WHERE'S BEST TO LIVE IN NZ AND WHAT DO WE NEED TO KNOW: PART 5!

(1000 Posts)
AngryBeaver Tue 27-Nov-12 09:01:29

Look at us Chatty Cathy's!
Justa oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo<breathes>ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(I'm not sure grin)

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 02:52:00

Hermione, that's what we pay too, and kids under 16 are free. We're on the Shore - we use Te Puna Hauora.

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 02:52:15

And thanks for the booko tip!

xMinerva Sun 13-Jan-13 04:24:28

I don't think my dc have seen a doctor for about 2yrs. I've seen the doctor more since I've been in NZ than they have in their entire lives, put together blush

Signed contract today, pick up keys on Tuesday. Thanks for all the suggestions on furniture. Will definitely be making use of them.

xMinerva Sun 13-Jan-13 04:25:24

<<must not buy more books, must not buy more books, and repeat....>>

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 05:22:01

Congratulations on the contract!

vvviola Sun 13-Jan-13 05:48:10

Woo hoo xMinerva smile that's great news. We must catch up when I'm back from my travels, especially as you'll be so close.

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 06:20:57

http://www.junkndisorderly.co.nz/

There it is, Minerva

AngryBeaver Sun 13-Jan-13 07:31:40

Exciting xminerva!
Yes, thanks for the booko tip!
vviola gah to the early return, that's so funny that they want to come back to go to the beach when Waiheke has loads!!

justa I'm more of a traditional cook, but do a mean curry. Both Indian and Thai. It's great that you can get coconut milk and bamboo shoots,spices and chapatti flour when you go in to get your veg!
dd has a real aversion to most veggie shops though and sometimes cries if she has to go in! She says they smell too spicey

xMinerva Sun 13-Jan-13 08:32:28

Brilliant, thanks Justabout.

Yes we should all catch up at some point. I think I still owe you both a coffee.

We're still doing all our shopping at the supermarkets at the moment but new year, new house, new budget so will be shopping around more to lower our (ridiculously high) grocery bills. Will be checking out local veg shops etc.

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 08:59:53

LOL at AB's dd. My DS3 thinks that fruit shops are the most exciting place in the world. (deprived childhood)

There's a good fruit and veg shop on the road back from Browns Bay, I sometimes go in there when I've been to windsor cafe.

frikonastick Sun 13-Jan-13 10:04:31

Turned down house, friend very nice about it, so awkward situation averted! Here is the link to it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-to-rent/auction-551860608.htm

This is the one we are trying to get now.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/residential-property-to-rent/auction-551336581.htm

It's advertised as no pets in this ad, but with another agent as 30 dollars a week less and no mention of pets being not allowed. So we shall see!

Either way I have the motel booked for 2 weeks so if we can't come right before then, not a train smash.

Haven't been able to find anything suitable that has a pool though, so very jealous justa!

notfarmingatthemo Sun 13-Jan-13 16:08:02

I posted on a previous thread but can't find it so don't know which name I used.
The bring you all up to date. My dh is a Quantity surveyor and applied for PR visa under smc. We now have visa, rented out our house, booked flights and have booked a bacc. (thanks for the link I found on here) We are moving to Christchurch area.
We arrive on the 10th March.
This is when it get scary. Our girls are 7 and 11 I am guessing I should check out the schools in the areas I think we want to live as well as entertaining the girls.
Not flown long haul before how is jet lag likely to affect us. If we arrive on the Sunday when should dh start work. I am thinking he should go in a meet people for a few hours on the Tuesday and the go in on the Wednesday.
Does anyone have any tips. We are flying Singapore and have a stopover at chi. I want to go swimming I think that is at T1 can we book into the transit hotel in T1 even though our flights land and take off in T3.

WhatSheSaid Sun 13-Jan-13 17:30:04

frik like the sea view and the bigger garden on the first one. And the random teenage daughter/tenant in the pictures! House is a bit cluttered though.

notfarming hmm, I seem to remember going on a little train between terminals at Singapore so you can easily get from one to another I think. Someone who has flown there more recently than me may know for sure. Your dh starting work - I remember starting work 2 days after getting back a couple of times and being pretty shattered. May want to give it a few more days or even a week? Mind you, justabout bought a house within about 2 days of being here so maybe I am just particularly bad at jet lag!

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 19:22:43

Yes absolutely notfarming, WSS is right, you just get the transit train and it is a couple of minutes.

justaboutchilledout Sun 13-Jan-13 19:24:10

(And if you are worried about jetlag, then go to the Chiangi chemist and buy some melatonin, then take it as a family until you are settled. You can get it overthecounter in Singapore, but it's prescription-only in the UK and NZ.

xMinerva Sun 13-Jan-13 19:30:21

I quite like that first house, ok it needs a bit of updating but tbh, most of the houses we saw did, as long at it was clean and functional, I stopped being so worried about the old kitchens/bathrooms.

2nd house is lovely though.

NotFarming congrats on getting everything sorted. We didn't find the jet lag too bad. Dc are 3yrs and 2yrs. We landed on a Saturday morning so just kept us all awake with a couple of small naps and went to bed on Saturday night as normal. Not sure whether the tummy bug we all came down with as soon as we got here helped or not though.

Dp got here on a Friday morning, started work on the Monday. He actually suffered from the jet lag more than the dc and I. Took him about 2 weeks to get over it.

vvviola Mon 14-Jan-13 07:13:36

Anyone done a domestic flight with Air NZ & brought a buggy.

Off to Nelson in the morning and just realised I don't know if they let you take the buggy to the gate. I can manage both DDs without the buggy, but being able to confine DD2, even briefly makes life easier, especially as DH isn't flying with us.

WhatSheSaid Mon 14-Jan-13 07:16:50

No, I've flown Jetstar domestically but not Air NZ. Can you give them a ring to check?

xMinerva Mon 14-Jan-13 07:21:33

Have you got a sling? I've got an ergo which was a life saver at the airport coming over here.

I'd let you borrow it but its probably a bit late now.

Yeah, just ring and check though.

vvviola Mon 14-Jan-13 07:40:39

I tried to call earlier but was on hold for ages - will try again.

It's not the end of the world if I can't keep it to the gate. I do have a sling, I used to use it a lot for the school run, but haven't used it since I had the little bump in the car. I'm not sure whether she the wilful little madam will go into it happily. Worth a try though!

AngryBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 07:43:23

I would defo give the sling a try. You might need your hands free at some stages for boarding pass/passport checks etc.
Have a lovely time smile

AngryBeaver Mon 14-Jan-13 07:43:59

Oh sorry, domestic...you won't need a passport. But you know what I mean!

vvviola Mon 14-Jan-13 22:58:12

AB - I just couldn't get my head around getting on a plane without passports. So they came with us anyway blush

Result of everything is no buggy can be brought to gate. They couldn't tell me why international flights are different. Am glad I brought the sling although DD2 has spent most of the time trying to wriggle out of it!!

WhatSheSaid Tue 15-Jan-13 01:00:34

Have a great time viola. Are you going to Abel Tasman national park while you're there?

vvviola Tue 15-Jan-13 02:25:08

Not if the rain doesn't stop, WSS! grin

I'm still stunned by the flight - no security, no X-ray, no scanners. Just like getting on a bus. Mind you, was about as bumpy as my old local bus too!

This thread is not accepting new messages.