WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

xMinerva Sat 19-Jan-13 06:51:45

Mr Rentals is the firm we used too.

Brilliant, plumbed in the washing machine and sorted fridge for me, gave me the sofa half price and left a pack of Ferraro Rochers for us.

Fridge and washing machine are brand new too, sofa not but that's why we got it half price. Still in fab condition though.

lollystix Sat 19-Jan-13 07:25:19

We bought bar fridge from good guys for $300 until ours came. Had tiny freezer compartment but we still use it loads even though our UK fridge freezer is here. It's stocked mainly with beer but a bit of overflow food. I looked at mr rentals but they seemed really expensive and wanted a years contract.

justaboutchilledout Sat 19-Jan-13 08:28:47

Frik you are a natural Kiwi. All my Kiwi friends AND my Kiwi DH are totally, totally obsessed with fridges. They discuss their finer points at length. I remember my MIL showing me her new fridge, I thought she was quite mad to be so excited, then I saw other Kiwis with their refridgerators and understood. Welcome to fridge-loving land.

and X- I'd use any firm that left Ferraro Rochers for me!

frikonastick Sat 19-Jan-13 09:30:16

proper LOL at fellow fridge lovers!!

yaaaaaayyyyy!

<embraces new motherland>

AngryBeaver Sat 19-Jan-13 09:52:06

ferrero rochers....<cannot communicate further> mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WhatSheSaid Sat 19-Jan-13 20:50:10

Dh has taken the dcs to Piha for a couple of hours so I have some time to myself. Do I

a) blitz the house to try to get it looking semi-decent or

b) lie on the sofa watching crap TV and eating leftovers?

Either way, Wonder Pets is going off the telly STRAIGHT AWAY.

justaboutchilledout Sat 19-Jan-13 23:31:16

Hee hee I hope the sofa won.

The boys are at respite this afternoon and I am taking DH to high tea in central Auckland, courtesy of GrabOne. Shall report back.

AngryBeaver Sun 20-Jan-13 00:04:37

Hope you picked the sofa,*wss*!

What was your high tea like justa..(I bet you say scoones and not scone's don't you!wink)

WhatSheSaid Sun 20-Jan-13 01:28:17

Scone to rhyme with "gone", not "own", surely!

WhatSheSaid Sun 20-Jan-13 01:29:13

Oh and I went for a bike ride <virtuous> and then did some housework while watching a film I had MySkyed ages ago.

justaboutchilledout Sun 20-Jan-13 05:08:18

Very impressed by WSS's industry.

I discovered that really the best way to exercise in our pool is butterfly. I can do a whole length without killing myself unlike in the public pools

High tea was super. Although if I am being picky, the cucumber sandwiches had been cut earlier in the day and were a LEETLE dried out. Other than that, excellent.

frikonastick Sun 20-Jan-13 05:16:23

well. i have been wondering around for the last 2 days with really painful lower stomach pains and sore ribs. could not for the life of me work out what i could have done to injure myself, but this morning while getting up at 5am to take DH to the airport, and huddling over my poor poor stomach as i rolled myself out of bed i remembered.

hoola hooping.

thats right people. i hoola hooped with DD the other day and was seriously congratualting myself on being the only one who could sort of keep the hoop above my knees for 0.3 seconds.

and now i am paying the price.

DH was like, ho thats brilliant, you should do it every day if its such a good workout. the bastard.

vvviola Sun 20-Jan-13 07:05:14

High tea is on the long list of things that DH is going to treat me to once I manage to convince DD2 to stop breastfeeding. It sounds fab!

Poor you frik!

After nearly a week of holiday with my parents whose concept of time and speed are, shall we say, fluid, I'm very much looking forward to being home and back to normality again. That isn't to say we haven't been having an absolute ball, but it'll be nice to be home again.

