WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

xMinerva Fri 25-Jan-13 08:38:55

Hey all.

Sorry about your family's loss vvv

High tea sounds lovely justa Glad you enjoyed it.

We already have people contacting is saying "oh, we'll be out there in xyz to see you all" and I'm thinking "yeah, bet you will be now we live in NZ, never bothered when we lived in UK"

Loving not having a tv. I recommend it. Evenings have been so lovely and anything we do want to watch we use the comp and use catch up tv.

Anyone been to Long Bay? We've been there a lot recently. Great park, lots to discover, loads of grassy picnic areas and the beach. Was there today and thinking maybe we could do a meet up there. Pack a picnic and what have you?

Been busy on Blipfoto the last few days. Think I'm becoming a bit addicted.

vvviola Fri 25-Jan-13 08:54:56

Oh, yes, Long Bay is my new favourite place. grin

I was there with DD1 for a get together with some school friends while DD2 was at crèche. I got to drink a hot cup of coffee, have a full conversation and only got bugged for treats twice grin the little track for scooters is a massive hit too.

Definitely up for a meet up there!

justaboutchilledout Fri 25-Jan-13 09:25:10

Long Bay is AMAZING. I'm definitely up for a meetup there.

Vviola are you up for meetups again yet, or are you still in parent-visiting-mode?

vvviola Fri 25-Jan-13 20:45:47

I'm still in parent-visiting-mode for a couple of weeks I'm afraid. But - if anyone is free on Tuesday next week, they're away with DD1 for the day, so could meet up somewhere with DD2.

justaboutchilledout Fri 25-Jan-13 21:38:38

Tuesday? Could do a Long Bay meetup in the afternoon, how does that work for you re: naps?

vvviola Fri 25-Jan-13 21:42:50

Should be no problem - if it's early afternoon I'll keep her up & then she should fall asleep in car on way there. If it's a bit later then she should have had her nap already. So whatever time suits you should be fine.

Napping is one aspect of sleep that thankfully (mostly!) causes few problems!

xMinerva Fri 25-Jan-13 23:57:26

I can't do Tuesday as J has swimming lesson. He also starts Kindy on Thursday which I he is more than ready for. blush

Will keep an eye on weather forecast for another meet up though.

WhatSheSaid Sat 26-Jan-13 01:27:34

I may come up to Long Bay too, I've been meaning to take the kids there all holiday. We still have nearly 2 weeks till school starts, it's all gone quite quickly though.

justaboutchilledout Sat 26-Jan-13 02:30:44

ooh exciting. Is this a chance for me to use my new chillybin? I'll supply the cool squash. We can experiment with iceblocks too.

xMinerva Sat 26-Jan-13 08:22:40

What time will you meet? Swimming lesson is 2-2.30pm so I could always come over before or after depending on how long you'll be there.

WhatSheSaid Sat 26-Jan-13 08:25:38

Doesn't have to be Tuesday for me, can be later in the week.

AngryBeaver Sat 26-Jan-13 08:56:14

Oh envy!
Just back from Waiheke. Lots of feelings and tension. Might have cried. Dh very keen tolive there but it was so much more of an island than I expected.
It is tiny.
The Countdown is a bit grotty. Th "town centre" is minute. The school playground has no shade cloths and needs updating.
Well, basically it is VERY beautiful, but it is an island, full of bush, with a few shops dotted about!
I am scared.
It is STUNNING no doubt. But, I don't know.

AngryBeaver Sat 26-Jan-13 08:56:46

Sorry, the envy was to the meetups!

WhatSheSaid Sat 26-Jan-13 09:30:59

Sorry but I am grin a bit at "so much more of an island than I expected"

Have you told your dh how you feel? You don't want to be moving there and then moving off again in a year or so.

WhatSheSaid Sat 26-Jan-13 09:33:49

And that's why some people love it, of course, because it's small and laid-back and people know each other and it's a bit basic and there aren't lots of shops etc etc etc. But if it's not for you, it's not for you and it's expensive to get off the island on a regular basis.

justaboutchilledout Sat 26-Jan-13 09:41:39

AB, can I be honest?

If you haven't fallen in love with it unconditionally, don't do it.

You will be isolated. It is small, its shops are expensive, you have reservations already about the school, and you are going to be on a tight budget which means you really DON'T have the option of leaving the island with a car anytime you feel about it.

