Expat nannies or child minders in Singapore?

(19 Posts)
makingitup Sun 25-Nov-12 03:25:27

Anyone know any expat nannies or child minders in Singapore?
Full time nurseries, helpers or singaporeon nannies seem like the only childcare options in Singapore from my research.
I currently work 3 full days a week and my 2 and 1/2 year old boy goes to a great pre-school for 3 hours each morning. Currently we have a helper who picks him up from school and plays with him during the afternoon until i get home early evening. We're not entirely happy with the situation for various reasons and would much prefer a child minder or another parent if at all possible.
Any advice out there? Does this exist?
Cheers
Cathy

Let me ask around. Quite common here in hong kong, but never come across one in singapore.
You looking for a live-in?

forevergreek Sun 25-Nov-12 11:55:27

If you are prepared to pay you could find an English nanny from a London agency who will work abroad. They don't come cheap though and will require a visa and accomadation provided

makingitup Sun 25-Nov-12 14:59:45

Thanks for the responses guys. Not looking for live-in - would be great if you could ask around - thanks so much. Good idea about London agency... prob out of our price range but worth looking into.

Hi, no personal recomendation am afraid.
Have you posted on the noticeboards at the british club, TTS or Dover court?
How about mother and child at tanglin mall? The health visitors might be able to point you the right direction?
Also thinking through the doulas at parentlink?

Merlion Mon 26-Nov-12 03:36:54

I know of one who is just about to go back to Oz but I will ask her if she knows of anyone else (she was live-in though).

If you are looking for local nannies (not expat but trained in childcare and experienced) try an agency called innovon. We used them when we were looking for a babysitter when dd2 was very small. The lady who came (and babysat on and off for a couple of years) was Singaporean but a (young) grandma herself and worked every day as a nanny for another expat family (7-7 I think).

I've never heard of expat day nannies in singapore I'm afraid but ask around, doesn't mean they don't exist!

Moving2Zurich Fri 18-Jan-13 06:50:41

Hi makingitup

Are you still looking for a nanny? My current nanny is Srilankan, she has been with us for over a year and is Infant & Child First Aid certified. She used to run her own home nursery back home. We will be relocating to Zurich and I'd like to help her find another posting.

makingitup Mon 11-Feb-13 08:43:51

Hi there
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - when are you leaving? Have you already found a job for your Sri Lankan nanny?

IWasTheBadOne Mon 25-Feb-13 07:38:20

Hi OP

Not sure if you're still looking for a nanny, but I found your post very interesting. I am a British mother living in Singapore with my two children. I am NNEB qualified and now that my younger son is in mostly full time school I am starting to investigate going back to work, and would prefer part-time so I can be with them as much as possible. Kindergartens seem to have such long hours that I think I have to rule them out, but would be open to the possibility of working as a nanny. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in talking more.

kday Mon 25-Feb-13 12:40:43

Iwasthebadone - if you find that the OP has already found someone - please let me know. I am hoping to go back to work this year and would love to find an expat nanny for my almost 2 year old, and two older daughters who are at school (5.5 and 4).

soapnuts Mon 25-Feb-13 12:45:09

Same here! If neither of the previous posters work out I'd be interested in a part-time expat nanny or childminder. I want to go back to work part time but cannot face having any live in help. PM me if you'd like to have a chat.

IWasTheBadOne Mon 25-Feb-13 13:23:36

This is very interesting! This is the first time I've considered doing nannny work. I suppose because so many people have live-in help that I assumed it wasn't possible here. I certainly don't know of any other expat nannies,but I'm sure there's no reason it can't be done.

Not entirely sure how to approach this. I think the best thing to do is PM anyone interested with some details about me, and you can decide if you want to go ahead with anything.

kday Mon 25-Feb-13 13:25:45

The biggest issue might be a visa one....

kday Mon 25-Feb-13 13:34:11

I've sent you a PM!

OMG Kday!!!! just realised never answered your PM blush
You still looking?
sending you a message in a second
sorry for highjack

Agree visa will be difficult to obtain. Not sure under which category it would fall. I suppose a "nanny" would be considered under the domestic helper category, unless you have valid qualification for teaching early years?

nicweatherhead123 Mon 15-Jul-13 13:54:30

Hi

Are you still looking for nanny work? I have a 7 month old and I'm interested in a p/t nanny.

Thanks
Nic

UsefulBonders Mon 03-Mar-14 02:55:09

Hi. I am a mother of 2 teenagers who are mostly in school in the mornings till early afternoon. I would like to mind a child/children in the mornings at least 3 hours. Am articulate in the English language, great storyteller, good bonding skills and generally good with children. I'm also trained in Early Childhood. You may contact me at pramila_kumaran@yahoo.com.sg

cassandra22 Thu 22-May-14 15:43:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now