Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Sjogren's Syndrome

(12 Posts)
littlemim Sun 13-Oct-13 21:29:24

Hi,

I'm a 37 year old woman and was diagnoised with Primary Sjogren's Syndrome in my early 20s. It didn't cause much of a problem back then except a bit of a dry mouth and persistant, recuring anaemia, but is having more and more of an impact on my life now with vasculitis flares, nerve damage in my leg, and cronic fatigue.

I was just wondering if there were any other Sjogren suffers out there?

LM

justmuddlingalongsomehow Sun 13-Oct-13 21:31:20

NO advice but wondering if this is the condition that Venus Williams has been diagnosed with? Hope her case raises the profile a bit for all sufferers.

Weegiemum Sun 13-Oct-13 21:35:57

I don't have Sjogrens, but I was tested for it, it was top of my consultants list (after Ovarian Cancer shock ), I eventually got diagnosed with an inflammatory polyneuropathy (CIDP), many of the symptoms are the same - nerve damage, numbness, and the crushing fatigue. I also have a permanently numb spot on my lip from the salivary biopsy for Sjogrens.

Hopefully sooner or later someone will turn up who has it - I was tested partly because my grandma had it. These rare, weird syndromes fairly regularly seem to pop up on here. I was diagnosed 18 months ago age 41.

littlemim Tue 15-Oct-13 07:33:24

Hi justmuddlingalong and Weegiemum,

Thanks for replying. I don't know anyone else with Sjogren's and it would just be nice to have someone to moan with. :-)

LM

TiredDog Tue 15-Oct-13 07:38:35

Littlemim how about this site here. Apologies if you already know about it. Sorry you are struggling with this and hope you get some support

littlemim Tue 15-Oct-13 22:31:14

Hi TiredDog,

Thanks for your message. I have looked at the BSSA site before but without coughing up to become a member, there's not a lot to see.

LM x

Weegiemum Fri 18-Oct-13 01:12:01

Hi again.

Meant to say in my last message they've not ruled Sjogrens out completely. As I said my Grandma (now 92) has it - she uses artificial tears and saliva, and has for 20-30 years. My biopsy was "undefined" and they plan to do it again in 5 years - I am at the very lowest tear level to be allowed to keep wearing my contact lenses and only realised when they mentioned it that my dry mouth (that I always blamed on my antidepressants) was still bothering me 2 years after they stopped! One of the biggest issues that has them still querying Sjogrens is my peri-oral numbness - the lower half of my face is often numb, meaning I can't play my clarinet and sometimes my tongue is affected and my speech is poor.

For now we're living with the CIDP diagnosis - it's Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy - lots of fancy words for "you can't feel your feet and you fall over if you shut your eyes".

I don't know where you are - we're in Glasgow and I get a fabulous service from neurology/neuroscience at the Southern General in Glasgow. Plus my IVIg treatment. If you're anywhere in Central Scotland I'd be happy to meet up.

Take care, I hope you find someone to talk to. CIDP gets diagnosed about 50 times a year in the uk - very rare! I've only met others really on a support website on facebook - is there anything like that for Sjogrens. If not you'd be very welcome on the GBSSG-UK - it's for Guillan Barre syndrome and the chronic version (that's the CIDP I have) but there are others with different neuro conditions.

littlemim Fri 18-Oct-13 08:04:06

I don't really suffer with my eye, but my mouth can get quite sticky (rather than dry). I'm constantly anaemic and fatigued, and I suffer from vasculitis.

I'm smiling reading your post because I play the clarinet too, or used to. It's in the house somewhere, but I'm not sure when I last played it.

Unfortunately I couldn't be much further away from you as I live in Wiltshire. There's the BSSA (British Sjogren's Syndrome Association) but you have to pay £25 a year membership before you get access to the message boards.

LM x

ruberpapilio Sat 19-Oct-13 22:19:10

I have Sjogrens secondary to systemic lupus, so apart from the dry eyes, mouth etc which are definitely the Sjogrens, its difficult for me to distinguish which of my symptoms are caused by which disease, so I'm probably not the best person to help you... But the BSSA has a Facebook page you can join and ask fellow sufferers questions etc which can be quite useful (and it's free! smile ) Forums for illnesses can amazing support but can also be a bit frightening and depressing, try to stay positive smile
HTH x

littlemim Sun 20-Oct-13 08:29:29

Thanks RP. I'll have a look on Facebook.

Hope your feeling ok at present.

LM xxx

HopefulMum111 Thu 03-Jul-14 15:10:49

Hi littlemim

I know you posted this a while ago, but I have Sjogren's and am a similar age. Feel free to message me if you ever want a moan about it.

Hope you are ok and not suffering too much at the moment. smile

thegiraffewiththepurplescarf Sun 28-Sep-14 00:11:08

I know this is an old thread but just been diagnosed with sjogrens. I'm 37 and had the main symptoms of joint pain and fatigue for the last 4 years. Started getting the dry eyes and mouth last year.

Just started on hydroxychloriquine. If it gets rid of the fatigue I will be happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now