Other than the day of hill climbing & ice skating I've done no exercise and have been eating like a pig. But then it is holiday time grin

WhatSheSaid Sun 20-Jan-13 07:39:00

Frik, one of my postnatal group hula hoops regularly as exercise.she reckons it is a great workout you can do at home, in ten minutes, while the kids are otherwise occupied.she calls it the murder hoop.
She eats loads of cake and is slim so I guess it works.
Watching that drama about fred west. Hardly the most cheery of subjects but very good acting.

AngryBeaver Sun 20-Jan-13 08:51:31

I say scone to rhyme with gone, but I am a common northener! I was once told (by my elocution teacher) that I sounded like "one of those aaawful market trader people!"
High tea sounds good,justa nice to get out for a treat.

frick you must've been giving it bifters with the hoola hoop! Might give it a try. AAlthough I am going tothe pump class tomorrow am. Dear God I must be insane. No air con in that place in and I nearly passed out the last time.
It took my head a ridiculously long time to return to an acceptable colour!!

frikonastick Sun 20-Jan-13 08:59:49

am gratified to learn that it is a muscle killer! not that i am just so pathetically unfit that a bit of hip swivelling has rendered me practically bloody bed bound

i also say scon

<links arms with AB>

frikonastick Tue 22-Jan-13 18:17:36

Holy shit. Did I kill it? After 5 series?

That has to be some sort of record right?

Hello?

lollystix Tue 22-Jan-13 18:48:42

Hello grin. I have no exciting news. Just work ontop of more work but my cousin is coming in a month so I'm excited about that.

Oh and do we do a pre auction offer or not? Honestly torn as to what to do so much so that I have passed it over to DH to manage which is very unlike me - I'm usually a total control freak about theses things.

WhatSheSaid Tue 22-Jan-13 19:44:57

From what I know, when people make pre-auction offers the estate agent goes to the buyers and says "look at this offer, if you go to auction you will get even more!". They like it to go to auction as they get extra payments for auctions (auctioneers fee etc).

Having said that, the vendors may wish to avoid the extra fees and will be happy to sell before auction - so I suppose I'm saying I really don't know grin. I don't think it would actually do any harm to put in a pre auction offer. Round here everything seems to be going to auction though, regardless of whether there are offers first.

That report yesterday on the unaffordability of Auckland property wasn't very encouraging for those trying to buy.

justaboutchilledout Tue 22-Jan-13 21:16:51

I can't see that there is any harm in doing a pre auction offer. Then at least you know the lie of the land, so to speak. And you can do a conditional offer re: building survey, so that you don't waste money if they are not interested.

thelittlestkiwi Tue 22-Jan-13 22:11:42

We did a pre auction offer. The danger is that you do set a base price which the agent will then tell other people. They then go away and readjust what they are willing to pay.

I think it depends on the situation of the sellers. If they are living there people can get fed up of cleaning up for open homes. Or they may have a property they want to buy so want to have the certainty of having sold. But if it is empty people aren't so fussed.

Don't be intimidated by apparent competition. We bid on a really popular property that had tons of viewers and we expected 4 people to bid. On the day it was only us and one other couple. Unfortunately for us, the wife was about 9 months pregnant and they got over excited and even bid against themselves at one point.

House buying here is tough. But you have to be in it to win it.

Can you tell I'm 'working' today?

vvviola Tue 22-Jan-13 23:30:24

Ooh all this talk of auctions etc makes me want to start looking at property grin

More family drama here - another sudden death, in a really complex family situation so extra angst.

And also, I'm done with visitors now. I don't want them gone, but I'd like to go back to seeing them for Sunday dinner or for a long weekend. And it's bloody expensive having visitors for so long... hmm

justaboutchilledout Wed 23-Jan-13 00:59:22

oh viola. sad

frikonastick Wed 23-Jan-13 03:48:35

sorry to hear that vvviola

lollystix Wed 23-Jan-13 04:23:17

Sadly justabout we already spent $770 on the building report sad. To be told its damp, has a cracked drive, needs a reprint. And has deck and gutting issues along with window issues.

This thread is not accepting new messages.