Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Lung cancer - post chemo (way tmi imo but I had to ask)

(12 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 06-Jul-14 13:47:24

My dad had chemo on Tuesday for small cell lung cancer

He is coughing up bloody mucus, clots & goo (< that's a technical medical descriptionhmm)

He thinks it is the tumour breaking down - is this likely?

Funkytown Sun 06-Jul-14 13:49:34

My mum had his unfortunately lost her battle I don't think that the mucus and blood is a sign of it breaking down, I do remember my mother having quiet a lot of this so maybe it's something that comes with it
Maybe best to have a chat with his doctor ?

KatyMac Sun 06-Jul-14 13:55:43

Yes - but it's Sunday & he doesn't want to disturb anyone

Sorry about your mum

Lovethesea Sun 06-Jul-14 14:48:31

Macmillan have a lot of information on their website. Macmillan.org.uk and then look up cancer information and you can choose lung cancer for specifics x

WeAllHaveWings Sun 06-Jul-14 14:55:46

When my mum and dad have had chemo/dialysis/other treatments they usually leave hospital with leaflets and information on symptoms/side affects of treatment etc and what they can expect. If these symptoms are not in the information given I'd phone NHS 24 for advice.

KatyMac Sun 06-Jul-14 15:06:00

I've pulled rank & phoned the emergency helpline

I'm waiting for them to ring back

KatyMac Sun 06-Jul-14 17:07:49

Apparently they aren't too worried as long as his temperature doesn't go up - he must see the GP tomorrow as an urgent appointment

Funkytown Wed 09-Jul-14 19:14:23

That's good to hear and I hope all is well

BrokenDownstairs Wed 09-Jul-14 19:16:31

Keep an eye on his temperature as others have said, if that goes up call the unit asap

KatyMac Wed 09-Jul-14 20:47:19

Thanks guys

I do try to keep track of it

nicename Wed 09-Jul-14 20:52:02

The best thermometers are the ones you pop in your ear.

Hope the chemo goes well and he gets his strength up.

KatyMac Wed 09-Jul-14 21:00:19

He is eating much better too (that'll be the steroids I think - but they are finished now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now