Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Huge cyst on spleen, perforated bowel colon cancer and diabetic

(16 Posts)
Oliversmumsarmy Wed 20-Jan-16 03:56:43

Dp is in hospital, he was sent straight from the doctors on Monday morning. He had a CT scan there which revealed a perforated bowel, a huge cyst on his spleen and a cancer mass on the left hand side of what they think is his colon., they can't really see where it begins and ends because of the cyst getting in the way. He had an operation today to relieve the pressure on his left hand side, they rerouted his colon into a colostomy bag. Later he was taken to have a drain put in the cyst as it was so huge they couldn't , I presume, get to the mass because the cyst is blocking everything. Apparently the cyst was within 48 hours of bursting. Dp is also diabetic and has lost, in the past 6 weeks, over 4 stones in weight.

We are really worried as to what is happening and having googled what they say is wrong nothing comes up with what influence the cyst, the perforated bowel, the cancer, the huge weight loss and his diabetes have on his prognosis.

Has anyone been through anything like this and is there anything we can do to help him or questions we should be asking. Dp is in his late 50s and his DF died of bowel cancer when he was 80.

So worried for him he looks so frail.

crabb Wed 20-Jan-16 04:35:24

Oh Olivers, that sounds very worrying. How difficult for you. I have no knowledge but just wanted to respond. I don't think Dr Google is going to be helpful, but totally understand your need for information. It all sounds very complex and probably only will unravel with time. Do you have friends and family with you? How hard to see your lovely DH like this. flowers to you, and I'm around (in Oz) if you want to talk.

Devilishpyjamas Wed 20-Jan-16 05:14:31

Do you have a meeting scheduled with his doctors? It sounds very traumatic to have suddenly discovered that. xx

BigFluffyHair Wed 20-Jan-16 05:26:32

Hi, I didn't want to read and run.

Last year my DH had his large intestine removed as it had died through complications of Ulcerative Colitis. he had also lost four stone in four weeks and now has an ileostomy bag. He said immediately afterwards how he didn't feel sick anymore because he wasn't being poisoned. I didn't realise how grey he had been, he picked right up after surgery!

Your post mentions a cancer mass? Have they definitely confirmed cancer? I know it's difficult but try to be optimistic. The body creates lumps and bumps in response to injury and illness. It may well be one of those.

My DH has put two stone back on, within about six weeks I think and has now settled at that weight. Probably because of the restrictions of the bag on food intake. Plus he's at the gym three times a week. he's in his late 30s.

The dietitians are wonderful and will be able to factor his diabetes into his diet. Is it type 1 or 2? I had gestational diabetes with insulin so have some experience of diabetes.

Keep your chin up. They caught it in time and he's in the best place x

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 20-Jan-16 08:55:55

Yes definitely cancer. When we left him the night before I thought they were going in to remove the cancer. We didn't get to see him before he was taken down for surgery the following morning. The surgeon did say to dp what they were doing before he went under. we (myself and 2 dc) arrived 10mins too late to see him before he went down so didn't find out about what was going to happen in the surgery until he had come round later in the afternoon.
It took me chasing a doctor and asking him about dh being prescribed antibiotics for his infection from the perforated bowel before they even told dh that he was going for surgery in the morning.

We are a tiny family just me dp and 2 dc. Dp has a dm who is in her 90s who we haven't seen for years as she lives 300 miles away and dp although he speaks to her weekly we never visit. He also has another relative who lives miles away who he calls regularly but again rarely sees. I have no one.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 20-Jan-16 09:29:13

I think it is the not knowing and not understanding what is happening and not knowing what the outcome is. Dp said the surgeon wanted him to have chemo but the way he understood it there was no mention of further surgery to remove the mass. I feel unless I hijack a doctor no one explains anything. Yesterday dp went through the operation, which he thought had removed the cyst also but when he came to it was still there. Hours later nurses suddenly came to take him to get a drain put in.
Dp is very frightened and the not knowing is making things worse. Dp is one of those practical people who likes to know what the problem is so he can fix it.

