Where to live in Brussels?

(71 Posts)
anotheronetobrussels Thu 26-Apr-12 14:35:59

Hi all

I am a first time poster but long time lurker here.We are moving to Brussels over the summer. Thanks to lots of help from Natation I have secured places for my two girls at three different maternelles. One in Stockel (SC de Stockel)one in Auderghem (Blankedelle)and one in Watermael-Boisfort (L'Assomption,Jagersveld).Just wanted to ask all you Brussels mamas given the choice which area would you opt to live in?
The commute for my Dh to Wavre will be by car so not much in it distance wise.

Thanks in advance

chamonixlover Mon 15-Jul-13 18:34:23

PS on the subject of airplane noise, just found a leaflet from Brussels airport saying during the month of August, one of the 3 runways will be closed, which will mean increased traffic on the runway where Stockel is on the flightpath. So in August, you'll get plenty of chance to have the planes overhead - that runway is the usually the least used of the 3.

chamonixlover Fri 12-Jul-13 11:14:52

Plane noise is extremely personal, no-one can tell you how you might be affected by it, your only way of knowing is to wait for another day when planes are directly over Stockel (they were for most of last week, very unusually but back on the more used runway again) and spend the entire day next to your potential flat and see if it bothers you.

Think about however how prices are very high in the area, that show that for most people, it's a non issue.

Ballet Fri 12-Jul-13 10:20:47

we have not signed the contract as yet.we have just seen the flat and liked it.I want to make sure everything is okay befoe we sign contract.

chamonixlover Fri 12-Jul-13 09:42:18

It's unfortunately a bit late to ask about plane noise if you've signed a contract. Plane noise is very personal.
As for gas and electricity, yes you are liable for arranging this and all other utilities, it really isn't hard, just ask the landlord who the suppliers are, he/she has probably already got the sign-up sheets ready and you'll receive notifications through the post of confirmation of supply, then a few months later, your first bills.
And as you're in Flanders and not Brussels, no Brussels tax but you will receive a 25 euro bill for "old people's tax", you must pay this and actively ensure you have received the bill, it is your responsibility to know this tax exist and you receive the bill, failure to pay will lead to a large fine.
Good luck.

Ballet Fri 12-Jul-13 09:33:10

whta type of insurence I need to get for flat.I have been asked to contact any bank for this.
do you suggesy any particular bank for it.
and also for electricity and for gas?what Iam susposed to do to get all this in my name?

Ballet Fri 12-Jul-13 09:30:37

I chekced this house on Monday and it is gone.
www.immoweb.be/en/Rent.Estate.cfm?IdBien=4296135&xgallery=gallery&xpage=1

so we are moving in 2bhk flat in krainnem.we are not sure about aeroplane noise in stockel.is it manageble or really hellish on 2nd floor.
pls tell.

Ballet Fri 12-Jul-13 08:20:36

this quetsion is bit off track but it would be nice if I get any answer.I have never lived in Stockel and I have got flat on 3rd floor but I am not sure how it is going to be there on 3rd floor with noise of aeroplanes.
does somebody live there and in similar flat?please give me your feedback if it is okay or it is nightmare???

chamonixlover Wed 10-Jul-13 13:52:04

PS I did actually already say the tax was annual and the amount!

chamonixlover Wed 10-Jul-13 10:50:30

Ballet, this house is on the same street as the school, you'll never get a bargain like that so close and I'd say offer 1000 on it.
www.immoweb.be/en/Rent.Estate.cfm?IdBien=4296135&xgallery=gallery&xpage=1

Brussels region tax is about 100 euro a year.

Ballet Wed 10-Jul-13 09:33:08

what is Brussels Tax and is it monthly?

chamonixlover Thu 04-Jul-13 12:32:32

There are no standard charges, it depends on floors pace, insulation, how much you personally decided to use - water is wholly dependent on your personal use, fuel depends on how hot you decided to heat to.

If you are savvy, live in a 2 bedroom well insulated apartment of 100m2.

Annual
water 300 euro
gas and electricity 1500-2000 euro
TV/internet/phone cabled 700 euro
Brussels tax 100 euro

2600-3100 per year

Some of these might be included in charges for an apartment, such as the hot water element of gas / electricity. You need to look carefully at charges and have an exact breakdown, as charges can also includes maintenance of lifts, hallways, gardens.