You could be really unhappy on Waiheke, or you could be blissfully happy. But unless you can see yourself being so blissfully happy that the practical stuff I have outlined doesn't matter to you at all, then it's a disaster in the making.

DH doesn't have to spend all day, everyday there. You do.

Don't go for Waiheke unless you are 100% sure it is what you want.

There is a very good reason why so many people move to Waiheke and come back after a couple of years.

Also...you both wanted to move to Auckland. Not Waiheke. If you are going to live somewhere in the back of beyond where you are isolated and restricted, then there are cheaper places. And probably equally prettier ones.

I think Waiheke could be the worst of both worlds - Auckland prices, so really expensive to live - but Waiheke isolation, so frustratingly close to a world-class city you don't have the money to get to except now and again.

I am not saying don't do it, but please don't do it halfheartedly.

lollystix Sat 26-Jan-13 10:40:14

wise words justabout (albeit from someone who has never been to Waiheke).

Just my twopennethworth from where we used to live (which was total civilisation so not remotely comparable) when I was on maternity leave. DH wanted to spend every weekend walking around that area as it was his weekend and relaxing for him. He'd spend the week rushing into the city and wanted to chill in our local coffee shops. I'd tramped those streets to death back and forth from school and nursery and the thought of going for a Costa in said area (another babychino anyone?) on my weekend killed me. And when we move to Auckland (which is a vertitable paradise compared to old area) again he wanted to spend all weekend chilling in our suburb which I'd tramped to death in the week and I moaned and said it was boring and I'd done that all week - could we not just get out and do something different?

Now I work FT and long to spend the weekend doing bugger all in our suburb and that's a perect weekend for me. So my rambling point after drinking wine, watching Dallas and watching DH build our BBQ for the last 3 hours is that it may be idyllic for your DH who gets his daily civilisation fix from 9-5 (or whatever his hours are) but for you doing it 24-7 it with no escape, it could be a 'bit much'. And you will be longing to spend weekends escaping as you'll have help and he'll want to stay home. And escaping will be expensive.

Apologies if I'm coming at this from too much of a personal perspective - said it was my two pennethworth, but as Justabout says there are other areas which are less cut off,very beautiful and less expensive.

WhatSheSaid Sat 26-Jan-13 18:38:30

AB If your dh is happy with the commute time from Waiheke (which is an hour really, when you add up driving/bussing to ferry, getting on ferry, getting off at other end, walking to Fort St) maybe you can look at other places within an hours commute of the CBD. Maybe you can find somewhere, quiet-ish, perhaps with the space you are after but where it is still easier for you to get to a bigger variety of activities/shops/beaches/parks/facilities.

Fort st is quite a good location in that all the trains and many buses finish at Britomart which is 5 mins walk from Fort St. If he did want to use public transport that is (e.g express bus from somewhere a bit further out)

Btw, we don't have any shade cloths at our school, I'm not sure how many do? Maybe lots do, just not the ones near us!

justaboutchilledout Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:41

We have shade cloths over the sandpit, that's all. But there are also a lot of trees which partially shade some of the playing areas.

vvviola Sun 27-Jan-13 03:42:45

Tuesday is the only day that suits me - but if another day suits you guys better, we can catch up another time.

It may all be moot anyway - DD2 has been getting sick every 2 hours since yesterday evening. The only thing that's staying down is breastmilk - and then only half the time. So unless there is a miraculous recovery overnight, Tuesday won't be happening for us hmm

frikonastick Sun 27-Jan-13 04:26:55

crumbs. 18 days till we arrive in NZ.

grin

thelittlestkiwi Sun 27-Jan-13 06:37:57

Frik- have you seen the 10 day forecast? smile

xMinerva Sun 27-Jan-13 07:51:32

I'll come to the next one if you do Tuesday. Not a problem. May e we can time it right for frik grin

I was told today that due to the better summer weather being in Febuary, they are thinking of moving the 6week break so it starts mid January. Anyone else heard this?

AngryBeaver Sun 27-Jan-13 08:43:02

Yeeha frik!
I'm still fretting over Waiheke. Dh has said it's either there or he turns the job down...no pressure then!

justaboutchilledout Sun 27-Jan-13 08:46:00

Oh. Right.
In that case.
Ignore my previous post.
And do whatever you think will be best for marital happiness.

This thread is not accepting new messages.