WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

justaboutchilledout Fri 01-Feb-13 03:10:51

We bought our house for $500k exactly.

But that was before the market moved, I guess it would be close to 600k now.

WhatSheSaid Fri 01-Feb-13 04:34:43

Speaking of houses, lollystix are you going to the auction for that house you were interested in?

vvviola Fri 01-Feb-13 05:04:41

Bah. Applied for a job at the university but didn't get it hmm

Would have been perfect too.

frikonastick Fri 01-Feb-13 05:29:44

omygosh its only 8 days till we leave for new zealand. 8 days. eight days. eiiiiiiiighhhhhht daaaaaayyyyyssssss.

nope. doesnt matter how i type it or say it, i still cant believe it.

yes! where is lolly? we need to know about the house!

meerkate its totally cool to hear from you and AB i spent quite some time on trademe and realestate nz checking out waiheke and DH was all like, oooohhh i like that place! lets move there! when i told him it was a teeny island, he was even more enthusiastic........ <budge over AB, make room for 3more in waiheke>

frikonastick Fri 01-Feb-13 05:30:40

:-( vvviola. that sucks

frikonastick Fri 01-Feb-13 05:38:51

so, also i just had a look and we have all been on this thread since the 17th jan 2011.

surely we get a prize for longest running thread or something?

thanks AB for starting it!

AngryBeaver Fri 01-Feb-13 07:56:18

Oh my god frick don't tease me! Would so love to have you to meet for flat white's on Waiheke....8 daaaaayyyyys though? Woohoo!
vviola booo, shame. One will come up that is just right for you soon smile

lollystix Fri 01-Feb-13 09:18:28

House - WWYD?
So auction this Sunday. My 10% is waiting in UK to go but I don't want to move it in advance as exchange so crap (yes I know it won't get much better...). So told estate agent this and said if we win they can have 10% by mid week due to timezones etc. she said probs ok and I have signed variation form but not heard back from seller (who is in UK!) as to whether this is ok? Do we wing it and hope it is?

frikonastick Fri 01-Feb-13 11:29:01

wing it!

<waits with baited breath>

WhatSheSaid Fri 01-Feb-13 17:46:03

Yeah, wing it, I think.

I really don't think the exchange rate is going to get better for a long time, it's been at 2:1 for, what, 2 years? Longer? If anything it's getting worse. I transferred some £ over a few years ago and I just brought it, on the basis I could at least get 4% interest on it here while it was getting virtually nothing in the UK.

justaboutchilledout Fri 01-Feb-13 21:22:04

Wing it! Fingers crossed.

thelittlestkiwi Fri 01-Feb-13 22:54:21

Chase the agent. You have to register to bid on the day.

Good luck.

I have a great builder if you need one.

thelittlestkiwi Fri 01-Feb-13 22:56:01

Exchange rate of 1.86 is a shocker. I doubt we'll see 2.5 for a while but 2 might happen.

WhatSheSaid Fri 01-Feb-13 23:04:18

The exchange rate was $3.44 to the £ when I moved here shock

Disclaimer: I had absolutely no money to transfer at the time and did not benefit from this rate at all. grin

justaboutchilledout Fri 01-Feb-13 23:47:35

We had to pay off DH's student loan (chose to) when it was that rate.

justaboutchilledout Fri 01-Feb-13 23:57:16

More generally, longterm I we are working on the expectation that the market in England will not start to recover for another 8 or 9 years, and that we will not want to sell property there for another 14/15.
Therefore we will bump along on the financial bottom for another couple of years, then hopefully I will start earning a little to help us along a bit. But we anticipate raising the kids on a very tight budget, but hopefully keeping the English stuff in reserve to help with uni fees/first home deposits for them, that kind of thing.
We didn't expect this, but no one really expected such a severe protracted global recession. I think in terms of a couple of decades of below-average returns, myself.

WhatSheSaid Sat 02-Feb-13 00:12:45

Has anyone enrolled their dcs in Kiwisaver? I keep meaning to, I have the forms and everything. I'm not just thinking about their retirement but the fact they could use their Kiwisaver towards a first home deposit (and who knows what house prices will be like when they are adults confused)

lollystix Sat 02-Feb-13 04:28:50

Agent said not heard back from seller but should be ok cos her boss said so and the cash goes into their bank account and not the sellers. So I reckon we wing it. littlest - ill need a builder. And a new deck!

justaboutchilledout Sat 02-Feb-13 05:52:37

Oh good.

Fingers crossed. You will have to do live MN updates from the auction floor.

lollystix Sat 02-Feb-13 09:10:07

Frik - Tauranga first for you for a while?

frikonastick Sat 02-Feb-13 13:24:29

Yep :-)

thelittlestkiwi Sat 02-Feb-13 19:31:47

Has anyone every had a problem with borer/woodworm here? I noticed yesterday that we have holes in the wood of two built in cupboards downstairs. I'm a bit concerned that it may be in the wood supports for the house.

But suspect if I get a pest control company in they'll say we need to spray the whole house regardless. I don't trust them! I'm off to Mitre10 today to buy some spray and borer bombs but really hope it isn't a hidden problem. Gulp.

justaboutchilledout Sat 02-Feb-13 19:43:08

oh goodness, I would do exactly the same and hope for the best

but I am like that

AngryBeaver Sat 02-Feb-13 20:09:10

Yes to live updates lolly!<dreams of day I will get my own house again>

Neighbour in Uk has emailed to say strange goings on with our tenants. Am hoping we are not going to get bad news!

littlest
http://howto.yellow.co.nz/home-garden/home-repair-and-maintenance/how-to-get-rid-of-borer/

AngryBeaver Sat 02-Feb-13 20:09:38

This thread is not accepting new messages.