Living in Japan

(266 Posts)
mirai Fri 20-May-11 10:42:24

Hi all, not quite sure this has sunk in yet so excuse the exclamation marks! My DP has been offered a job in Japan and we are taking it! We will be going end July-mid August which isn't really very long at all. We'll be gone for at least a year but hopefully longer. I know there's so much we have to do, and organise, any tips or advice would be brilliant. Oh and one more thing we don't get to find out exactly where in Japan for another couple of weeks. I guess that just adds to the lunacy excitement.

I am a (quiet but prolific) regular but I have namechanged for good now as, well, it's a new chapter, innit! grin

TanteRogge Wed 01-Aug-12 06:22:46

actually, having looked at a timetable, its less than an hour from Odawara to Shizuoka on the Kodama Shink, so I would be more than willing to travel to Shizuoka station!

<getting excited>

mirai Wed 01-Aug-12 06:31:29

Ahhh, mais oui! I should think of one for myself torch

Having just googled those places, I'd like to vote for Atami please, I love being by the sea me! And if it's nice I can take DH there for a weekend, perhaps! I think it's a splendid plan Tante smile

Oh well re the shoes, to be honest even with the duty they will probably still be cheaper than ones bought here! I remember once when we first got here DP went shoe shopping, we thought the ones he was looking at were quite expensive... then we found out the prices displayed were per shoe, so they were actually double the amount on the price tag! It was a right shock I tell ya.

mirai Wed 01-Aug-12 06:32:39

Oooh Cross post! TBH Shizuoka station would be wonderful for me (and still three hours on the train lol).

mirai Wed 01-Aug-12 06:33:06

<so easily swayed>

mirai Thu 02-Aug-12 07:02:18

Still no shoes even though tracking says they're out for delivery sad I want some pretty things!

PlasticFlamingo Fri 03-Aug-12 08:11:46

Hello,

So did your shoes turn up? Are they fabulous? I wish I could wear fabulous shoes, but I fall over.

We are off camping around the 3rd week of August so it looks like I am only free on the 2nd Sept if we are talking weekends. I am starting a new job on the 1st!

Shizuoka is a great idea.

TanteRogge Sat 04-Aug-12 03:31:06

Shall we decide on Sept. 2nd?

Congrats on the new job, Plastic!

mirai Mon 06-Aug-12 05:35:31

Well, I waited in all day on Friday for the shoes, and nothing! Then DH came home with a big box, apparently the driver had tried my apartment and got no answer so took them to his school. hmm as I can guarantee no one rang the bell all day! Anyway yes both pairs are lovely (worth the 5500Y duty!) , and I also got a bag for our holiday next week, which I LOVE, so it all ended well.

Yes, let's do the 2nd! smile Do you know any other Japanese MNers that might be able to come along too or are they all quite far away from us?

Our little village had its matsuri at the weekend and a fantastic fireworks display, I was very impressed considering we are such a small remote place. Anyway lots of fun was had, we ended up downing sake & lime cordial cocktails while belting out some Oasis tracks with some of our neighbours, twas great! Had a very lazy day yesterday though!!

Plastic, congrats on the new job, what are you doing?

mirai Mon 20-Aug-12 02:30:57

Hi all, are we all busy with holidays? We've just come back from a great one... <sighs wistfully>

Do you think it's too late to arrange for the meetup now? smile

busynotbored Wed 22-Aug-12 10:18:30

sorry to gatecrash this read, was reading as I have a lovely japanese friend and would like to visit her someday, however the comment "snakes coming through cracks in door" has floored me !! I am petrified of snakes !! did they really come through ur door ??? shock

PlasticFlamingo Mon 27-Aug-12 08:25:31

Hi,

I'm just back from holidays too, we were camping in the wilds of Shizuoka and then on to Mie for a few days. It was great fun, unfortunately the car broke on the way back home, turned into a bit of an epic journey, we got back at midnight, bleurgh.

All fixed now but also no more money in the bank, so sorry I can't do a meet up this month.sad

My DS spotted a snake when we were camping and the huge spiders came and had baths with us. They didn't get in but watched from the side of the bath.

Where did you go Mirai?

Busynotbored there are a lot of snakes in the countryside, also frogs, lizards, gekkos and a huge number of enormous bugs. My kids are all experts at handling them, which is handy, as I am a total wimpgrin

TanteRose Tue 28-Aug-12 05:35:19

Hi all

Time really has just flown - every hot and humid day just blends into the next one grin

OK, so meet-up postponed - this weekend might have been difficult for me too, come to think of it

No worries, we can organise an autumn meet-up, when the weather gets a bit cooler.

I had a blast at Summer Sonic a couple of weekends ago - it was very hot, but we mums managed to stay cool, drinking beer high up in the stands of the Chiba Marines baseball stadium, while our daughters danced the day away near the main stage, where Gym Class Heroes, Pitbull, Kesha and Rihanna were performing.