Ballet Thu 04-Jul-13 11:27:15

we are looking for flat and this is first time we are going to rent it on our own.so far we have lived in service apartment that was paid by employer.
so I have no clue about extra charhes that comes every month.can anyone justt give an idea hw much electricity bill and heater bill should be coming and also telephone connection and internet and Tv bills.

aharker3 Fri 21-Jun-13 14:08:56

Hi there,

Looks like I might have a place at St Georges and I would just love it if anyone has children there who can give me a little feedback on it. I'm going over to meet the head in the next week.

Thanks

juneblues Wed 19-Jun-13 17:15:05

St Georges has a new website too, apart from the one linked.
ecolesaintgeorges.be/

so does ND de la Trinité
www.ecolendt.be/NDT.html

juneblues Wed 19-Jun-13 17:10:17

The contact numbers and websites are all on these maps.

Brussels region
https://batchgeo.com/map/1f1bf2b3b6e4ad41fe67c1a57d56a826

Wezembeek-Oppem and Kraainem schools
batchgeo.com/map/cede6049273e541514fd4c1c5dc4af9b

Try using google.be, you'll get links to all your schools that way.

aharker3 Wed 19-Jun-13 16:09:07

Anyone know a contact number for St George please? Actually a website would be helpful - It's the only school I can't find details of when I goggle! Ta

aharker3 Wed 19-Jun-13 16:01:09

Thanks everyone - all great to know. Will be back with a few more questions once school and house is sorted!!! you've been amazing! thanks.

juneblues Sun 16-Jun-13 12:01:05

We managed to negotiate out the annual rent increase on a rent of 1500 euro - the annual increases are set nationally and a few percent per year. It's called indexing and it's in a standard contract. Our house will probably be for rent soon, it's 4 beds in WSP. Most houses around us are over 1500 euro. Looking for a 2 bed at under 800 euro for us if able to stay at all.

rushingrachel Sun 16-Jun-13 09:11:58

I found it nearly impossible to negotiate on rent when we were looking in the lower rental bracket (1500 and under). There were queues of people at the door the day our current house went on the market and no way our landlord would have taken less than he asked. I am a lawyer and I do not mind negotiating but sometimes you have to know when you don't have any negotiating power! In the higher bracket where there is less interest and people are more picky I think there's more wiggle room. Just my impression.

juneblues Sat 15-Jun-13 21:49:31

Never ask the asking price unless you really want tthe place.

aharker3 Sat 15-Jun-13 21:43:44

Hi all, can you put in offers when renting or is asking price basically it? Just so I know! Thanks!

juneblues Fri 14-Jun-13 06:01:38

For St Georges, there is a geographical restriction of having to live in a "facility" commune, that means the school would ask you if you live in Kraainem or Wezembeek, you reply you are about to rent a house there.

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 21:59:51

So find a Maternelle place for your 2 yo. You can move later. No you don't need worry about your 7 month old just yet.

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 21:55:54

Those schools will be fine. If there is a place, grab it with both hands. Honest. I have been here 7 years and will aim to put my child into one of the Stockel schools next year in anticipation of secondary school places. If you don't like the school you can move later. In Brussels, you can move freely in Maternelle. Once you start Primaire you are not supposed to move mid cycle - so 1,2 or 3,4 or 5,6. They tend to stay with the same teacher for the cycle.

aharker3 Thu 13-Jun-13 21:24:50

I love the house on Rue Des Tulipes - looks a great size, nice garden and I'm gathering the area is good too - so thanks so much Juneblues I'll look into this. Another question (surprise surprise) does anyone know more about the schools in the area Juneblues mentioned? (école communale de Stockel, Sacré-Coeur de Stockel, St Georges.) I'm going to call tomorrow and then, if there are places, do I want to be making an appointment to go meet the head? I'm a little bit overwhelmed at the thought of this, because fundamentally aren't I choosing the school DD will stay at for the longhaul? Do I want to be trying to reserve a place for my 7 month old as well? Thanks a mill... when I get over I'll be having to buy you all a big round in appreciation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now