Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

where do you go for help? Glioblastoma

(5 Posts)
guitarosauras Tue 17-Jun-14 10:53:08

A family member has been told that she has a glioblastoma. she's having radiotherapy although it's purely pallitive.

where do we get help for things such as a commode, bed rails, financial advice such as carers support for her dp etc? we brought a wheel chair but her mobility is getting worse daily.

everyone is saying it's someone elses job!

UKsounding Wed 18-Jun-14 05:15:58

The Occupational Therapists at your family members hospital should be able to help with the commode and bed rails surely... Social workers are available to help with financial issues at the hospital I receive cancer treatment at...

Her GP should be able to organise a hospice nurse to set up a hospice at home type arrangement which would cover all of that. Or ring the hospice directly if you have already been referred there for palliative care.

The GP in our area, and a few other areas I know about is responsible for co-ordinating out of hospital care. Our GP arranged the forms for carers allowance and DLA.

For temporary access to equipment look up the red cross in your area www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Health-and-social-care/Independent-living/Mobility-aids . They lend a great deal of equipment and also you can buy some things from them BUT all of it should be provided by the hospice/GP.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 22-Jun-14 17:03:06

The hospice organised everything for my husband to come home. We had so much equipment. Same illness sadly. Social work should help too. I also got financial advice from the Hospice too. It was Marie Curie. Also MacMillan cancer care have a financial help bit.

guitarosauras Mon 23-Jun-14 16:40:43

Thankyou.

Thankfully SW and OT came last friday and MacMillan due today.

Silly things like the commode have already made a huge difference in just a few days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now