Late afternoon, we went inside the Makuhari hall to watch Garbage, Tears for Fears and New Order. Total class!

Anyway, school starts next Monday, and my two are finishing up homework and revising for tests.

They say its not going to rain for another two weeks - eek! September heat is always the worst, as everyone is fed up with it.

Keep cool smile

Pennybubbly Thu 06-Sep-12 06:57:15

[.........rushes in late]

Did I miss anything? I've been back to the UK for 6 weeks over the summer, but am now firmly planted back in Tokyo and sadly, back at the office again....

I've just caught up with the last few messages (CONGRATS Mirai!!) and seen that a meet-up was organised?
Did I miss it sad

If not, can I join, can I join [needy]

Pennybubbly Thu 06-Sep-12 06:58:21

OK, just read your last message properly now Tante...
Yay! So are we doing an autumnal meet?!

TanteRose Thu 06-Sep-12 07:05:41

<waves madly at Penny> grin

how was the UK? bet the atmosphere with the Olympics was brill smile

we MUST have a meet-up in the autumn - I am sure there are other MNers in Japan, lurking...

Pennybubbly Fri 07-Sep-12 07:31:57

[waves madly back] grin
[feels popular]

England was fab. Lots of family around, lots of friends around smile. Even the weather was good (if you don't count the first couple of rainy weeks, which I don't). Didn't want to come back (I never do), but am now out of my post-England-I-hate-Japan blue period and am doing better.
Olympic fever was really REALLY good. Am not interested at all in sports but I actually ended up with a sore throat on more than one occasion from shouting "GO ON!" at random UK competitors. Also from Yorkshire and of course, we did FABulously [preens] in terms of Gold medal percentages.... wink

Yes yes to meet up.
You're Kawasaki right? Do you work Monday to Friday?
Weekends work best for me (or else it has to be school holidays)...

mirai Fri 14-Sep-12 09:20:07

Hello Penny! Yes YES to the autumnal meet! Weekends work best for me too. grin

The first couple of weeks back at school have really flown by. I would love to have a long snooze this weekend but we have two days of festivals ahead of us! What are everyone's plans, anything interesting?

PlasticFlamingo, did you get my PM? I had a feeling that you might have headed towards my 'neck of the woods' on your holidays, it would have been funny if we were so near and yet so far!

Tante, hello, your sumer festivals sounded good. We have decided we definitely want to go to one next year - I have been to Glastonbury a couple of times and really miss it; I have a feeling Japanese music festivals may be mud-free occurrences but even so! smile

mirai Sun 30-Sep-12 07:53:44

Looks like the typhoon is about to hit land; stay safe everyone smile

PlasticFlamingo Mon 01-Oct-12 04:29:57

I hope everyone is ok after the typhoon, it wasn't too bad here, I think it had downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reached Kanto. Very sunny today.

Mirai we went to somewhere north of Hamamatsu, it was totally in the middle of nowhere. Really nice and relaxing, we spent the days splashing in the river and catching tadpoles.smile

TanteRose Mon 03-Dec-12 05:22:18

thought I would revive this thread smile

everyone OK?

bloody freezing here in Shonan - and its going to rain later too sad

we are staying in Japan for Christmas (DD has high school entrance exams in February so its juku all the way through the holidays...)

who knows, if its this cold now, maybe we'll have a white Christmas (never happened in the 21 years I have lived here, but you never know grin)

TanteRose Fri 07-Dec-12 09:42:24

Everyone OK? It was a Magnitude 7 and poor old Tohoku is under tsunami warnings again

All fine in Kanagawa - not too bad but loooonnggg!

I'm off out for evening - a couple of earthquakes, tsunami warning and cold weather can't stop this gaijin from hitting the town grin

Kampai!!

mirai Fri 07-Dec-12 09:46:27

Hi Tante, I didn't see your 3rd December post but I just came on here to write a message! Glad you are ok. Was just a faint tremble here but didn't it go on for a long time? I so hope everyone up north is ok.

We have a very busy weekend ahead full of Christmas shopping and kampai-ing, so hope you have a good night! Might make some mulled wine now! grin

TanteRose Mon 31-Dec-12 15:13:17

Happy New Year to all MNers in Japan!! Here's hoping 2013 brings fun and happiness to Japan :-)

exexpat Mon 31-Dec-12 15:24:02

Akemashite omedetou! I'm not in Japan any more, but lots of people I follow on Twitter have been tweeting all through kouhaku, so I almost feel I was there for all the NYE stuff...

Hope it's a good, safe, uneventful year in Japan.

mirai Tue 08-Jan-13 03:06:25

Happy new year all! I am really suffering this week. We went away for Christmas and then decided to come home the day before we started work again. Bad idea, the jet lag is keeping us up all night and soooo tired in the day. I really want to start BIWI's low carb Bootcamp but right now I can't even think straight let alone be regimented in what I'm eating! And we still have lots of Christmas goodies left over smile

How was your Christmas Tante and Plastic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now