Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

3rd close family member in 3 years diagnosed with cancer

(3 Posts)
Mumblechum1 Mon 01-Feb-16 15:39:44

My nephew died of a brain tumour 3 years ago at the age of 31. Then my mum died last October having been ill with kidney/bladder cancer for 2 years.

My sister, aged 57 was diagnosed last week with stage 3 womb cancer which has spread to the lymph nodes. Now it looks as though it may also be in her bowel which I think makes it stage 4.

I'm feeling a bit flattened by all this tbh. No one's told my poor dad yet; losing his wife of 58 years 3 months ago is bad enough and he's just managing to cope. If/when he's told one of his only 2 children is almost certainly terminally ill I don't know how he'll manage. And her daughter and granddaughter will be devastated. Her daughter's lost her brother 3 years ago to whom she was very close, same with her gran (my mum), I don't know how she's going to manage if she loses her mum on top of everything.

Not sure why I'm posting really, just trying to keep a brave face on for everyone else and feeling a bit wiped out by it all.

Procrastinatingpeacock Mon 01-Feb-16 19:44:13

That is more than any family should have to deal with - my heart goes out to you all. Not much to say except I hope your sister's diagnosis is not as bad as feared, and if it is then (as you will know) even incurable cancers can be kept under control for a long time.

I think one of the hardest things to cope with when a loved one is very ill is watching the effect it has on others that we love as well.

Mumblechum1 Mon 01-Feb-16 21:08:36

Thanks for your kind words PP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now