Moving to Bangkok with 2 kids...

(34 Posts)
annabellesmum Thu 18-Oct-12 20:26:39

Hello

DH has been offered a job in Bangkok...we have 2 DDs (2 & 4) and I wanted to find out if anyone had recommendations on international schools/ places to live (his office is in the centre of the business area).

Feel a bit overwhelmed so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Happy see you re-assured. Bangkok is a very friendly place.

Am also one who feels much safer walking the streets of Bangkok than those of many European capitals. No hordes of moody hooded teenage yobs and a funily very relaxed pace in such a busy urban environment.

cant offer advice on schools, i guess it depends a bit on where you want to live.
I stayed with a friend in December and really liked the condos in the back streets of the Sathorn area.
Ekkamai is turning into a trendy euro enclave and also feels very relaxed considering its so central.

HTH

KathieC Tue 09-Apr-13 14:58:50

Thanks for the information, it has really helped, I am starting to get excited now, but I may have a
Few more practical questions at a later date if you don't mind lovely ladies

larose Wed 26-Jun-13 22:06:44

Hi Annabellesmum!
I know u posted a while a go but I am really intrigued to know how things worked out for u and ur family in Bangkok. DH just been offered job there and we also have two little ones (18 months and 4). Just be great to hear ur experience of settling in with kids etc so far. Xx

larose Thu 27-Jun-13 06:55:09

Btw - if any one could share what they do with their kids day today that would be great - just wondering if there are green open play areas, toddler groups, activities for kids. Is it too hot to be outside with them loads etc? I'm finding it really hard to think how life will be as only ever visited BBK prior to have kids! Thanks xx

ripsishere Tue 02-Jul-13 02:23:38

There are parks, but TBH, unless you are there super early or relatively late in the afternoon they are too hot. OTOH, my DD never seemed fussed by the heat.
She spent more time at the Children's museum at Chatuchak than anywhere else. She also went to Bambi playgroups and started school ASAP. More for the socializing than anything else since she is an only child.
I envy you.

annabellesmum Sat 20-Jul-13 10:00:04

Hi larose
We have been here 6 months and are settling in well. Our girls are happy here, but as ripsishere said, we don't often go to parks unless it's early morning...although having said that, it's quite a lot cooler here at the moment. We have a pool so the girls swim lots, and my older girl does a few after school activities - so usually by the time school has finished and we are home they just need some down time. We have decided to join the British Club as somewhere else to go at the weekend - fab pool, baby pool, playground and cafe. It's not cheap to join but we have been there a few times already with friends and spent the whole day there so it should be a good option for weekends/ school hols.
I take my youngest to a playgroup once a week and we also do swimming lessons...so there is a fair bit to do, and I have found people to be, in the main, extremely welcoming and it has been pretty easy to make friends.
Also, having help at home is a huge benefit - it means family time is spent doing fun things rather than chores
Feel free to PM me

annabellesmum Sun 21-Jul-13 14:06:43

Also, I would recommend getting hold of the Bangkok Guide, produced by the ANZ Women's group - it has tons of information, very detailed and helpful and a huge section on settling in. It has just been republished so the info is very up to date

Moise123 Wed 27-Nov-13 12:27:57

Hi, we are moving to Bangkok in feb 2014 and we like the look of Thonglor - Ekkamai. We have 2 kids under 3. Can anyone recommend a great complex for us to live with other expat families? Thanks

NickThorne Tue 12-Aug-14 12:49:53

As mentioned Bambi is definitely worth talking to before coming out. For a really quality school at a lower price take a look at British Early Years Centre. The owners are qualified teachers and they are really up to date with current trends. The school offers a 100% organic menu and uses allergen free cleaning products. www.beyc.co.th/fr/organic.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now