Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

A 'goodluck and I'm thinking of you' present for a friend embarking on chemo

(18 Posts)
Finbar Sun 10-Jan-16 12:29:37

Dear wise Mnetters on this thread. I have read your brave and uplifting posts and wondered if I could call on your experience to help me find a gift for my friend.
We don't live near to each other and I'd like to send her something to tell her i'm thinking of her as she embarks on chemo following her double mastectomy.
I think that flowers may say the wrong thing, and I wondered about some yummy biscuits or cakes, but then thought she might not feel like eating.
What do you think?
thank you

RealHuman Sun 10-Jan-16 12:31:14

What's your budget? If she has a smartphone you could get her an Audible subscription? Chemo is boring as well as horrible.

mamaneedsamojito Sun 10-Jan-16 12:31:55

How about a couple of good books and some nice bed socks? That way if she's feeling low / lacking energy she can lounge in bed and escape into a story. I know my cousin does this to deal with her chronic back pain.

feetheart Sun 10-Jan-16 12:33:21

Sadly watching with interest as I have a friend starting chemo tomorrow.

Stuffofawesome Sun 10-Jan-16 12:35:59

Good ideas here www.notanotherbunchofflowers.com/?gclid=CJyu3cygn8oCFYU_Gwodnw8N5w
chemo can affect the skin so if going for hand cream or something get one that is as natural as possible.

Stuffofawesome Sun 10-Jan-16 12:37:18

This one too www.beautydespitecancer.co.uk/

CMOTDibbler Sun 10-Jan-16 12:40:06

If you can try and send smaller things over the course of her chemo, rather than just one thing at the start - generally people do things to begin with and then it drops off when things are getting really tough and boring. Little things like nice lip balm, good hand cream, fluffy socks, puzzle books, pretty scarves, a funny postcard, sharp tasting sweets are all good presents.

louisaglasson Sun 10-Jan-16 12:50:40

I havent had chemo yet but all sorts of other interventions for cancer. I actually love getting flowers. I do a lot of sitting and I enjoy having them in the room and they lift me. Especially this time of year when I can't go and sit in the garden.

The tablet stand that stuffofawesome linked to I would LOVE. In fact I might order one in a minute!

Lipbalm is something I always have with me for hospital trips and stays.

Finbar Sun 10-Jan-16 12:56:44

This is brilliant thank you!
I'm going to look at all the suggestions, and the idea of timing them over the course of the chemo is really helpful.

madmotherof2 Sun 10-Jan-16 13:03:42

Do you think she'd like colouring books and nice pencils?

I've not been through chemo myself but my youngest is currently

Lip balm and hand cream would be nice too. Hospital air is very warm and dry!

Nice dressing gown?

Nice weekend/ hospital bag.

Hope all goes well for your friend xx

RosalitaJumpALittleHigher Sun 10-Jan-16 13:05:30

I put a little gift bag of things together for a friend having chemo - lip balm, hand cream, scented candle and a book.

SandwichYum Sun 10-Jan-16 13:06:20

I've just started chemo and spend a lot of time on the sofa curled up under a blanket. So I would suggest a lovely soft blanket and warm socks. Food is quite difficult as appetite and taste may be affected, I don't have a sweet tooth at all but am finding sweets or chocolate palatable.

madmotherof2 Sun 10-Jan-16 13:07:31

Back again!

A candle? Nice bubble bath ( although if she has a line in she may be restricted on baths?)

Lipstick? Nice hair brush?

Blanket? Comfy pillow?

Finbar Sun 10-Jan-16 13:09:23

I like the idea of a comfy blanket too.
Thank you for sharing your experiences

Newlywed56 Sun 10-Jan-16 13:11:58

I got my person a lovely bright avoca blanket.. Very expensive but in my eyes it was the best money I ever spent. She loved it flowers

tribpot Sun 10-Jan-16 13:14:57

If you're on the lookout for socks can I suggest the West Yorkshire Spinners country birds collection? This is yarn designed and named after famous British birds, but you can buy them made up into cosy socks as well. Love these colours.

Stuffofawesome Sun 10-Jan-16 14:03:55

Maybe these too www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Lollies-Queasy-Drops-Pieces/dp/B003IUGJ90

Stuffofawesome Sun 10-Jan-16 14:06:11

I've known people to love a fluffy electric heated over blanket too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now