Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Has anyone got any positive cancer survival stories?

(9 Posts)
Pidgeroo Sat 01-Jun-13 17:51:54

My beloved grandad has bowel cancer, spread to liver, nymph nodes and spinal cords. Some tumours was grade 3, some grade 4.

Hes currently on a long dose on chemo tablets, he was on the drip but had a nasty reaction so hes on a higher dose of the tablets for now.

He seems really well, in fact he doesnt even look ill but we all the seriousness of whats happening.

So has anyone got any positive cancer stories to help boost my grandad and our family up? Would be much appreciated smile

Also if someone has a unhappy cancer story please share too, this disease is awful and maybe we could all support each other.

FourLittleDudes Sat 01-Jun-13 20:44:37

I'm sorry to read about your grandad, I have no personal experience with cancer fortunately but wanted to bump your thread incase there is anyone around who has any useful advice x

Pidgeroo Sat 01-Jun-13 23:03:25

Thankyou smile x

SanityClause Sat 01-Jun-13 23:14:02

Oh, Pidgeroo that's really hard.

DH's uncle has bowell cancer at a similar stage. I don't know what his prognosis is.

I do know quite a few people who have recovered from various cancers. MIL had bowell cancer in her late '30s/ early '40s, as did a friend. He was given a 50% chance of survival, and is still alive 5 or 6 years on. MIL is now 80.

I know a woman who has survived breast cancer, and another who survived a very rare kind of cancer of the digestive system. She was not expected to live, but is still alive more than ten years on, with no sign of any recurrence.

I don't know if this helps.

All the best for your grandad. flowers

Pidgeroo Sat 01-Jun-13 23:27:46

Thankyou Sanity thats reassuring smile just hearing how other people have fought cancer off just seems to help.

Im hoping that the fact he look and feels so well is a good sign that he will beat this smile

malteserzz Sun 02-Jun-13 12:22:30

Sorry to hear about your grandad
I have breast cancer only recently diagnosed and I suggest you come over to the tamoxifen thread in general health. It's not just for breast cancer the ladies there have all different types and are very lovely and knowledgable about cancer if you want to ask anything smile

Pidgeroo Mon 03-Jun-13 20:28:33

Thank you so much for the reply malterserzz, only just seen this. I will pop over to that thread, thankyou.

Wishing you health and a speedy recovery flowers

maillotjaune Sat 08-Jun-13 22:11:15

Sorry to hear about your grandad. My mum, dad and husband have all been diagnosed with cancer in the last 5 years (none bowel) and are doing well but the most similar situation to your grandad that I know of was my grandmother.

At diagnosis her bowel cancer was advanced enough to have spread to her bladder and she ended up having some bowel and bladder removed. Sher was discharged into a nursing home, fully paid for because her prognosis was so poor.

Just as well it was a good one because she was there for nearly 8 years, I think, and something else got her in the end (aged 93). You just never know.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 09-Jun-13 08:56:46

I am afraid my story is desperately sad yesterday a beautiful, wonderful friend (only 40) lost her fight against the evilness as she called it. Three and a half years she fought bowel cancer and boy did she fight it. All along she had the most amazing positive attitude and live every second of life to the very full. She took every treatment offered and some of them were radical - the last being total bowel resection. She took part in several clinical trials hoping that even if they didn't benefit her others would get some benefit.
Her attitude definitely increased the duration of her life and the quality of it. Only a short while ago she celebrated her birthday in hospital and last year she decorated her hospital bed with union jacks for the Olympics.
We have all had the same attitude and our time to be angry and sad is now she has gone.
My advice to you would be to help your granddad to do absolutely anything he would like to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now