Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Chemo cap question

(10 Posts)
woollyideas Thu 03-Oct-13 13:54:10

I hope this is the right place to post this. A friend of mine is just about to embark on chemotherapy and I want to knit her a couple of chemo caps. I would like to use very luxurious yarns like cashmere and alpaca, but wondered whether sensitivity is an issue following chemotherapy. Is the scalp sensitive during this treatment? Sorry for my ignorance, I really don't know whether the chemo affects people's skin sensitivity.

bigbrick Thu 03-Oct-13 14:01:24

That's a lovely thing to be doing for your friend. I would call up the chemo nurses at the hospital and ask them based on the drugs your friend will get.

woollyideas Thu 03-Oct-13 14:27:12

Thanks for replying bigbrick, but would they divulge that sort of information? Are the drugs 'bespoke' for each patient? Sorry to be so unknowledgeable!

mistlethrush Thu 03-Oct-13 14:29:50

Woolly - yes, I think sensitivity is an issue - I would be aiming for either silk or soft cotton or a combination of the two. If you wanted to do a hat that was wool, could it be lined with a cotton or silk 'inner'?

Lilymaid Thu 03-Oct-13 14:32:55

Ask over on the Tamoxifen thread (we are all very nice when not nauseous!)
I'm in the middle of chemo and my scalp isn't very sensitive. However, I've only worn Buffs and their equivalent or a wig.
Wigs are lined with a mesh of synthetic (and mine has some plastic film at the front) so I don't think sensitivity is normally an issue.

woollyideas Thu 03-Oct-13 21:28:47

I will go over to the Tamoxifen thread. Thanks for the advice, Lily.
Mistle - I could just as well use a silk or soft cotton, but they don't have the same stretch or drape. I will certainly consider it though.

mrsannekins Thu 03-Oct-13 21:31:58

I don't know the answer but just wanted to say what a wonderful friend you are x

woollyideas Thu 03-Oct-13 21:41:57

Thanks, Mrsannekins. x

Footle Mon 07-Oct-13 23:43:17

You could have a look on Ravelry at chemo cap patterns and yarn suggestions.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 07-Oct-13 23:54:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now