Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Ten years on chemo, worried and anxious

(10 Posts)

Dh has been on chemotherapy for coming up to ten years now. He has a couple of blood disorders and a rogue gene that makes him more susceptible to lymphoma and leukaemia and the chemo is used to keep them at bay.
Dh hasn't been well for six months now although nothing was showing in his blood results and symptoms were more of a nuisance rather than anything I suppose you'd call serious
For the last month he has had pain first in his thigh and now in his upper arm, night sweats, extreme fatigue and now in the last ten days a suspicious lump above the elbow crease that is growing daily it's about 10x4cms today.
He finally went to the GP today who is very concerned and has sent off an armful of bloods. Dh has his head firmly in the sand because 6 weeks ago his bloods were ok but I saw the Doctor's face and she warned that it was likely she would need to see him before the appointment she booked for in a fortnight.
I feel really anxious and have a really bad feeling this time that I haven't had before. I don't know how I'll keep calm but I don't want to worry dh when for now there's nothing concrete to worry about.

lalamumto3 Mon 02-Dec-13 20:21:25

Offering a hand to hold. I can't offer any advice, but wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you.

Xx

FuckyNell Tue 10-Dec-13 22:17:59

Hi op how did the doctors go?

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Tue 10-Dec-13 22:23:52

Any news?

"Inconsistencies" in first blood tests so recalled to repeat. GP explained could be insufficient sample or blood had clotted or a mix up in the lab. Second lot of blood taken Thursday and on Friday we got the call that GP needs to see dh on Monday as she doesn't work Friday.
Of course I'm now paranoid that first sample showed something horrendous and second sample confirmed it but anyway at least on Monday we should have some sort of progress forward.

Incapinka Sun 15-Dec-13 06:46:45

Will be thinking of you both tomorrow x

Gwithianrocks Sun 15-Dec-13 06:59:53

Hi Insanity.... Sorry to hear you are going through such a worrying time. I read your post with recognition as my Dad suffers from something which sounds very similar and I understand the feeling of dread when symptoms suddenly change and the normal treatments don't seem so effective. Seems worse too when the illness isn't something people generally know about as there is no shorthand explanation of how things are going or what the prognosis is. Hang in there, will be thinking of you tomorrow

MrsShrek3 Sun 15-Dec-13 08:29:39

hugs for tomorrow. hope your fears aren't confirmed.
(and if they are, we're here and at all hours of day and night. fwiw I think if they say they effed up the blood tests, thats just what they did, it is no sign of anything else. dh's lymphoma was dx in a single set, as you know) so sorry you and dh have been on this shitty path for so long thanks

MrsShrek3 Tue 17-Dec-13 18:06:34

just wandered in to see how you're doing?

ShrekTheHalls Sun 22-Dec-13 01:43:22

insanity thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now