch and the lady told me she had seen her and she was "full of beans".

I told dd that when she came home and she said "No I wasn't, I haven't had any beans! I was full of jam sandwich?!"
grin

Good luck with the move frick x

AngryBeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 07:33:01

Watching new Criminal Minds??Love it!

thelittlestkiwi Mon 04-Feb-13 08:29:29

AB- I'm sorry.

And your resilience is awesome.

AngryBeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 09:20:05

littlest to coin a Kiwism, It's all good.
<convincing>

We all have shit to shovel
smile
<and wine helps>

justaboutchilledout Mon 04-Feb-13 09:25:19

<domestic trivia alert>

I locked myself out today. Well, I thought I had, then I found at 2 o'clock that the keys were actually at a friend's house where i had had coffee that morning.
I had - wait for it - HUNG THEM ON HER HOOK!
Who does that?
I am obviously nuts.

thelittlestkiwi Mon 04-Feb-13 09:34:23

I locked myself out this week too Justabout.

I've just watched Grey's. I'm traumatised.

lollystix Mon 04-Feb-13 09:42:19

My 6 yo told me the nanny locked herself out with the baby and he had to let her back in. I wish he hadn't told me that. hmm

AngryBeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 18:37:45

justa, make yourself at home why doncha?!

litttlest, me too!

lolly, hmm...yes. Sure it was just one of those very unusal occurances

frikonastick Tue 05-Feb-13 06:06:59

day 2 of packing

aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

chaos

WhatSheSaid Tue 05-Feb-13 06:29:31

Sympathies on the packing frik

lollystix (dare I ask) had the nanny been somewhere with the baby and left the 6 yr old alone???

This thread is not accepting new messages.