canyou Wed 20-Jan-16 09:40:03

flowers Not knowing is the worst and often they seem to forget that patients and family cannot read minds and need to be told what is happening in english.
Can you get into the hosp today at rounds time and ask the Dr to explain what is happening? If not ask the ward sister to point you in the right direction to get that info. He may be starting chemo to reduce the size of the mass? Is it possible that the op was for a biopsy, surely that is the only way the know if it is benign or cancer?
I hope you get some actual facts soon and that it is better news then you think

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 20-Jan-16 13:51:40

Latest news is they will not operate on the cancer part until Monday at theach earliest
They are waiting for the cyst to go down before doing another ct scan
It is not helped by the fact his boss texted him last time he was in hospital with drips coming out of each arm "Have a good rest"
This time from our understanding during the conversation he had, he is sure they are looking for his replacement.
Stress like that he doesn't need. He is a Complete workaholic and to lose his job would not be good. Knowing he has his job to go back to will be the one thing that will keep him going.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 21-Jan-16 08:48:02

It looks like the cancer has spread and they are not going to operate. We will know more later today.

Think we are all really angry as in November he was in hospital for 4 days complaining of the same symptoms, his blood sugar levels had gone through the roof and he had ketones which they got under control and they brushed him off saying his stomach pain and constipation would get better on it's own. They were so quick to get him out of the bed. He has seen a stream of doctors every few days since before Christmas who have just prescribed laxatives. One doctor even felt his stomach in the area that hurt and had a bulge and he said he didn't think he had a hernia. It has left us wondering if he had been diagnosed then would the outcome have been different.

I had a thread about how unlucky our family is. How random left field events occur, how I get parking tickets from other European countries and police and DVLA saying I own the car so should pay the fine and other random stuff that takes hours and hours of time to sort out. A lot of posters said I should look on the bright side of life and better things would happen. I tried really hard but in the 20 days of January we have had, my fish has died, my car broke down and I was told it is on it's last legs, my dd who is a singer and has been trying to audition for music colleges developed Quincy and has been unable to sing since and dp has been given the worst possible prognosis. Unfortunately the bright side of life is evading us at this time.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Thu 21-Jan-16 08:54:19

That sounds v upsetting, hopefully this afternoon will bring more clarity and maybe even better news. I know it's difficult but it would be a better use of your energies to focus on the situation you are in now, rather than what might have been. You can look into that later if you want to.
What a rough time though, wish I could give you a hug flowers

FuckyNell Thu 21-Jan-16 23:16:59

Bloody hello that's rough. Hope this afternoon bought better understanding. Thinking of you flowers

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Fri 22-Jan-16 18:59:26

How are things today Oliver?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 22-Jan-16 19:23:05

Oh, I am so incredibly sorry flowers.

My DM died of bowel cancer 3.5 years ago and we also had a lack of communication between mum & the hospital. For example, when the cancer came back for the second & last time, she had been on the ward for 10 days before she was told the result of the scans she had on admission. The scans showed a large secondary tumour on her liver. Not an insignificant piece of news, but not one the Drs thought worthy of passing on nonetheless!

What really helped us, communication wise, was the involvement of a Macmillan Nurse. She was based in the hospital & came to chat to mum every day. If mum said she was confused about what was happening or hadn't received test results etc., the Macmillan Nurse would go and find out & come straight back to her. She was marvellous. She also listened to mum just talk about everything & anything I think! All of her fears & worries and basically how scared she was to die. I've no idea how, but the Macmillan Nurse even had mum laughing when I arrived one day! Something of a miracle smile.

I would recommend contacting either the Oncology Department in your hospital (which was where the M Nurses were based) or Macmillan directly to see what support they could offer you. They also offer support to spouses/close family, although we chose not to take any for ourselves.

I hope your DH is as comfortable as he can be today.

Oliversmumsarmy Fri 22-Jan-16 23:08:10

Dp is actually looking a lot better. He had a shower which I think made him feel a lot better. The Macmillan nurse has been round and she is popping in to him each day. There is to be a discussion as to a plan of treatment on Monday now. He was told the chemo he will be receiving means he will not lose his hair which for him was a relief. He is still very swollen and sore and the cyst is still draining.

His worry at the moment is his bag and how to empty it.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sat 23-Jan-16 00:00:17

Glad to hear you sound a bit perkier Oliver, and hope Monday's meeting goes well flowers

crabb Tue 09-Feb-16 05:24:52

Been thinking about you and your DH, Olivers. How are things going now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now