Living in Japan

(266 Posts)
mirai Fri 20-May-11 10:42:24

Hi all, not quite sure this has sunk in yet so excuse the exclamation marks! My DP has been offered a job in Japan and we are taking it! We will be going end July-mid August which isn't really very long at all. We'll be gone for at least a year but hopefully longer. I know there's so much we have to do, and organise, any tips or advice would be brilliant. Oh and one more thing we don't get to find out exactly where in Japan for another couple of weeks. I guess that just adds to the lunacy excitement.

I am a (quiet but prolific) regular but I have namechanged for good now as, well, it's a new chapter, innit! grin

mirai Fri 02-Aug-13 10:17:19

Let's enkai! wine

Who's up for a meet in August??

Hooya Sun 04-Aug-13 11:42:36

Hello everyone, thought I'd say hi after mirai kindly reminded me about this thread!

I've been very busy as I'm now 34 weeks pregnant grin and finishing work in 3 weeks so just working like a crazy person and sweltering in the Tokyo summer!

Went to Shimoda for the last couple of days and so amused at Japanese beach behaviour! They are so prepared, everyone rocks up with a tent to protect them from the sun, several camp chairs, a massive cool box full of drinks, huge picnic, etc etc smile

Sorry I can't help re mobile phone contracts, I only just finally got one 6 months ago having lived here a couple years!

I'd be up for a meetup subject to timings with work and babyHooya!

mirai Sat 31-Aug-13 06:35:15

Ahhh the end of the summer holidays, how quickly then went! I am looking forward to some cooler weather though, without a doubt.

Tante, you must be back from the uk now, how was it, did you have fun?

Hooya hello, you must have just finished work now, congratulations! I know what you mean about the rganised fun, we went to a music festival a few weeks ago, NOTHING LIKE UK festivals, everything was so organised it took the fun out of it a little bit. Still had a good time though smile

mirai Mon 09-Sep-13 02:47:53

Hmm does anyone know how to read my smear test results? I tried sending them to the organisation that helped me book the smear in the first place but they said they are not able/allowed to translate the results as that`s classed as giving a diagnosis which can only be done by a physician hmm . There are six boxes and five end with `nashi` which I`m guessing is good, but we can`t work out the kanji for the other one. Any tips? smile

mirai Fri 13-Sep-13 07:00:48

Smear test resulted translated and all is good.

Today I just feel so lonely. If DH said "let's go back home" today, I would say yes. :'(

wispaxmas Sat 14-Sep-13 17:23:39

I know the question was asked ages ago, but I lived in Japan from 2008-2010 and apparently had a contract for a USB Internet stick, even though I had though it was 18 months, apparently it was automatically extended at the end because I ticked some sort of box. Anyways, there were a few months outstanding and they tried to charge it to my expired credit card, and I had to dispute it. I disputed it with the credit card company and the charges were cancelled because the company couldn't prove they should have been charging me, as I had written to them to cancel the damn thing.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I don't think it can effect you legally when returning to Japan!

(Sorry to pop in like this, but also I want to say that I completely understand the loneliness, mirai. Being a foreigner in a place like Japan can be very difficult, and sometimes even with all the support of a tightly knit expat community you just want to go home. It's why I went back to Canada in 2010!)

mirai Sun 22-Sep-13 01:19:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mirai Tue 15-Oct-13 06:03:18

So the typhoon is on its way! Effects already being felt here, I was able to petition to leave work early and rather surprisingly succeeded! However they are positive the school is going to be open and running tomorrow; though I'm not sure the same will be said for our local train line! Oh well, will have to wait and see.

Hope you all take care of yourselves, my advice is to stock up on some biscuits and hot chocolate! (today was the first day I felt cold getting out of the shower!)

mirai Fri 20-Dec-13 02:03:49

Hello hello, I wonder if anyone is still reading? And if our expecting cohort have now safely had their DCs?

I wondered if anyone could advise on wedding etiquette. We have been invited to a colleague's wedding and had spent around £60 on a gift (plus of course the usual expense of hotels and travel etc).

Anyway DH's other colleague came up to him yesterday and told him we actually have to give money, around 60,000 yen, anything less would rude.

We are astonished!!! That's around £370 and quite apart from not actually having that kind of money to spare, was the colleague telling the truth? I thought our gift would be more than adequate but now we are panicking.

Help!!

caramelwaffle Fri 20-Dec-13 02:28:14

Hello Mirai
Apologies. Am not in Japan, am in Uk.

£370 sounds like a lot in any culture!

mirai Fri 20-Dec-13 02:49:14

Hi caramel wow it must be early there now!

Yes, it is a huge expense and I really don't know what to do. Apparently the tradition is that the bride and groom only take half your money and spend the other half on a gift which they then give back to you. I don't want to give someone nearly £200 to buy me a random present!

I just don't know whether to stick with the present as originally planned (and blame our foreignness for not knowing the culture), or what. DH is now saying not giving the money will cause a bad feeling in the office and his contract may not be renewed. He does like to catastrophically hmm grin

mirai Fri 20-Dec-13 02:50:18

Catastrophise!!!! I hate this bloody phone.

caramelwaffle Fri 20-Dec-13 23:09:22

Hello again.
Have you decided what to do?

TanteRose Tue 11-Mar-14 05:46:05

[[http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/9131914/Japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-anniversary-30-powerful-images-of-the-disaster.html Three years ago today, this hour, devastation struck the coast of north east Japan.

15,884 people lost their lives, and three years later, 2636 people are still unaccounted for, their bodies still not returned to their families.

there are also still 270,000 evacuees, who cannot return to their homes, and workers are still battling to keep the Fukushima nuclear reactor under control.

The suffering continues
www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/children-of-fukushima-battle-an-invisible-enemy

Thinking about all those who lost their lives...and all those who continue bravely with their lives even under the most trying circumstances.

Never forgotten.

TanteRose Tue 11-Mar-14 05:48:49
TanteRose Tue 11-Mar-14 14:16:13

Remembering 3.11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now